• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does BMW Make the Ugliest Line of Motorcycles?

The only bike that's ever come near getting as many compliments from riders and non-riders alike as my '96 Ducati SS/SP in yellow with the half fairing is my '04 R11S. I sometimes find non-riders just staring at it in the parking lot sometimes. Yeah, I do like those R11RT's, but for looks, I'll take an 11S anyday. Cheers! Bill J

Attachments

• Sept28,2010 006.jpg
    Sept28,2010 006.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 275
My old Duc....wish I still had it. boo hoo...(or in Duckese, Quack Quack!)
Bill J

Attachments

• DucatiSale 001.jpg
    DucatiSale 001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 275
Now, I realize that beauty is--to an extent--subjective. But I was just looking at my R1200R and I noticed that other than the chrome on the exhaust, there is nothing done purely for aesthetics. Nothing. Everything is purposeful. It's engineering as art. That's typical BMW: they have a disregard for the looks of their bikes bordering on disdain.

The polar opposite is Harley where everything is about the look. If you read the descriptions of their bikes on their web page, it's all about what they look like. It's almost an afterthought that they can be ridden.

Keep in mind that I've only owned BMWs. And that's all that I probably ever will own. So I like the purposefulness and disregard for frivolity. But, from the top to the bottom of the line, I suspect that BMW comes in last in motorcycle beauty contests.

Hi,

Well I'm brand new to the forum so I hope I don't offend in any way. However, I find your statement more of a compliment. I've looked at many BMW's and my wife is very outspoken about the appearance bikes. When I showed her the bike I was buying she said and I parahrase, " Thank God, you picked this one. I really like it. That was good enough for me. BTW, I think Harley's look heavy and overweight compared to BMW's. On the other hand, I've never owned a Harley and likely never will.

You want pretty? You want shiny chrome? You want total strangers with really cool bikes of their own to stop in their tracks and gawk over your bike? You want waaaay more BMW designed form over function? You want all your GS friends to make fun of you because as they're suiting up to go riding, you're in the parking lot washing your bike with hotel shampoo? Then you buy an R1200C like I did. Just stock up on lots of polish, chrome cleaner and elbow grease, 'cause nothing looks worse than dirty chrome. And the spokes...ohhh man, they take forever to clean. But, I love my bike to death just the same. ( And in case you were curious...yes, I did have dirt on my bike.....once...and not for very long!)

Attachments

• EatonsNeckBeach[1].jpg
    EatonsNeckBeach[1].jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 161
Although I never thought they did I just saw the first pictures of the new K1600GTL and must now admit that it is one UGLY bike.

Sorry BMW.

I don't know, but that new bike sure looks like the offspring of an LT and a GT. (I think that was the plan, after all.)

Although I never thought they did I just saw the first pictures of the new K1600GTL and must now admit that it is one UGLY bike.

Sorry BMW.

oh, i don't know... it looks good in a normal pic. well, ok, there *is* a tinge of kawasaki escapade or escalade or whatever in it. :ha

KGT_gallery_10.jpg

i think those chrome strips on the sides of the engine are fold-out highway pegs. this think will be one helluva road sofa. i hope the tire manufacturers have upped their game a notch.

Who knows maybe it's better looking in person. Could be the pictures do not do it justice. But to someone else it might just be the best looking bike ever!

To each their own.

The first time I rode a BMW was my friends' R65. As I looked down at those cylinder sticking out, I thought...man this thing is hideous (I had a 75 Yamaha XS 650 then..one beautiful bike, IMHO).
But over time I grew to love the Boxer look and now find great joy when I see a rider coming toward my with large protuberances coming out from the side of the engine.....

I love the looks of the old airhead jugs with the old style valve covers. I think the K1600GT is the BEST looking K bike every made. That tailbox doesn't "flow".

I think most BMW bikes look great. Best looking models - R90S, R1100S, K1300S.

Complaints about GS looks are misguided. They are utilitarian - would you compare a jeep with a ferrari? Any bike designed for the same mission will have similar looks. Ducati makes some of the most beautiful bikes around, but the Multistrada is pretty ugly compared to an 1198.

In my opinion, the worst looking bikes of all time have to be from Buell. I always wanted to like Buell. American made, good performance, etc. They are just so ugly - I could never get past that.

Back