• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Changing Tires

cjcs

I've always mounted and balanced my own tires.
My K13 with the TPM system is almost due for new shoes.
Do the sensors in the wheels present to much of a problem for the DIYer?
Does anyone with experience changing tires with this system have any tips or pointers?
Or is this best left to the dealer?
Thanks

Changed tires on some F800's a few years back, no problem, really didn't pay any attention to them, I believe they are on the stem if memory serves me, like I said, really didn't give it a 2nd thought.

I've changed tires on the F800 and the Concours 14 with TPM. The sensors are at the valve stem. It is a little box inside the wheel where the valve stem is. It is maybe a couple of inches long, 3/4 inch wide, and 1/2 inch deep.

When removing the tire, the bottom bead should be lifted over the TPM and then the tire removed.

When mounting the tire, start with the first bead below the sensor, then push the tire on. For the final bead, make sure it stays above the sensor.

If you let the tire bead catch the sensor box, and you remove the tire, the bead will grab the box and tear it off. You can usually feel something is wrong and you can hear a cracking/creaking sound at first. Just keep an eye on it and if you keep the tire beads clear of the box it is no big deal.

Did mine not too long ago. Have done a ton of tires over the last 200,000 miles, but this was the first with the sensors. No Problem. Just pay attention and be careful in that vicinity.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure how big the sensors are. Apparently not that big a deal. Let the fun begin.

Back