• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2 Women, 2 bikes, 17 States, 5 Provinces, 23 riding days, 11870 KM

Wow! Great job and looks like a fantastic trip. Didn't plan on sitting here all morning reading but just couldn't stop. Really enjoyed it but now I'm behind schedule.:bolt:bolt

Super reporting!

Your ability to organize and pack everything up is only second to the great ride report! The ride report covered everything, and I'm not even done reading it!

Outta this world! Wow! Great job!:thumb

thanks for all the nice comments....and to think I have a few more days to post! :) Which I think is the best to come~

August 9th 2010

Welcome back we say to ourselves to BC. We did not even have to see a sign that said BC because we hit pouring rain....let me back up for a sec.

P1020179.jpg

Left Hinton, Alberta around 0845 with a temperature of 13 Celsius and overcast skies. We properly inserted our rain liners this time just in case as the forecast was for possible thunderstorms.

Went back to rip off Jasper because we were about an hour east after we could not find accommodations last night. Had a great breakfast at Lou Lou's Pizza. Yep a pizza joint that cooks a mean breakfast. After yet again getting some grub and coffee in us we headed to BC. Only took an hour to get to the border of the 2 Provinces.

Once we got into BC seriously it started to rain. We had drizzle most of the hour but BC rain. Got to Mt. Robson for a bit of a break with the weather and our butts....we could not see one Rocky Mtn while coming into BC unfortunately. All the mountains were in the clouds. The temperature range for today was a low of 10 and a high of 13. That is Celsius for those American folks reading this.

Cheryl had the GPS set for Clearwater, BC and although from Mt. Robson it was only 176 KM away it seemed further. We got pissed on and the temperature was dropping a bit. Neither of us had our Gerbing Liners plugged in for heat. In hindsight we should have but we made the trip to our little cabin in Clearwater. On the way down to Clearwater you can obviously see how devastating the pine beetle has been to this region. So many trees have been damaged or killed by this bugger and even though there were low clouds we could still see the impact. Very sad. Also, when riding the bikes you can really get a good sense of smells and today it smelt like Christmas trees. Very cool!

After we arrived safely in Clearwater we showered up, laid out our gear to dry and got warm. Took a nap and then went for dinner.

We are now on Pacific Time and we gained another hour. I like gaining the hour versus losing it. Still not ready to go home we might spend one more day out exploring places in BC and head home Wednesday. Just sort of not wanting this to end.

Something I forgot to mention about North Dakota and Saskatchewan. They appear to have a lot of OIL. Spoke to a woman in Saskatchewan and she said the oil companies knock on farmer's doors, inquire about setting up oil drills and pay them dearly for it. She said the initial payment could be in the millions and then the companies pay rent for as long as the drill provides oil. Once the drill or whatever they call it, an oil well? Is dry, the equipment stays there for 5 years and then can be safely removed. All the while the farmers still get rent for a drill out of service. Cheryl and I want to own just one drill....and rent it out!

Today is day 24, our tires still have tread and our butts could so do another 12000km.

I guess you can call this a Reflection

Thought this might be an interesting tidbit of information...since July 16th our departure date we have ridden in such a huge difference in temperatures. Not all in one day but we have hit a low of 8 and a high of 41.5 Celsius. Our boots and gear have been able to handle whatever we were dealt with except the Milwaukee record breaking rain storm.

To recapture they got 7 inches of rain in 3-4 hours and we were in that for over 2 hours. In the end after these entire KM traveled I am happy with our gear but we both just might have to upgrade our jackets to a Goretex motorcycle quality. Have to save our pennies.

In Montana we saw many crosses on the sides of the roads...this was to signify a causality on the road. We assume they do this instead of all the flowers/memorials that people leave in the memory of the deceased. There were A LOT of them!

We never really thought taking a trip like this was a big deal but about 100% of the guys we met on the road thought this was indeed a HUGE deal and were surprised to hear that we just thought about going cross country in April. We hardly saw any women on the road that looked like they were touring. We saw many out for rides with their boyfriends and husbands for short trips.

