• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gps

jbarron4

I'm looking for a GPS that has a long battery life and isn't too expensive. I'd like to mount it without wiring to the bike's electrical system--any recommendations?

I use a Garmin nuvi on my gs.Cheap so it is not waterproof.Also you can run it on battery or plug into a line -mine runs from my tank bag.Vibration has not been a problem. Ed

Used Garmin 276c, 278, 376, 478. Will run 8+ hours on a charge dependent on screen brightness.

Again not cheap, but very popular among riders for a lot of reasons. If your patient you can get then in the $300 range or less.

If you need to hear the directions, just make sure whatever you choose has an audio out (headphone) jack...

I like my Garmin 60Csx on a RAM mount. Battery lasts for over 20 hours, waterproof, buttons easy to press with gloves but the street maps are an extra cost. It does directions but no audio output.

I saw this on ADV - A Garmin Nuvi 500 for $150. The Nuvi 500 is waterproof and has a pretty good battery life.

http://dealnews.com/Garmin-nuvi-500-3.5-Waterproof-GPS-Navigator-for-150-free-shipping/383463.html

Thanks for posting the link! I've been eying this model for a few months now and this is certainly the lowest price I've seen for a new, non-refurb model. Ordered a Migsel mount as well, which should be here in 2-3 weeks.

I'm also planning on hard wiring the GPS directly to the battery using this power cable. Anyone know if I should install an inline power switch? I've read that some GPS units continue to draw power even when shut off.

...I'm also planning on hard wiring the GPS directly to the battery using this power cable. Anyone know if I should install an inline power switch? I've read that some GPS units continue to draw power even when shut off.

The battery on the GPS will continue to charge while plugged in. Thus, the bike's battery will be discharged. You may wish to disconnect the plug from the GPS (and perhaps remove the GPS from the bike!) when not riding.

An alternate cable (at a lower cost) is made by Gilsson Technologies -

http://www.amazon.com/Gilsson-Direc..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1282065920&sr=8-1

Use of a BMW plug, such as made by Powerlet, will allow use of the BMW power socket to power the GPS. When done riding just unplug the power cord and remove the GPS from its mount.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=PLUG

Last edited:
I have a nuvi 550 that is rated "Motorcycle Friendly" by Garmin, just like the Zumo models, and claims an 8 hour battery life. Garmin sells a hardwire kit that includes a RAM compatible bracket for the GPS. RAM can supply the remaining parts to mount the GPS. Be aware that the nuvi 500 and nuvi 550 are the same hardware, but come with different maps. The nuvi 500 has continental United States street maps as well as Topo maps included. The nuvi 550 has United States, Canada, and Alaska maps, but no Topo maps included. If you want Topo maps, however, you can buy an inexpensive SD card and buy all the Topo maps you want for the nuvi 550.

When I first got my nuvi 550, I assumed I could avoid the hardwire kit and rely on the long battery life until I got to the campground so I could charge it using my cigarette socket adapter. The first trip was almost 12 hours, so I had to periodically turn off the GPS to avoid running out of battery. The camp site I was traveling to was remote and difficult to find, so I was really careful to make sure I didn't run the battery down. After that trip I concluded it was not worth the worry. I got the (genuine) Garmin hardwire kit on eBay for $29.95, no sales tax, no shipping. I would recommend you hardwire the GPS.

The battery on the GPS will continue to charge while plugged in. Thus, the bike's battery will be discharged. You may wish to disconnect the plug from the GPS (and perhaps remove the GPS from the bike!) when not riding.

In regards to the original post, 8 hours battery life is pretty impressive. Carrying the car charger (with a Powerlet adapter) would probably be fine for when the battery gets low.

I like the look of a semi-permanent installation like PaulWitt's in this forum post (go almost to the bottom), but this would necessitate either unplugging the power cord from the back of the unit after each ride or using an inline power switch.

