• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

All-Purpose Boots

Thanks to all for the good advice and suggestions! This forum provides a great service to all of us and I'm happy to benefit from your individual experiences, once again!

I'll order a few pair and give them a try. I'm thinking the Chippewa Rallys, the Jupiters, and Red Wings could fit my requirements. I'll order a pair of each and see which I like best. Zappos.com offers free shipping, both ways, so it's hard to lose on a deal like that!!

Thanks again!

piperjim

5.11 boots

Try these, I use "motorcycle boots" or sometimes these, protection riding and you can walk around in them

Attachments

• a12003thumb.jpg
    a12003thumb.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 654
Take a look at Dr. (Doc) Marten boots. They have a lot of choices, laced and slip-on, and they're one of the most comfortable boots on the planet for walking around with when you're off your bike.

I second the motion for Doc Martens......and their thicker sole helps out with those who are vertically challenged

I own those (and even got them from Sierra Trading Post) but I'd think they'd be horrible for motorcycling. It would be very, very difficult to get your toe under the shifter on many bikes.

Russell Imperial Riders (Lace Ups)

These aint cheap ($450.00) but they look good and certainly meet the all around requirement. They're custom made and can be had with a shift pad over the toe is one desires.

I thought about these and may buy a pair yet. My present boots are Sidi On Roads which are the best I've had so far.

I had this same issue last year when looking for bike boots. Out of frustration, I finally went with a tall set of Doc Martens. I like them in terms of cost, appearance, perceived abrasion resistance, and excellent comfort on and off of the bike, but...

I had a (dumb) minor tip-over this summer in which my left foot was partially caught under the bike (not lace related). My foot was hyper extended resulting in a foot & ankle sprain:violin Not the end of the world, but this occurred at parking lot speed (less than 5 mph). Interestingly, the boot nearly ground thru in one spot in a very short distance (the leather is thin, which makes them light and flexible). My thinking is that they are better than sneakers- but probably not as good as a set of good quality work boots with stiffer soles and thicker leather for on-bike protection.

I own those (and even got them from Sierra Trading Post) but I'd think they'd be horrible for motorcycling. It would be very, very difficult to get your toe under the shifter on many bikes.

No problem here. But you could change the lacing pattern over the ankle to allow more more flexibility.

Does anyone know if these are any good?

I usually have had very good success w/Alpinestars products but the price is so low - makes me wonder if they're worth a toot.

LINK

Thanks,

Brad

Still Searching

I've been in the same boat on boots, what would work for both motorcycling and my work place?

My work environment is around transportation and I require an oil resistant shoe. I have a current pair of Red Wings I have been wearing since 2002, my fourth overall pair since 1986, so they last a long time. I did resole the current pair two years ago, couldn't give up the "broke-in" feeling of the well worn boots.

These Red Wing boots are great for riding, insofar as protecting the ankle, giving a good grip on the road to stop/stand and I can wear them for 16 hours/day. This is great for only having to have one pair of work-shoes/boots. However, they are lace-up, which doesn't bother me too much on a shaft-drive, but our other bikes have a chain or belt, and I'm not comfortable with that.

I haven't quite found a pair of Red Wings that would be either a partial zip-up or other options, other than pure "Cowboy" boot, which I'm not thrilled with, nor do I care for the "Harley-Buckle" style either.

Anyway, thanks for the topic info from everyone, interesting ideas to look at.

Scotchale
04 RT
98 650
05 CS
10 650 Twin

Back