We saw no other woman pair on the road, I guess that is why the men were surprised to see us!
:ca:usa

Last edited:
August 10th 2010 - Day Before we go home! Day 25

P1020188.jpg

On Tuesday the 10th we woke up to partly cloudy skies in Clearwater with an immediate task to do. We had to ride 96 KM round trip out of the way to Wells Gray Provincial Park to see Helmcken Falls and Dawson Falls.

P1020183.jpg

P1020181.jpg

P1020184.jpg

P1020187.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics025.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics024.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics027.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics028.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics030.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics029.jpg

What a great diversion and well worth it. The falls were beautiful and apparently Cheryl was there when she was young. Thanks to Cheryl's father Jim who led us to this treasure. After taking pics and appreciating how nature can be so fierce and stunning all the same we were back on bikes heading west. Weather was soooooooooooo perfect for riding.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MiPWC8-AEec?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MiPWC8-AEec?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Starting out around 12 Celsius and high of 22. We rode to Little Fort, BC and took Rt 24 which turned into a dirt which too us to 70 Mile House. 46 KM of just us, the dirt/gravel and gorgeous scenery. Not a technical ride but so much fun to get away from everyone. Back on tar for awhile we got to Clinton, BC and took what our GPS called unpaved road. We had no idea what to expect other than there would be no tar for another 30+ KM.

Last edited:
August 10th 2010 con't - Videos soon!

Immediately as we turned on to this uneven dirt road there was a sign saying steep incline. Steep I thought? Where was this going to take us? Turned on my helmet cam and headed blindly up this interesting pathway. We kept climbing and climbing, the road was narrow, and if you looked to your right there was no shoulder just a cliff!

We kept climbing in altitude and I think we got to about 1600 meters high at one point. This road was bit more technical and really glad we had the K60 tires on board. Having to stand on the pegs the entire climb of the mountain it was a bit tiring at times. When we got to the summit of something we do not know the name, the view was breath taking. We pulled over and just took in the scenery and it was just Cheryl and I. Not another human or car in sight. Total Kodak moment and I think we spent about ?¢ hour just loving the view.

P1020199.jpg

P1020198.jpg

P1020201.jpg

P1020200.jpg

P1020202.jpg

The following are pics from all the dirt roads we did this day!

P1020190.jpg

P1020189.jpg

P1020192.jpg

P1020193.jpg

P1020195.jpg

P1020197.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics042.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics038.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics032.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics036.jpg

Aug789102010Cherylspics043.jpg

Back on the bikes, and down we went. Dirt turned in gravel, some big rocks, clay and mud. Awesome to say the least and again perfect weather. Got back to reality and headed towards Lillooet, BC where we thought we could spend the night. NOT! Small Native town and no place where we would want to stay. Then off to Lytton, BC to have a peak for accommodations and same thing, nothing. It was getting late and we had to make a decision, go to Merritt, BC about 146 KM away or back track and go to Cache Creek about 80 something KM.

We choose Cache Creek, stayed at a Sandman hotel that was older and met some other bikers who just did the Arctic Circle and Alaska. Exchanged stories and looked over all the bikes, had some beer and then went to bed late. By the way, everyone was riding HarleyÔÇÖs except one BMW RT rider and they all loved our bikes and wished they had a GS up in Alaska. This was a great day for us especially since it was really the last day of fun riding for us. We went to bed feeling very lucky to have been able to just experience the back country and to be able to do this whole trip with one another​

Last edited:
What a very nice ride report Leslie. I'm glad you both had a great time and made it back safe. It is great to see ladies take trips like this. Hopefully more will choose to do so after your report. Really enjoyed your report.

2 Videos

First video is the steep mountainous climb we did and the other is just tell you how much we have been enjoying ourselves....I have a few more videos to add

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/crpo-6aCUXA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/crpo-6aCUXA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cm3aRb9mI9Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cm3aRb9mI9Q?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

August 11th 2010, Last Day (26) & Home

August 11, 2010 we got a late start. Not really excited for this ride because we knew the destination would be our house and the end. So, we took our time with breakfast, chatted some more with other bikers taking their time as well and then as usual packed up and headed west on highway 1 through the Fraser River Canyon. Very beautiful part of BC and even highway 1 was fun at times to ride. We got to HellÔÇÖs gate, just outside Hope and decided to take the air tram down to the riverÔÇÖs edge. We have driven by this tourist trap before and decided what the hell, we will pay the $$ and take it down and be a tourist. Was fun and interesting to see the deepest most active part of the Fraser River. http://www.hellsgateairtram.com/

