• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tophat - New Style Wheel Spacer ?

B

bostonmish

I am rebuilding a /6 front wheel and need to replace the "tophat" spacers. The old ones have wear grooves from the seals and heavy pitting from corrosion.

The PN I came up with is 36311230322. I got it from here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0277&mospid=51889&btnr=36_0154&hg=36&fg=05

The Tophat Spacer is item #5 in the diagram. BMW calls it a "Compression Ring"

When the parts arrived, I thought there was some mistake. The new ones don't have the wide "hat brim" ...as seen in the photos. Both the old and new are 13mm long.

Does anyone know whether the old type "wide brim" tophat spacer is still available? ...under another PN? ...or is the new one meant to supercede and replace the old style (end of story)?

--
Michael Stoic

Attachments

• DSCN0001_1.jpg
    DSCN0001_1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 83
Another View

Attachments

• DSCN0003_1.jpg
    DSCN0003_1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 81
Top Hats more like caps now...

The wide brim 'hat' has been replaced by the 77 on narrow brim. The part numbers are the same for early and late style so the wide brim hats have been superseded. The length is the important part. Think of the new ones as lighter in weight for better performance. It used to be called a ÔÇ£thrust sleeveÔÇØ and itÔÇÖs always had that part number.

I took this wheel apart two weeks ago and found one of each...took me a minute to locate the picture...

Last edited:
Boston...

The new style will be fine, I would put a very light coat of grease or oil on them and insert them with the brim to the inside or against the inner race of the bearing. I believe it can go in either way and sometimes I've heard debate about this. I really think it amounts to personal preference. Personally I like the brim on the inside of the seal.

Thanks guys! I appreciate you sharing your experience!!

...I've got the inner races in the freezer. Tomorrow I get to start putting things back in... now that I know my parts set is complete!

--
Michael Stoic

Good luck with the installation. Keep us posted. I hope the outer races are chilling also. Looking forward to hearing about the pree-load procesure. Do you have some 0.02mm or 0.05mm shims in case you need them?

...outer! :)

I've got the Dave Ausherman's shim assortment. All I need are the sidecar rig preload specs. I just got another thread started on that topic...

--
Michael Stoic

Shim assortment

Where can you get Dave Ausherman shim assortment set? Did not mean to high jack the thread, but can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Thanks,

Ken

Back