• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spidering and motorcycle parking

R

rocketman

A question came up on my local groups forum about spiders and motorcycle parking, specifically in motorcycle parking areas with lines spaced for normal single width machines. It seems a new rider has started parking in the area but due do the width of the machine its taking up two spaces. Since the area is limited to only six spaces when he/she parks there the last motorcycle to arrive can not find an open space.
I understand that in cases where there is a reduced charge for motorcycles based on size of such machines being smaller and therefore allowing more machines per given area or for metered motorcycle parking where the regulations require that ANY vehicle only use space is not the same thing as this situation since this is not a matter of reduced cost but rather a case that the motorcycle parking is in a more convenient location, i.e. closer to the entrance of the building and it also happens that permits for motorcycles are easier to get than other vehicles.
So the question is, should a spider park in motorcycle parking where there are specifically allocated single width lines? What would You do?

RM

It appears that the Spyder rider is doing what most people do. You state it is more convenient. You state that it is easier to get a MC permit (sound like a college campus to me). Given those two benefits getting and using a MC permit, and parking in the more convenient MC spaces is rational.

Now, is it selfish? Maybe, maybe not. Eyes of the beholder!

Is it wrong? The Spyder, being a three wheeled vehicle that is not a farm implement, is by definition a motorcycle. So he is entitled to park there.

What would the difference be between say, a Spyder, and a real cool WWII vintage R75 with a period sidecar, all painted that WWII tan/green that needed two spaces?

My take is that there are too few MC spaces allocated.

I ride with a couple of people that have trikes. what we do is either we (2 wheels) will pull in and then the trike parks behind us or just the other way around.

Now if I do not know them that is yet another story.

It appears that the Spyder rider is doing what most people do. You state it is more convenient. You state that it is easier to get a MC permit (sound like a college campus to me). Given those two benefits getting and using a MC permit, and parking in the more convenient MC spaces is rational.

Now, is it selfish? Maybe, maybe not. Eyes of the beholder!

Is it wrong? The Spyder, being a three wheeled vehicle that is not a farm implement, is by definition a motorcycle. So he is entitled to park there.

What would the difference be between say, a Spyder, and a real cool WWII vintage R75 with a period sidecar, all painted that WWII tan/green that needed two spaces?

and that brings up another aspect of the question posed, although to me whether it was a really kool old side car rig or a modern one wouldn't/shouldn't make a diferance. As I stated since this is Not an issue of fees it really does seem to boil down to a "moral" issue something similar to a regular sized car using a "compact car" space even if it did fit. don't know if there is a clear-cut answer to this nor if the spaces can be increased as this was posed by another poster on our groups forum. I know what I would do if on a side car or trike or spider but I'm interested in what others, esp. spider or even side car riders think/would do, esp, if they saw that it prevented others because they were using more than one space.

RM

As I stated since this is Not an issue of fees it really does seem to boil down to a "moral" issue
RM

But we often consider "costs" in many terms other than dollars (fees). Many times we do things that cost a lot more in $$ because they are a lot more convenient. (Own a car vs ride the bus, for example; or buy fast food instead of at the farmer's market).

So the question is, should a spider park in motorcycle parking where there are specifically allocated single width lines? What would You do?
RM

That's a good question.
Maybe approach the lot 'owners' for lack of a better term and see about adding a few more spaces. Since these are relatively new to the road it may get some consideration.
As for right now? I prolly wouldn't. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should. Read that as 'courtesy'.
I'd look for an area away from high traffic and park there. If not for the fact the newness of the machine.
Who wants door dings when parking in the car section(s).

I cannot speak for Spyders riders, but with my rigs(or automobile) I use this rule...if I cannot park within the lines, I park elsewhere.
If the lines are for two-wheelers, I go elsewhere.
In front of my local Canadian Tire store, they have allocated two 'normal' parking spaces for bikes. I use this with no moral qualms even though I take the place of two bikes since I'm within the lines.
I do not get upset when I see a fancy car taking two spaces to avoid dings and I do not think a Spyder or a rig in a motorcycle parking would bother me either. Now, a car in the motorcycle parking...I lose it!!!

The folks who paint lines should be forgiven for their ignorance of "motorcycles." But since the vast majority of motorcycles are maybe 36" wide, and since we don't want car drivers parking there, I'm not complaining about the narrow spaces.

I operate under the philosophy that if I'm licensed to park, I'll try to fit it in, and if not I'll hang over. Often there is a space at the end with a bit of leftover area, and a three-wheeler can squeeze in there. This isn't just a Spyder issue. I've seen adventure-travel machines occupying more than one space, bikes parked at odd angles, etc.

I also go with the "first come first served" rule. If I get there first with my three wheeler, I'll take the available space. Of course, if there is a handy full car space nearby I might just take that instead, even at an increased cost. Just don't argue that I can't park my motorcycle in a motorcycle slot because the slot is too narrow, or because you think my motorcycle isn't a "motorcycle."

I do suggest that if there are typically too few motorcycle spaces for the demand, a few letters to the city would be in order suggesting expanding them.

pmdave

Personal opinion Dave...not trying to impose my 'rules' on anyone else.

I live in the country, so parking is not an issue. When I ride in to the city (Montr?®al), I either have my parking spot at work, or there is plenty of motorcycle parking on the streets...with no lines :)

What others do is their business, not mine.

