• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Register Garmin 2730

MOONDOG59

So I score a Garmin 2730 on Flea-bay and I go to update the maps and find that it is previously registered and I can't update it. I shoot off an e-mail to who I bought it off of and then one to Garmin. What happens if this guy won't unregister it or can't because stolen goods or he's the 4th or 5th owner down the line? Will Garmin unlock it or leave me hanging?

And don't come back saying I should have bought a Zumo. Too expensive for my blood. :)

So I score a Garmin 2730 on Flea-bay and I go to update the maps and find that it is previously registered and I can't update it. I shoot off an e-mail to who I bought it off of and then one to Garmin. What happens if this guy won't unregister it or can't because stolen goods or he's the 4th or 5th owner down the line? Will Garmin unlock it or leave me hanging?

And don't come back saying I should have bought a Zumo. Too expensive for my blood. :)

My experience? You are screwed. :banghead

I contacted the seller and he unregistered it but I still can't register it. I'll have to contact Garmin to see what gives. But I won't be out any money with the PayPal warrenty just got to put up with the hassle. I imagine there is a way around the register snafu. And what I payed, is my business:)

Call Garmin - they are quite good at sorting these things out. The one time I did have a terrible CS rep I asked to be escalated and the manager couldn't have been more helpful.

I contacted the seller and he unregistered it but I still can't register it. I'll have to contact Garmin to see what gives. But I won't be out any money with the PayPal warrenty just got to put up with the hassle. I imagine there is a way around the register snafu. And what I payed, is my business:)

Sometimes the "un-register" process doesn't work well on the Garmin web site and it has to be done more than once. At least that is my experience.

Good luck

BMW Garmin support

Lost another hardrive on my netbook where I host the Garmin City Navigator for programming the memory chip in my 2003 Navigator.

Couldn't get the programs to reload. Called the BMW contact number for help; they passed me to a Garmin software expert who set it up to control my computer and install the software. Everything turned out superbly.

This doesn't address the issues raised by the original poster, but it does affirm that BMW and Garmin apparently work well together and support BMW customers.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX
2003 K12LT
1993K11LT
1991K75RT

Well it is good to hear the positive tone from posters. My second contact with the seller sounds promising only problem being is that Garmin is closed for the weekend. So I'll put my patience hat on and grin and bear it. And I left an e-mail with Garmin also and it is a 2-3 day turn around. So I'll put my other patience hat on and grin about that one also. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of grinning :)

First, you have to understand what you bought. The StreetPilot 2730 is a discontinued product from 2005. It's more than 5 years old.

You have to ask the question of "what's changed in the mapping or GPS capabilities" since then? Frankly, not much. The 2730 is perfectly capable of GPS functions [no change there] and certainly navigation at street level without any changes to the basemaps. Presuming you bought a unit that came with the Mapsource CD/DVD with the unlock code, you can install it on your computer, plan your routes and upload them to the unit. Sounds to me like you're just trying to unlock the previous owners account at Garmin for updates. Is that right?

If you didn't get Mapsource with the unlocks - you can still use the unit just fine. However, you'll plan your routing on the unit. Not as convenient as the MapSource on the computer - but still usable.

Do some research. I appreciate that you may not have funds to buy the latest and greatest, but you need to understand that if you don't - there are some limitations that you're going to have to concede to when you buy an older used GPS.

All that said, Garmin is pretty reasonable to work with. Call them when they're open and ask for help.

moondog, I bought a 2730 about 3-4 months ago. My unit has the 2008 version. It is very capable. I would not be too worried about updates. I bought mine just in time for a 5 state adventure and was worried about not having the latest maps too but it worked fine. After that I realized that I don't need the updates.

The updates help - I got the 2009 update for my 2610 but it still misses a fair amount of roads built in the last 5+ years (and maddeningly, will STILL not allow you to route on Interstate 66 west from Washington DC - for some reason it thinks I-66 stops on one side of the Beltway and restarts on the other and tells you to exit into neighborhoods, etc...)

Ok the latest. The former owner contacted Garmin and Garmin had to get a supervisor to unregister the GPS. Well that didn't work. So I got home and spent 48 minutes on the phone of which about 44 minutes was waiting for a technician. (Good thing I have unlimited minutes). The guy asked my name address, username and serial number of unit and within 4 minutes, unlocked and ready to go. Other then the wait, fair service. Took too many times to get it unlocked. I sense they probably don't do this much so no one was up on the process.
So I loaded the new map, which took forever and she is ready to go.

The POI's found where?

Wow, That's great news. Like I said, Garmin is pretty good trying to help out.

I'm really pleased for you. Enjoy your new riding tool.

If, I buy a pawnshop unit - in the box, but without a security code, what is my likelyhood of being able to get Garmin to provide the unlock code-as above?

Teh only way that question is going to be answered is by Garmin. Buying without an unlock code is pretty risky business IMO.

Back