• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Let the Price Gouging Begin

I'm old, cheap and ride a BMW. I also camp. At Redmond I camped next to a bunch of "Black Sheep". Fantastic experience.
I know not everyone can or wants to camp. Supply and demand is how free enterprise works.

It's not price gouging, it is economic reality.

ha.... we did the same in 2001 at Redmond (long distance two up award; on an overpacked 1973 75/5; Mary's very first long run ..... 12,000 miles; we had just met!) Camped with this crew that flew a flag that said "Do What You Want". And they were .....

BSpatch.jpg

What a great time and, yes, we did dance with sheep! :dance - Bob

If Bloomsburg rates are high check the hotels just south of them in the towns of Danville, Northumberland and Selinsgrove. The way to and from the rally site is on Rt 11 which is not a bad way to go.

The east side of the river has spectacular farmland, and deep state forests. It would not be an bad idea to use the Motel 6 that was recently remodeled in Miffinville. Its just off Rt 80 on the south side of the town. To get to the rally you could travel on 239 putting you on the river side of the fairgrounds or you could travel down RT 11 and enjoy the chain stores and restaurants that were stuck there not to ruin Bloomsburg proper.

Another nice stop is the Hampton Inn on Route 93 and I 81 in Hazleton. It overlooks the impressive valley and its on a former golf country club house site. Coming to the rally from there would force you to drive in this valley for about 25 miles. One of the roads would force you on RT 339 that is a top motorcycle road or you can use RT 93 to Berwick and take Rt 11 south, or Rt 93 to the I 80 then to Bloomsburg.

I am not sure what to say about the gouging except free market capitalism is the best path to prosperity. Be grateful that we are not having this rally about an hour north where hotels are booked for the next two years by the natural gas industry. This capitalism has made unhappy Elk, Deer, and small game hunters and fly fisherman.

If you wish a convenient place in the middle of nowhere and next to Ricketts Glen State Park, try Ricketts Glen Hotel Its known for its food and its destination for the motorcycle crowd on weekends. From there its a beautiful ride to Bloomsburg via Rt 118 and 487 or the historical Tioga Pike one of the first interstates in the country still running through farms and woods as it always has.

Or get a Bed & Breakfast.

A couple of alternatives to lugging camping gear across the country....1. ship your tent/sleeping bag/pad 2. go to a discount store and buy a cheap tent/bag/pad for the rally and donate to charity at the end of the week...I know one rallyer that did this in OR and spent about $80. The weather will, most likely, not require a high quality bag to stay warm. There will be a few air conditioned building at the rally site, so an afternoon respite looking at vendor booths can help provide a little relief from heat, cold, rain, etc.
Mark

ha.... we did the same in 2001 at Redmond (long distance two up award; on an overpacked 1973 75/5; Mary's very first long run ..... 12,000 miles; we had just met!) Camped with this crew that flew a flag that said "Do What You Want". And they were .....

BSpatch.jpg

What a great time and, yes, we did dance with sheep! :dance - Bob

Ah yes, dancing with sheep. :dance

I'm guilty as well.

Some of us do the HIGH THREAD COUNT RALLIES some do not - I enjoyed my rolling rally time with YB down to Johnson City. I enjoy meeting more new people on site or at our YB breakfasts or dinners - then some parking lot on the highway. Regress do ya remember the '60 & '70's - in my case the '70's I enjoyed meeting new people out in the open then in a hotel. :thumb
See ya on the fields of Bloomburg !

Just made my reservations at a B and B in Danville, which is also having a special event during that time, I'm just a little excited. Will spend another rally as a volunteer at Registration on opening day. As for the camping experience, if I suggested it to my wife, I wouldn't be able to ride the bike due to where she would pack the tent. Truth be told I also like beds!

Last edited:
We will luck out on this one. Cousins live about 4 houses down from the fairgrounds. :D:D

THANKS for the offer !!!

How many bedrooms do they have? They wouldn't have to stay in town, so that's one more bedroom. How many baths? How many bikes can park in the yard. Do they have a garage where we can do a major rebuild? :laugh:laugh:laugh

You young-un's go right ahead and camp at the rally grounds. I'm too old and like my creature comforts too much. And I like to show up for my early morning volunteer shifts with First Aid each day well-rested and clean.

In that case, THANK YOU for staying in a hotel and not spending the night at the beer tent. :thumb:thumb:thumb

I just did a 30sec Google search for 'rental house, bloomburg, pa'.
Several 3bedroom houses for $600-700 for a week...get a couple friends and voila!
$200 for a room for a week...can't beat that!