P1020215.jpg

P1020214.jpg

P1020218.jpg

P1020219.jpg

P1020223.jpg

P1020224.jpg

P1020225.jpg

P1020226.jpg

P1020227.jpg

P1020228.jpg

Hung out for awhile and then headed to Harrison Hot Springs for lunch, rode to CherylÔÇÖs fatherÔÇÖs house in Mission, BC to say HELLO! And then cruised in to Maple Ridge at about 1545 in the afternoon. 11870 KM later after 23 days of riding and being away for 26 we are home. Great to see the dogs and our cat. They were taken care of by Taylor and Dave. Taylor is CherylÔÇÖs cousin. The house did not burn down and all looks good. Hung out and talked to some neighbors, had a beer or two, took the hard luggage off the dirty bikes and thatÔÇÖs it. Sad this is over but fortunate we got to do this tour. Might have to reflect for the next few days and I will post things we learned and what we might be planning next. We are officially addicted to touring and love our bikes.

FinalKM.jpg

Home.jpg

I can now reveal that our bikes, 2010 BMW F650GS, handled fantastic as both a touring and off road machine. Almost flawless and our tires are still alive and well with at least a few thousand KM left. We could easily get back on our bikes tomorrow and go away for another month. No kidding and most would think we were done or would be sore. Nope.if we had the chance we would take off and Cheryl and I worked so well as a pair. Got on each others nerves every once in awhile but in the end she is my partner and best friend and I would never had wanted to do this with anyone but her.

Heidenau K60 Tires

One last look at how my tread looked on the last day with over 14500 KM on them~!

The plug in the rear from Day 1!

K60tires4.jpg

K60tires3.jpg

K60tires5.jpg

The front!

K60tires1.jpg

Until next time!:wave

couldn't resist adding another video of when we were on the pavement one minute and then nothing but dirt for a long time....

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4CPuGrZi80A?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4CPuGrZi80A?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Maybe some useful info?

Just some advise I thought I would share about wearing our under wear...LDComfort

That is indeed your underwear so no cotton boxers or underwear needed and should not be worn. Also, for women, if you can ride in the HEAT/HOT months with LD or any under gear, try not to wear a cotton bra or any bra for that matter. Using under gear helped us and saved us from getting any chaffing, rashes or experiencing any discomfort whats so ever. Just our opinion and what worked for us.:bikes

On this day something weird happened to me while riding. We were on I-90 doing about 140km/hr when we hit a very uneven long stretch of road. I was feeling a little tired but I guess was not aware how tired I was. Out of nowhere I began to wobble ...as I would call it going into an uncontrollable wobble spin. Then I seemed to have blacked out or fallen asleep. My partner said she was beeping her horn like crazy because she thought I was a goner into the center median. For some reason I awoke from whatever it was to find myself not in control of the bike but somehow managed to slow down without down shifting from 6. I was in the left lane by now and I did think for a moment if I was to crash I would try to slide the bike on the grass. Thankfully I did not crash and got to the right shoulder and saw my bike was still in 6th gear. Totally freaky and scary. The heat, 90 degrees and maybe not enough food + being tired made for one wake up call for both us. 5 Hr energy drinks came into my daily morning routine after this incident!

WOW. that is scary. You are so lucky. Great Ride Report, though. I agree about seeing folks riding without helmets on. I grew up in Wisconsin and recently when I was back there, I saw people in flip-flops and shorts riding on the highway! and of course no helmets. THIN THE HERD, i say!

the "naked riders" we think are nuts but hey....maybe they are on to something we full gear riders do not know? :brad

I can not imagine riding in the HOT weather we did without protection....we rode for 10 hrs in over 90 degrees and if our arms and legs were not covered we would have dehydrated after an hour or so....would have had to stop way more and I doubt anyone not wearing gear could ride that long in such heat without needing a very long nap.

Great ride

Ladies thank you for sharing your ride with us.
PS. what tires did you use?
thx
Garry
Ft Sask AB

Back