• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

night riding

I prefer day riding, but I am not afraid of the dark. Have done many trips (Iron Butt rides are the first things to pop into my mind) that have had a lot of night involved. I live in the mountains these days so I ride in the dark a lot. And baby, I mean DARK. I see deer, coyote, raccoons, you just have to be alert. Slow down and not only do not out ride your lights, ride well under their reach (thank god for HID). I have enough forward facing light to set a fire ... both long range and auxiliary lights aimed at the road edges. If your eye sight is bad at night, don't ride. The key is your own comfort level. You can do things to make it better, but you are the ultimate control.

I have been on rides both day and night where deer have caused an accident or near miss. Honestly, percentage wise, it happens in the day more often than in the evening. My Native American Name is "Rides With Deer" since on several occasions I have been surrounded by the critters trotting down the road. But I am so much more afraid of day light commute time, idiots on cell phones, soccer moms with Starbucks and yelling at their kids, people trying to find a different CD to listen too, people still half asleep in the morning or angry at their boss at the end of the day. Give me a long night of riding over 1 hour in Rush Hour any day.

anyone think those deer whistle things work?

Read somewhere once that somebody's state patrol tested them at a zoo using compressed air.

Did they work? Yup - targeted animals (deer, elk) reacted to the hyper-sonic (above the level of human hearing) frequency.

They appeared alerted, but then ran in each and every direction they wanted to anyways.

My advice?: Invest in the bridge. :D

anyone think those deer whistle things work?

Of course they work! They also work on elephants, giraffes, lions, tigers and bears because I've not hit any of them either. :D

(...just in case the sarcasm was missed.... don't waste your money on them.) :nono

Of course they work! They also work on elephants, giraffes, lions, tigers and bears because I've not hit any of them either. :D

(...just in case the sarcasm was missed.... don't waste your money on them.) :nono

Elephants? Man, I need a set then ... I keep having near misses with elephants. :D

I live near the 49th Parallel, and thus for several months a year my rides to and from work are done in the dark.

I haven't seen it suggested, so I'll mention it here: The best way to improve night vision is to look through a clean face shield and a clean wind screen (if applicable).

If you can't see, everything else is pointless. Don't be a cheapskate. If your face shield is scratched, replace it. If it's dirty, clean it. Plexus works great, and actually buffs out tiny scratches. Same for your windscreen if you've got one.

You'll be surprised how much easier you'll see at night if you're not looking through layers of scratches and grime.

Read somewhere once that somebody's state patrol tested them at a zoo using compressed air.

Did they work? Yup - targeted animals (deer, elk) reacted to the hyper-sonic (above the level of human hearing) frequency.

They appeared alerted, but then ran in each and every direction they wanted to anyways.

My advice?: Invest in the bridge. :D

so even IF they will actually hear it.. that is no guarantee they will run AWAY from you.

Night....

There was a time that I actually enjoyed riding at night. Less traffic, quiet, mystery, and adventure. Smart? Probably not, but big fun. Some memorable rides - Vermont countryside after dark while at National rally a few years back; a midnight departure en route to the National in Charleston, - all highway-just me and the truckers; and another all-nighter after an evening shift at work-DC to W. Virginia and back - I did coast into the gas station at 8 AM in the morning. Plenty of 4 AM departures for day work and 10:30 PM treks home after evening shifts. I rolled up on a deer carcus on a dark road once and as I approached, the deer picked its head up and looked at me. I almost soiled my shorts. All I needed was Rod Sterling and the Twilight Zone theme on the radio. As I get older and wiser, the night time miles have decreased. I guess that's what experience does. I remember riding into Manhattan after work to see a lady friend while dodging taxis, buses, and aggressive pedestrians. Yes...she was worth it! To be young, dumb and very lucky.

Ron
'99 K12LT

Greetings
I hate night riding. I am very nervous and drive slow. Jet LOVES riding on the back at high rates of speed across interstates highway watching the stars, she says it is amazing. I will never understand because I am to tense to look anywhere but straight ahead with quick I eye movements waiting for the bambie attacks. I avoid the dark side.
Tony

Mostly not

I generally work nights so I obviously have to ride home at night, but it's bright-lights-big-city and the near suburbs so it's really not much different than day time. Probably more drunks, generally less traffic. But in terms of touring and being out in the country-side at night, not so much.

