• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does Anyone Like the Olympia AST Touring Jacket?

RedSand

I need a riding suit but I don't know what to get - the prices are so different, as are the materials, features & so forth.

The Olympia AST Touring Jacket seems like a good item - especially for the price.

If I got that touring jacket, would anyone recommend pants that I could use to go with it?

. . . and . . .

Would it ever seem feasible to use my 2 piece perforated leather racing suit with a rain suit to provide the road and weather protection and comfort that I'm looking for when touring? (ya, I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm riding around now with my 2 piece racing suit on a GS and I feel it looks . . . well, pretty stupid).

Thanks & ride safe,

Brad

I have had an Olympia AST Touring jacket for about a year. It is probably the best all around riding jacket that I have owned....And I have tried many different brands over the years. Just got back from 5000 mile trip to the National with cool temps in Idaho and high temps in Nebraska with comfort all the way.

Great ventilation system even in hot weather. It comes with a nice quality jacket liner that is good looking enough to wear anyplace. Good quality shoulder, elbow and back protection.

Sorry to say that I canÔÇÖt comment on the waterproofness. I have only been in short thunderstorm with it, no all day rains. I always carry a Gore Tex rain jacket just in case.

Yes, I am very happy with my Olympia AST and agree with the previous assessment. I have ridden in rain a few times and it has kept me dry, aslos have the Olympia ranger 2 pants.

Yes, I am very happy with my Olympia AST and agree with the previous assessment. I have ridden in rain a few times and it has kept me dry, aslos have the Olympia ranger 2 pants.

+1. I have the same setup and recently did a 6 hour ride home from northern Vermont in the rain and stayed nice and dry. The only issue I had with mine was that the collar was a little big, but I also think that I should have gone with a smaller size to get a tighter fit. My local dealer did not have all the sizes available when I purchased and I had to take what was on the rack. At speed without any liner (I use my Gerbings jacket in place of the AST's liner) I get a lot of ballooning in the front chest area. I'm probably going to replace my AST with a Phantom 1-piece suit for general touring and commuting to work, which is basically the AST upper with attached pants. I really think that you can't go wrong with the AST when you compare its price and features.

Brad, PM me if you happen to be in the market for a Medium Pewter Gray AST. I'm going to list it in the Flea Market.

The only issue I had with mine was that the collar was a little big, but I also think that I should have gone with a smaller size to get a tighter fit. My local dealer did not have all the sizes available when I purchased and I had to take what was on the rack. At speed without any liner (I use my Gerbings jacket in place of the AST's liner) I get a lot of ballooning in the front chest area.

Similar comments as above - I like it but in temps over 75 I get hot in it that is why I got the Olympia Air Glide.

Back to the AST, great spring/fall/ winter jacket.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments

It seems like a super great deal - the sand colored AST's are on sale for $199, other colors are $240

I'm going to pick up some Alpinestars waterproof boots also.

With the pants, I normally wear a 34 and I don't plan on wearing my riding pants over jeans - so - I'm guessing I should order size 34 pants?

Thanks

Ride safe,

Brad

I've had my AST jacket for two weeks and other than the lack of a pocket on the sleeve, I like it. (I suppose it can be modified...)

Thanks for the comments

It seems like a super great deal - the sand colored AST's are on sale for $199, other colors are $240

I'm going to pick up some Alpinestars waterproof boots also.

With the pants, I normally wear a 34 and I don't plan on wearing my riding pants over jeans - so - I'm guessing I should order size 34 pants?

Thanks

Ride safe,

Brad
Go to the Olympia web site and ask your size questions and you'll get an answer from the man himself. Kevin Rhea,owner,designer,etc..

Go to the Olympia web site and ask your size questions and you'll get an answer from the man himself. Kevin Rhea,owner,designer,etc..

Yes, thaks. That's really pretty amazing - I sent my sizing information and he emailed me back - and quickly too! :thumb

My local shop didn't have the AST jacket in the size & color Mr. Rhea suggested so they ordered it & the Alpinestars boots (& yeah, I know those boots leak - no problem, we're all made from water, what's the big deal).

I'm anxious to get this stuff together and go riding in gear that --finally-- looks like it's suitable for a GS rider (if that makes sense).

Ride safe y'all,

Brad
(and yeah, I can say that because I was born & raised in Alabama - WAR EAGLE!!!)

Hig VIZ AST here:)

I've got the bright one, ast jacket and have had no issues. However, the bright yellow is easy to get dirty and I've only washed it once in the washer with no issues. The high viz is a plus in all other considerations, as folks take notice indeed:). My first jacket like this in 45 years, with a serious "bright" look:) and as an aging rider, I feel its well worth the many comments I get from everybody in the public:). None are negative. :thumbRandy

I have the AST and Ranger pants also. I looked at most of the brands in that price range, and I felt the Olympia stuff fit best and seemed well made.

I did a 9000 mile trip to Alaska a few weeks ago. One time after hours in rain and side wind I did have some water make it through the front, but then it is basically a 3 season jacket and not a one piece rain suit.

When I got home it took a dunk in the tub with some Woolite, and the gear looks like new.

I'm very happy with it.

Back