• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike to Bike Communication Recommendations

heejrbmw

Looking for a recommendation for bike to bike communication product that is worthy of consideration and not too expensive. I'm looking for something that may not exist. Has anyone had any success with a FRS/GMRS radio set with a full face helmet speaker/microphone combo? Is it even worth considering? I don't need communication over about 1/2 mile at most.

FRS/GMRS works fine, but I use it as part of an autocom system. Some of the high output bluetooth setups may work for you. Check out the Scala reviews on webbikeworld.com.

My husband and I have the Scala Rider Q2 set and it has been a relationship saver on many levels. Works well, clear, uncomplicated and comes pre set with the units coordinated.

My wife and I use the J&M CB unit. it works well and comes in handy for talking to other riders. most riders in the U. S. that have a CB stay on channel 1. complete setup for two people on one bike costs about $800. to add other units to other bikes (we have 4) costs an extra $400 per bike. if you don't want to invest that much, I hear Chatter Box works well.

I use the Blueant F4 Interphone. It works with up to three devices (cell phone, ipod, voice GPS or intercom between two bikes, etc.) I don't use mine for intercom, as I ride solo and not typically in a group of bikes, but the clarity is great and installation was simple. I wrote a product review and installation report for it here in the gear section. The distance for intercom is supposed to be 500 meters.

http://www.myblueant.com/products/headsets/interphone/f4/index.php

No love for the Sena's?

My wife and i both two units that we mounted to our helmets for about $250. Works great for up to about 1/2 mile distance between us. I use a cable to pipe in my XM radio. She doesn't want the music.....

They are wonderful.....:kiss

Looking for a recommendation for bike to bike communication product that is worthy of consideration and not too expensive. I'm looking for something that may not exist. Has anyone had any success with a FRS/GMRS radio set with a full face helmet speaker/microphone combo? Is it even worth considering? I don't need communication over about 1/2 mile at most.

Yes sir... '06 LT with the stock COMM system using Shoei flip-up. I use the TK3131 from Kenwood (discontinued). Pluses???

• No hash and trash due to squelch being set to low
  • Crystal clear communications of 1/2 mile or more
  • Squelch does not break my MP3 player / FM Radio / Pilot to co-pilot discussions
  • Small, lightweight and rechargeable anywhere there is a plug
  • Window that tells you what channel and DQT settings you are on
  • Lockable input - results in the radio not changing channels when you bump it
  • Useable off bike - nothing like having the radio available when your waiting for
    companions to arrive

Minuses???
  • Proprietary cable for VII to radio, however it works with the VII very well
  • Again, proprietary cable only 12 inches long. I made one that's 28 inches and makes the radio usable from a tank bag. If'n you tinker, it's not really an issue.
  • Discontinued - finding them could be tough.

ICOM also has a FRS/GMRS radio... Just don't like the way it works on the VII system.

my $0.02...

Would I recommend it? You betcha...

+1 on Sena

Easy to set up, 1/2 mile or so range, logical interface and outstanding support. And if the music is important to you - almost audiophile quality sound thru the speakers.

I did a lot of looking and testing before settling on the Sena SMH10, just edging out the Scala G4. Both are great units, I just liked the big volume wheel on the SMH10. Both can be had for around $350 for a 2-unit set.

There are Autocom headsets with PTT which go straight to a Kenwood radio. I'll be more than happy to look into these for you. The headset and kit is $199. The radios will run between $50 and $250. There are cheaper ways to do the same goal, but they aren't as reliable and nowhere near the same build quality.

Back