I like to try and get an early start, up and out before dawn, but I always feel better when I can get a good visual on my bike, my tires, and load before I set off. I always feel squirrely till that first gas/breakfast stop when I can make sure everything's attached the way it's supposed to be.

Southern Tier of NY

I live in the "Southern Tier of NY," which many will recognize as prime deer hunting territory. We have the ideal habitat for deer: mixed woodlands and farms and the deer population is very high. For that reason my simple rule is not to ride at night. Heck, I've had enough close calls with deer in the daytime, when I scan for them and can spot them running towards the road. You'll never see them running towards the road in the dark, no matter what light set up you have.

I also have to acknowledge that I'm not getting any younger, and my night vision is simply not as good as in my youth.

I won't travel on the bike in the dark, sorry.

Harry

That's what I love!

That's what I love about this forum. Other than riding my scoot to the shop for a tune-up, I haven't ridden since August (work), and the above post is a great reminder just prior to my riding season. Tho' 99% of my commute is well-lighted city streets and freeway, that other per-cent is a 1/2 mile trip thru the un-lighted forest preserve, and tho' not at all the numbers of deer that AK mentions above, there are still some deer, and they jump in front of motor vehicles and each year several of them get hit.

and it's well w/in the infamously statistical "5 miles from home" where most accidents occur.

Thanx for the great reminder!

Last edited:
That's what I love about this forum. Other than riding my scoot to the shop for a tune-up, I haven't ridden since August (work), and the above post is a great reminder just prior to my riding season. Tho' 99% of my commute is well-lighted city streets and freeway, that other per-cent is a 1/2 mile trip thru the un-lighted forest preserve, and tho' not at all the numbers of deer that AK mentions above, there are still some deer, and they jump in front of motor vehicles and each year several of them get hit.

and it's well w/in the infamously statistical "5 miles from home" where most accidents occur.

Thanx for the great reminder!

I've heard about that statistic that "most accidents will happen to me within five miles of where I live."

Believing this to be true, I'm selling the house and moving. Too dangerous here. :wave

Last edited:
Slow it down a gear

Where you are determines your perspective.

The bottom line is to be acutely aware of, and ready to respond to, the specific hazards of your situation. Think it all thru, and have a ready response. If you "hardwire" in your brain a ready response, when it hits the fan, your mind won't be freezing your body while you are hunting for an answer and response which isn't there.

+1 Perfect advice, has kept me out of harms way many times. And I slow down and enjoy the ride. Sure I've had close calls, haven't we all. So far this season I've had a few cars come out in front of me. I was ready for them because I saw them first. A deer or 2 has darted in my path, nothing close though. The best yet was crossing over a small bridge with a rise and some cows wandering in the road. No insident, I was in 3rd or 4th gear putting my way home. I U turned and told the farmer his cows were out before someone else hit them. It was dark but I reacted instintively, didn't even have time to think. Just brake and juke left, no problem. Cows are more stationary.
Luck doesn't hurt either. My buddy had a stretch of bad luck some years back and quit riding.
1. Had to lay the bike down under a blown down tree. It was daytime, didn't get hurt.
2.A buck jumped off a bank into him totaled his bike and he got scraped and brused. It was dark, never saw the deer.
3. A young driver didn't stop for her sign, followed by a superman across her trunk lid, and a hematoma the size of a cantalope on his thigh. It was daytime. That was it he quit. Three bikes in two summers, his family convinced him to stop riding.

I think night riding is part of life and until my mind is changed thats it. I've been down, high sided on an on ramp by the fairgrounds going at it to hot back in 1992. Seperated shoulder, bunged up ankle and cracked helmet. I've since had reconstrutive surgery on the shoulder, but I still ride. It was daytime!

Question: 32232, COOL bike! Are those reflectors a kit or did you design them yourself. Great effect!

use traffic to your advantage

While running highways a night use traffic to your advantage. Never cruise in the center of the lane as cages will likely straddle a small "gator" rather than swerve around it. Pick a line that follows their tire tracks and you will get a early warning as they swerve to avoid the hazard. Also, brake lights are a sure sign you are bearing down on something that could ruin your commute. Little things like this can help keep you up and running confidently.

Back