I am lurking on all GPS info & trying to avoid the $$$ of a Zumo 450/550 model. What are the disadvantages for MC use of the Nuvi 500 model? Same question for the Garmin 276,278,376,and 478?
Is there any difficulty in placing a chatterbox on my Shuberth Concept helmet-I dont have a bluetooth cell phone for now either/using the Verizon "Knack" which lacks bluetooth but has larger #'s/loud ringer for older types!
Thanks!

I am lurking on all GPS info & trying to avoid the $$$ of a Zumo 450/550 model. What are the disadvantages for MC use of the Nuvi 500 model?

That is what I was doing when I bought the nuvi 550. The nuvi 500 and nuvi 550 are rated as "Motorcycle Friendly" by Garmin, so they will function as a GPS just as well as the Zumo models when on a motorcycle. As far as I know, this is what you DO NOT get with the nuvi models:

- Glove friendly touch screen menus (I do not have a problem using the nuvi menus with my gloves)

- MP3 Player (I bought an MP3 player for $15 that works great)

- Bluetooth (I do not need to listen to the GPS audio prompts to navigate with the nuvi 550, and I do not want to talk on the phone when I am riding).

- XM Radio (This might be a good for the XM Weather feature, but I do not want to listen to XM Radio).

The bottom line is that if all you want is a good GPS that works well on a motorcycle, the nuvi 500 or nuvi 550 work very well at a major reduction in price.

We can reasonably expect that GPS devices in the future will be faster, cheaper, and have more features than what is available today. So, my approach is to buy only what I really need today so I can upgrade in a few years. If you spend $600-$800 for a GPS, you probably are not going to want to upgrade for a long time.

I am seeing a bunch of different type mounts foe bikes on ebay. Also I will trabsfer the unit to PU/car for WS/dash mtg.

I am seeing a bunch of different type mounts foe bikes on ebay. Also I will trabsfer the unit to PU/car for WS/dash mtg.

Here is a link to the RAM mount motorcycle wizard:

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx

You just select the GPS and the make and model of your motocycle and it specs out the RAM mount you need. I did this, and then I looked on eBay and found someone was selling the exact same RAM parts (same RAM numbers), for less, so I bought the RAM parts on eBay.

I bought a Nuvi 550 earlier this year. I'd purchased a K75S that was located in California and I planned to fly out there and ride it back to Ohio. The seller informed me that the K75S speedo stopped working just before I went out to get the bike.

So, I got the Nuvi 550 mainly to serve as a default speedo. Plus I hoped to avoid the superhighways (e.g., Interstates) and ride some backroads.

The Nuvi 550 was my first experience with a GPS on a bike (I've used one connected to a computer in a car before with me being the passenger using the GPS). I used the RAM mount for the NUVI. I obtained a mount from Cycle Gadgets. Subsequently I've seen the mount from RAM. In my opinion the mount from Cycle Gadgets is superior.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/ram/ram.asp?prod=RAM-NUV5P

Why? Well there is an easier to deploy snap-type top fastener that securely holds the GPS. This looks like it will last longer than the solid plastic mount sold by RAM. The RAM mount is slightly less expensive.

I decided to use a BMW plug on the power supply. When I'd stop for a meal or for the evening it was very easy to disconnect the GPS and power supply. The bulk of the cables for the power supply were kept in my tank bag. It was very easy to move / remove the tankbag to add fuel or when going in somewhere (dinner, hotel, etc.)

Happily my BMW K75S speedo started working again in Colorado (after going thru California, Nevada, and Utah). The GPS confirmed that the BMW speedo adds 5 mph to the actual speed.

Since I stayed within the US I could have gotten the Nuvi 500 rather than the 550. At the time I purchased the Nuvi 550 the lowest price that I could find was $225. I thought that the advertised price of $150 was quite good for a waterproof GPS suitable for motorcycle use.

I've come to really appreciate features on the Garmin Nuvi 550 such as having a large database with hotels, restaurants, gas stations, museums, partk, etc. conveniently placed. One can select a point-of-interest or enter an address and let the GPS provide directions. If a turn is missed the GPS quickly recomputes a new route.

In missing a few turns in my cross-country trip I was able to see some interesting countryside and still arrive at my intended destination. Some of the side trips were worth the price of the GPS!!

Back