Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: So many questioins so little knowledge

tourist
    The valve check is complete. I guess it passed. Now onto putting it back together.

P8140019.JPG

Looking good!
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Stud Muffin?

another tip on the CD...put sealant on the cover gasket on the water pump side...in the valley and on the hump part of gasket

* Apply sealing compound to the gasket around the water pump drive and the half-moon (arrows).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

tourist
    Thanks Steve and Luis. I saw the rtv on the old gasket and also assumed I would need it for those locations. Going to clean all the nook and crannies and start putting it together today.

Is the arrow the shim that would need to be replaced? Or is it part of that? Not that I need to but would you remove the e-clip and just replace the piece with one of the appropriate thickness?

P8140018.JPG

tourist
    Here's the charcoal canister. I found that the pad and spring was soak in gas and cocked allowing the charcoal to bypass it and clog the tube. Kind of odd that the tube had a split near the end.
    I'll let sit in the sun to evaporate the gas and see if I can get it back together.
    Bike is almost together with no extra parts for some reason. I guess BMW has cut corners and didn't leave anything extra for me to leave off.

P8140017.JPG

tourist
    Took it out for a test ride.......I didn't put the side panels on and lost one of those foam pieces on the highway. After the third pass looking for it I spotted something that could be it or at least it wasn't a piece of tire. Got back to where I saw it and stopped. Sure enough it was the foam piece still intact. Woohoo!

as for the temp...it is running a little hotter than it did before. It normally ran with the temp gauge just above quarter scale the highest I've seen it was at half scale sitting at the border in the heat. Probably was mid to low 90's that day but when moving just above quarter scale.

Now, its just above, just above quarter scale. Still below half scale by quite a bit.

If I had to guess, looking really, really close at the gauge it may be a pixel or two warmer. Not much and I know I could be seeing things but it is still well below half scale and sitting in the heat and idling it still never got above half scale.

So is my temp ok?

Been out ridin'....

both of ours sit around 4 bars...even after a 100 degree ambient temp ride. If you bled the system and topped off the radiator after it warmed up...should be good.

Still chuckiling about the "thermal barrier" blowing off...at least you found it...
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

tourist
    I'm glad I could give you a chuckle. How about this one.

After I got done test riding I pull into the garage, set my helmet on the work bench then stepped over the bucket of coolant on the floor. One foot made it, the other didn't.

P8150015.JPG

Nice job - it was great following the action
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

and you had to use the Barbie Blanket! I ran out of those a LONG time ago

I am not sayin' a word...between the oil pan and the coolant pan...not sure which one gives me more action...never set it in a "safe" place it seems.
    Steve Henson

tourist
    Well, I had it at the deal and spent the 100 bucks for them to flush and fill the coolant system. They said it was within the acceptable temperature range to begin with. They did mention that the radiator was slightly clogged and shined a light on it. Even after power washing part of Alaska was still in there. With as many times as I have done this, I did it again. This time I took the radiator completely off and soaked in some acid to clean the fins. After scrubbing with a brush and blowing air thru the fins to knock out some more of Alaska out. I think this time I got it or atleast it aint getting any better.

Kind of hard to tell from blurry picture but the lower third still had a bunch of sand like grit wedged in the fins. The yellow is where you could see thru the fins. From a distance and at angle you couldn't tell how clogged. After taking off and holding up to the sun you could tell. For the most part it looks cleaner than before. Temp is running a little cooler and I'm not messing with it any more.
    P9120004.JPG

I was going to suggest replacing the radiator - just checked on Max's fiche and it is typical BMW pricing - $654.00

Since it is out are you planning to use a stiff bristled (plastic) brush to clean out the areas that are clogged.

Would CLR work?
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

tourist
    CLR may have worked but I think it would of taken longer. The pink acid stuff I used was for cleaning aluminum air conditioning coils. Really foams ups and eats away everything leaving the aluminum clean. It just couldn't get the sand like grit. I tried to use a pipe cleaner but it was too big to fit in between the fins. I used air pressure blowing from the opposite direction.

I didn't think I needed a new one because really the temp was always in the acceptable range just a little higher then when I bought the bike. Never above half scale and the over temp light never came on. Just me being anal about temp range.

At least now I have the confidence that I was refill the coolant correctly.