Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Register Garmin 2730

Moondog

Register Garmin 2730

So I score a Garmin 2730 on Flea-bay and I go to update the maps and find that it is previously registered and I can't update it. I shoot off an e-mail to who I bought it off of and then one to Garmin. What happens if this guy won't unregister it or can't because stolen goods or he's the 4th or 5th owner down the line? Will Garmin unlock it or leave me hanging?

And don't come back saying I should have bought a Zumo. Too expensive for my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by moondog View Post
    So I score a Garmin 2730 on Flea-bay and I go to update the maps and find that it is previously registered and I can't update it. I shoot off an e-mail to who I bought it off of and then one to Garmin. What happens if this guy won't unregister it or can't because stolen goods or he's the 4th or 5th owner down the line? Will Garmin unlock it or leave me hanging?

And don't come back saying I should have bought a Zumo. Too expensive for my blood.
    My experience? You are screwed.
    Ride Well

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    My experience? You are screwed.
    ditto
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    And exactly how expensive is that un-updatable GPS box that you did buy?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Moving to GEAR Forum- also ANY UPDATE?
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Moondog
    I contacted the seller and he unregistered it but I still can't register it. I'll have to contact Garmin to see what gives. But I won't be out any money with the PayPal warrenty just got to put up with the hassle. I imagine there is a way around the register snafu. And what I payed, is my business

Call Garmin - they are quite good at sorting these things out. The one time I did have a terrible CS rep I asked to be escalated and the manager couldn't have been more helpful.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

I contacted the seller and he unregistered it but I still can't register it. I'll have to contact Garmin to see what gives. But I won't be out any money with the PayPal warrenty just got to put up with the hassle. I imagine there is a way around the register snafu. And what I payed, is my business
    Sometimes the "un-register" process doesn't work well on the Garmin web site and it has to be done more than once. At least that is my experience.

Good luck
    Ride Well

BMW Garmin support

Lost another hardrive on my netbook where I host the Garmin City Navigator for programming the memory chip in my 2003 Navigator.

Couldn't get the programs to reload. Called the BMW contact number for help; they passed me to a Garmin software expert who set it up to control my computer and install the software. Everything turned out superbly.

This doesn't address the issues raised by the original poster, but it does affirm that BMW and Garmin apparently work well together and support BMW customers.

Larry Johnson
    El Paso TX
    2003 K12LT
    1993K11LT
    1991K75RT

Moondog
    Well it is good to hear the positive tone from posters. My second contact with the seller sounds promising only problem being is that Garmin is closed for the weekend. So I'll put my patience hat on and grin and bear it. And I left an e-mail with Garmin also and it is a 2-3 day turn around. So I'll put my other patience hat on and grin about that one also. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of grinning

First, you have to understand what you bought. The StreetPilot 2730 is a discontinued product from 2005. It's more than 5 years old.

You have to ask the question of "what's changed in the mapping or GPS capabilities" since then? Frankly, not much. The 2730 is perfectly capable of GPS functions [no change there] and certainly navigation at street level without any changes to the basemaps. Presuming you bought a unit that came with the Mapsource CD/DVD with the unlock code, you can install it on your computer, plan your routes and upload them to the unit. Sounds to me like you're just trying to unlock the previous owners account at Garmin for updates. Is that right?

If you didn't get Mapsource with the unlocks - you can still use the unit just fine. However, you'll plan your routing on the unit. Not as convenient as the MapSource on the computer - but still usable.

Do some research. I appreciate that you may not have funds to buy the latest and greatest, but you need to understand that if you don't - there are some limitations that you're going to have to concede to when you buy an older used GPS.

All that said, Garmin is pretty reasonable to work with. Call them when they're open and ask for help.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

RSPENNACHIO
    moondog, I bought a 2730 about 3-4 months ago. My unit has the 2008 version. It is very capable. I would not be too worried about updates. I bought mine just in time for a 5 state adventure and was worried about not having the latest maps too but it worked fine. After that I realized that I don't need the updates.

The updates help - I got the 2009 update for my 2610 but it still misses a fair amount of roads built in the last 5+ years (and maddeningly, will STILL not allow you to route on Interstate 66 west from Washington DC - for some reason it thinks I-66 stops on one side of the Beltway and restarts on the other and tells you to exit into neighborhoods, etc...)
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

I remember telling you years ago you should move Ted. I wonder if Garmin is hinting I was right......
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Moondog
    Ok the latest. The former owner contacted Garmin and Garmin had to get a supervisor to unregister the GPS. Well that didn't work. So I got home and spent 48 minutes on the phone of which about 44 minutes was waiting for a technician. (Good thing I have unlimited minutes). The guy asked my name address, username and serial number of unit and within 4 minutes, unlocked and ready to go. Other then the wait, fair service. Took too many times to get it unlocked. I sense they probably don't do this much so no one was up on the process.
    So I loaded the new map, which took forever and she is ready to go.

The POI's found where?