I'll be camping, but to each his own!
I'll be 47 on monday...in the MOA that makes me a 'young-un'

See you all in PA!

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but . . .
Two words and for me this is easy from past experience.
Sherpa Mayberry.

End of story.

OK, ya'all can whup up on me now.
Or you can slap me at Bloomsburg. ;)

Last edited:
There is quite abit of gas well drilling going on in that area because of the Marsellus Shell deposits and the drilling crews are taking up quite a few rooms. We found that out last summer during a Route 6 trip across the top of Pennsylvania.

Motel / Hotel for me!

Maybe it's just me but motels and RVs seem somewhat incongruent with a motorcycle rally. Now don't take that as a big put-down though because there certainly are needs that those two sorts of accommodation are perfect for. The camping on site is so much more enriching an experience. Don't forget Sherpa if lugging stuff is a concern.:thumb - Bob

I think it just a matter of choice and of course for some budget. Again for ME .... I prefer a motel with a hot shower ( I do not have to walk across a field to get to) a warm bed and AC! In addition I find there is as much fun (for ME) and "experience" at most Rally's just kicking tires and having a beer in the parking lot. I have spoken to dozens of bike owners from all over the country and world, seen some very cool bikes, gotten tips on some farkles, and helped a few make repairs ... all in the hotel parking lot. Have been a BMW owner since 2000 and attended the BMW Rally in Charleston WV, Lima OH, Burlington VT, West Bend WI, and Johnson City TN and had a blast at every one. But can tell you was happy to have the AC in Lima and Burlington. In West Bend we stayed in a tiny town of Iron Ridge at the Iron Ridge Motel. What a GREAT experience. In VT we stayed at St. Michaels College (think that was the name) ... WOW that was a great time hanging outside the dorm rooms each night having a cold beer and kicking tires and telling MC stories.

So for me a motel / hotel is actually PART of the experience. That along with volunteering at the Oil Change Station. Now that was a ton of fun! Seems yet again HOW someone experienced a motorcycle rally is very individual and personal.

Last edited:

I think it just a matter of choice and of course for some budget. Again for ME .... I prefer a motel with a hot shower ( I do not have to walk across a field to get to) a warm bed and AC! In addition I find there is as much fun (for ME) and "experience" at most Rally's just kicking tires and having a beer in the parking lot. I have spoken to dozens of bike owners from all over the country and world, seen some very cool bikes, gotten tips on some farkles, and helped a few make repairs ... all in the hotel parking lot. Have been a BMW owner since 2000 and attended the BMW Rally in Charleston WV, Lima OH, Burlington VT, West Bend WI, and Johnson City TN and had a blast at every one. But can tell you was happy to have the AC in Lima and Burlington. In West Bend we stayed in a tiny town of Iron Ridge at the Iron Ridge Motel. What a GREAT experience. In VT we stayed at St. Michaels College (think that was the name) ... WOW that was a great time hanging outside the dorm rooms each night having a cold beer and kicking tires and telling MC stories.

So for me a motel / hotel is actually PART of the experience. That along with volunteering at the Oil Change Station. Now that was a ton of fun! Seems yet again HOW someone experienced a motorcycle rally is very individual and personal.

Well said.

Motel/Hotel At Rally

Ed,

I agree with your comments regarding the opportunities to meet with folks outside the Rally site. I have only attended the Lima, Burlington and Johnson City Rallies and have stayed in motels at each one. The parking lot, lobby and hotel restaurant are excellent meeting venues with fellow BMW riders.

If you stay in a hotel/motel, you also get the opportunity to communicate with the local populace. We had an interesting experience in Johnson City. Myself and five of my riding buddies from North Carolina were seated for dinner at a Johnson City steakhouse. All of us were wearing riding gear and four of us had various t-shirts that depicted BMW motorcycles. I was wearing the BMWMOA club shirt with the club logos on the front and sleeve and across the back, it says, "The legendary motorcycles of Germany."

One of my friends asked the waitress, if they had served many of the BMW Rally attendees. Her reply was, "No, I hear there are a lot of them, but we haven't seen any of THEM in here!" I guess she was looking for the stereotypical black leather vests, beards/pony tails and tatoos that many people usually associate with motorcyclists (not that there is anything wrong with any of those, if you are so disposed).

The waitress was shocked when my friend said to her, "Well, you are serving six of the BMW Rally attendees right here at this table." This opened up an opportunity to tell her about the joys of riding a motorcycle.

We left her a really good tip, so perhaps her impression of motorcyclists was altered.

Bill

Back