• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Let the Price Gouging Begin

agmom98

high mileage
Just took a look at the room rates of all the major hotel chains in Bloomsburg and even with corporate rates, Significant Organization Rate, AARP rates, and whatever other ammunition I have, the hotels have all jacked their rates up by at least 50% for the 3 day weekend of next year's rally. Very disappointing!

Just took a look at the room rates of all the major hotel chains in Bloomsburg and even with corporate rates, Significant Organization Rate, AARP rates, and whatever other ammunition I have, the hotels have all jacked their rates up by at least 50% for the 3 day weekend of next year's rally. Very disappointing!

Why are your surprised? Supply and demand! It's a law of nature!

It Is What It Is...

This happens in any community that has a major event. The rates differ with every geographic location, but, they still increase. Super Bowl, World Series, Corvette Gold, BMWMOA International Rally, Sturgis, etc...limited number of rooms, properties set a price that the market will pay. Sorry, but this is just the way free markets work.

Try getting a room in or around a college town on a game/Dads/Moms etc weekend.Not only are the rates jacked up, but you also have to book two nights.

I'm really looking forward to the rally next year as it will be our first experience rally camping. I've heard and read about the great fun had by all in the camping area and I'm looking forward to the camaraderie. It sure will make it easier to spend time in the beer tent.

You should try finding a room during the Bloomsburg Fair! 100,000 people a day for ten days!
Broaden your search for rooms say in a 25 mile radius and I think you'll to much better.
Also the rally chairs might have an alternative to camping and moteling it that almost sounds to good to be true. Since it's only an 80% sure thing I won't mention it. Stay tuned for that announcement and act fast,fast, fast, when they do!

I'm really looking forward to the rally next year as it will be our first experience rally camping. I've heard and read about the great fun had by all in the camping area and I'm looking forward to the camaraderie. It sure will make it easier to spend time in the beer tent.

That is the way to go.

That is the way to go.

Maybe it's just me but motels and RVs seem somewhat incongruent with a motorcycle rally. Now don't take that as a big put-down though because there certainly are needs that those two sorts of accommodation are perfect for. The camping on site is so much more enriching an experience. Don't forget Sherpa if lugging stuff is a concern.:thumb - Bob

Maybe it's just me but motels and RVs seem somewhat incongruent with a motorcycle rally. Now don't take that as a big put-down though because there certainly are needs that those two sorts of accommodation are perfect for. The camping on site is so much more enriching an experience. Don't forget Sherpa if lugging stuff is a concern.:thumb - Bob

Agreed.

In the past our group has rented on hotel room, especially if we have couples / women on tour with us. That way we have a room for a private shower, afternoon nap in ac comfort and a spot for anyone who gets sick, etc. Split four or more ways it becomes pretty reasonable and the ladies appreciate it.

We've gotten plenty of value out of the room while spending the night in our tents. Once the cocktail lamp comes on the keys come out and quite honestly for me I'd have much less fun at the rally if I couldn't enjoy sunset with good friends, a good brew and a comfy chair.

I'm old, cheap and ride a BMW. I also camp. At Redmond I camped next to a bunch of "Black Sheep". Fantastic experience.

I know not everyone can or wants to camp. Supply and demand is how free enterprise works.

It's not price gouging, it is economic reality.

In response to all of you, let me say that this is NOT my first MOA rally, having camped at Burlington and then hoteled it at all subesequent rallies. But this is the FIRST time I've run into the really significant gouging. 50% to 100% mark-ups.

At all previous MOA rallies where I've stayed at hotels (Hampton Inns, Sleep Inn, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express), all within 5-10 miles of the rally sites, the rates were reasonable, usually not higher than what they would have been on any other day. We even booked a hotel room in Burlington at Days Inn, just to have a room as back-up, and ended up giving it to a much older fellow club member who arrived without camping gear and without a room reservation.

You young-un's go right ahead and camp at the rally grounds. I'm too old and like my creature comforts too much. And I like to show up for my early morning volunteer shifts with First Aid each day well-rested and clean.

You should try finding a room during the Bloomsburg Fair! 100,000 people a day for ten days!
Broaden your search for rooms say in a 25 mile radius and I think you'll to much better.
Also the rally chairs might have an alternative to camping and moteling it that almost sounds to good to be true. Since it's only an 80% sure thing I won't mention it. Stay tuned for that announcement and act fast,fast, fast, when they do!

You are correct; if I'm willing to ride 25 or 30 miles each way to the rally grounds every day (and I'm not sure I want to do that) I can get a room for 1/2 the price. However, I do significant volunteer work and arrive at the rally grounds early and stay late. Not too keen on adding a 60 mile round-trip commute each day.

The "hospitality" industry as a whole is off about 20%. They are really struggling to survive. Ride thru Branson MO, there are a lot of closed motels. I hear some of them even have shady places one could pitch a tent but I could be wrong. Heck a room there this summer is 49.95 at a mid grade motel ( I think the mid grade motels luxury but I also ride a BMW), some off the strip are 39.95 or less.

Try renting a room near Sturgis last week. it will make Bloomsburg seem cheap by comparison.

People that rent out their home for the weekend can get $500 a night.

I go to BBB rally in Fayetteville, Ar every year. I am lucky I have a friend that lives there, but room rates of $200 are not at all uncommon. Same room any normal weekend 69.95. IMHO all us beemer riders should attend at least one big rally a year to see how the other 98% live. I got to give them credit, they know how to party. Many can't ride, but they sure can PARTY!

Rod

Been there and done that, Bob. Lugged my camping gear on the back of my bike from Houston to Burlington a few years back. After that experience, I'm beyond the notion that camping will enrich my experience of the rally any further, and now stay at a hotel every year. Judging from all the bikes parked at all of the hotels, I am not alone.

For me the rally experience is enrichened by volunteering and really getting inside of the workiings of the rally. I've met many, many more folks by doing so than I would just sitting around. To each their own. :wave :thumb

This happens in any community that has a major event. The rates differ with every geographic location, but, they still increase. Super Bowl, World Series, Corvette Gold, BMWMOA International Rally, Sturgis, etc...limited number of rooms, properties set a price that the market will pay. Sorry, but this is just the way free markets work.

Chuck, this has not been my experience at past MOA rallies, hence my posting about it.

Been there and done that, Bob. Lugged my camping gear on the back of my bike from Houston to Burlington a few years back. After that experience, I'm beyond the notion that camping will enrich my experience of the rally any further, and now stay at a hotel every year. Judging from all the bikes parked at all of the hotels, I am not alone.

For me the rally experience is enriched by volunteering and really getting inside of the workings of the rally. I've met many, many more folks by doing so than I would just sitting around. To each their own. :wave :thumb

That is exactly why the Rally is such a success. Thanks for all you have done in the past and for what you will do next year. :hug

For me the rally experience is enrichened by volunteering and really getting inside of the workiings of the rally. I've met many, many more folks by doing so than I would just sitting around. To each their own. :wave :thumb

"to each there own" :thumb Interesting how the face of this collective motorcycle gathering experience is changing as time goes on. We (at 62 and 60) will still camp because of our way of socializing (uh...and :buds) ways but sometimes we do hanker for that shower, airconditioning and cozy chair. I like your enhancement of the rally experience through being involved idea. We just seem to have this thing about being close to large numbers of people, the beer tent and a dance floor :dance. - Bob

Last edited:
Back