Well since riding a Spyder and/or 3-wheeler requires a motorcycle endorsement, and in the eyes of the law is considered a motorcycle, then they should have the right to park in MC parking. Whether it is fair or not is another question. I agree with Dave on ignorance by those who paint the lines, hell at my employer the lines are technically to narrow for a large touring bike.

Well since riding a Spyder and/or 3-wheeler requires a motorcycle endorsement, and in the eyes of the law is considered a motorcycle, then they should have the right to park in MC parking.

If they ride in California can they split lanes. :scratch

What others do is their business, not mine.

Until you can't find a spot to park because someone took two spaces. :scratch

The rule of 'courtesy' seems to be a thing of the past.
We rode to Winthrop, WA a touristy type town out here and the five of us fit our bikes into one car spot.
Parking was a premium so we obliged.

A little bit goes a long way in public perception. :thumb

Agree that there should be more m/c parking overall. We're often considered last if at all in these kinds of things.

Since a Spyder is classified as a motorcycle, but isn't really a motorcycle, it seems as if we need to work on the "official" definitions. I wonder how long ago the "definition of motorcycle" was written in most state codes.

To me, a sidecar (and a Spyder) should park in a car space because it's far larger than a normal motorcycle - and when I (someday) finish my sidecar rig, I'll walk that walk.

Whether it is fair or not is another question.
I think this is the real crux of the discussion. Taking up 2 spaces when you park - no matter what your vehicle is - is simply inconsiderate of everybody else that parks there. You're coming right out and saying that YOUR VEHICLE is more important than EVERYBODY ELSE'S and should therefore be afforded TWO SPACES. It's complete disregard for the social niceties that grease our interpersonal interactions.

The rule of 'courtesy' seems to be a thing of the past.
Precisely!!

--chiba

Agree that there should be more m/c parking overall. We're often considered last if at all in these kinds of things.

Since a Spyder is classified as a motorcycle, but isn't really a motorcycle, it seems as if we need to work on the "official" definitions. I wonder how long ago the "definition of motorcycle" was written in most state codes.

--chiba

I believe the Spyder is not only classified as a motorcycle, but is, indeed a motorcycle. "Motorcycle" is defined by state law, not by popular opinion of the moment. Most states adopted a similar definition of "motorcycle" based on suggestions by the NHTSA back in the days of Joannie Claybrook. That solved a very important issue of making motorcycle laws similar from state to state.

Of course, you are perfectly welcome to believe anything you want about definitions, laws, or whatever. But we have a system of laws to make order out of chaos. For instance, you may believe that bikes are excused from speed laws, and if we look at the situation on our public roads that might appear to hold some water. But speed laws are whatever the state decides, as the next LEO who stops you can explain.

There may be a need to rewrite vehicle definitions, but it would certainly be important for most of the separate states to have the same definition as surrounding states. So, the impetus to change the definitions should be directed through the feds.

My R100t was sold as a motorcycle, and is registered and licensed as a motorcycle. If I attach my sidecar, it's still a motorcycle, and I wouldn't want to have to change the registration every time I installed or removed the sidecar, so I'm in favor of the current definitions.

In terms of parking, I don't see much difference between arriving at a "motorcycle" parking area to find a three-wheeled motorcycle has taken up the last spaces--or arriving at a motorcycle parking area to find that all the spaces are filled with two-wheeled motorcycles. You snooze, you lose. And whatever motorcycle you are riding, you always have the option of parking in a car space. I see no logic in requiring that one motorcyclist have to park elsewhere to save space for a rider who has yet to show up.

pmdave

...And whatever motorcycle you are riding, you always have the option of parking in a car space. I see no logic in requiring that one motorcyclist have to park elsewhere to save space for a rider who has yet to show up.pmdave

+1 :thumb

What's the difference between a Spyder rider, 2-up, taking the last 2 spaces and a couple, each on their own bikes, taking the last 2 spaces?

(a happy Spyder ryder)

+1 :thumb

What's the difference between a Spyder rider, 2-up, taking the last 2 spaces and a couple, each on their own bikes, taking the last 2 spaces?

(a happy Spyder ryder)

Same thing a person using an infant to drive in an HOV lane.
Hardly qualifies as a 2nd person as in reducing traffic which is the intent of the law.

Again... Just 'cause you can doesn't mean you should.

If it doesn't fit it doesn't belong there.
I wouldn't park my work van in a spot for a subcompact car.
As far as if its a motorcycle or not. The question of what is a motorcyclr came up a couple of motns ago in American Ride. Not as easy as it sounds

So in front of the local Wally World, around the handicapped parking area, BUT not next to either side of the handicapped lanes, there is a large area stripped off.

Now sometimes, when I get there, a couple of m/c's are parked in that area. They are not, in any way, obstructing the handicapped parking. They are also not taking up a car space. There are no m/c parking spaces.

Legal? most likely not. Wrong?

Another example, while in Redmond, I saw many m/c's parked in front of Wally World next to the building. Not in a sidewalk or walkway but closer to where the employee picnic/smoking tables were located. Legal? most likely not. Wrong?

Sometimes I see 2, 3 or 4 m/c's in one car space. Legal? (more than one vehicle in a parking space) Don't know. Wrong?

But to answer the OP''s ? If a three wheel vehicle is classified as a motorcycle and the area is marked motorcycle parking, then I see no problem.

But I'm old, and your mileage will vary.

Ride Well
Ride Often
Ride to :eat

Back