• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

All-Purpose Boots

piperjim

I'm just too cheap to buy a pair of motorcycle-only boots, and wouldn't be caught dead wearing a pair of the leather/plastic/vinyl blinged-up high-dollar motorcycle-only boots that are popular.

So, what are your recommendations for some solid, all-purpose boots.....boots that give comfort and protection in the workshop, then can be brushed off and then carry you to the rally....while providing safety and protection on your motorcycle. Boots that can ride down the road, and then take you up a hiking trail in comfort.

Thanks
piperjim

How cheap are we talking? Because for $200-250, you can buy a pair of Alpinestars or TCX Goretex boots in basic black that are comfortable to walk in. The only things that show these boots to be motorcycle specific are the shifter patches and little retro-reflective spots above the heels. These are boots with toe, ankle and shin guards.

http://www.alpinestars.com/Web_Goretex_Boot/pd/c/113/np/113/p/233507.html

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/12279/ITEM/TCX-X-Five-Gore-Tex-Touring-Boots.aspx

I also found this TourMaster boot for $116:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...Solution-Waterproof-Road-Boots.aspx?sst=RR|96

Google around, maybe you can afford some purpose built boots that you can live with.

I know everyone is different, but I find Goretex boots hot and uncomfortable. I'd rather wear real leather and just put on boot covers if I have to ride in the rain.

As far as ultimate protection, going with a motorcycle-specific boot is the way to go, since they are generally designed for the types of impacts associated with a MC crash.

However, if you want a general purpose boot, check out something along the lines of a police/fire duty boot. I wear these while riding, simply because I get a free pair from work every year and turn last year's pair into my riding boots. They are completely waterproof but still breathe fairly well. Every once in a while I have to polish the top of the left boot where the shifter wears away the leather, but I have yet to tear through it yet, so I would think that you could get several years of riding out of a pair. Or, have a cobbler add a piece of leather on the left to act as a shift pad like "real" motorcycle boots have.

BMW AllRound

I just got some BMW AllRounds last night for $211. They don't seem to be quite as nice as my old BMW Contours, but for around $200, the AllRounds seem like a pretty good deal.

FYI, the Contour has been replaced by the Pro Tour and cost about $100 more.

My thought is that if you wear any other type of boot for riding it will be a sacrifice of impact protection. many of the "leather/plastic/vinyl blinged-up high-dollar motorcycle-only boots" offer impact, crush, abrasion etc protection and yes are probably not good for walking very far. I have some and I bring a second pair of shoes along.
It sure would be nice to find something that fits both worlds yet doesnt sacrifice protection!

I bought a pair of Milepost Sport Touring Boots made by Fly Racing last year from Donelson Cycles. They have an ad in Rider Magazine every month and usually have a pair of boots on sale. I paid $89, but I think the normal price is less than $150, so they are not expensive boots. They are all leather, look like most touring boots you see. The important thing is that they have ankle protection.

I rode with heavy (Doc Martin) shoes until I twisted my ankle getting off my bike in a rain storm on a muddy road. If I had been wearing real motorcycle boots, I am certain that would have been non-event, so I am a believer in wearing the right gear.

These boots are supposed to be waterproof, and they are unless you are riding at highway speed through a downpour. I picked up some water once in such a downpour. But they are comfortable to walk around in all day at a Rally. I have been thinking about buying some $15 overboots to deal with the water issue. I would really prefer to just have boots that are super waterproof, but I am not willing to pay the $200-$300 that it will probably take to get there.

Almost any slip on type of boot will come off of your foot in even a low speed crash. I would advise a lace up type of boot. The Aerostich Combat lite is an excellent choice as would be the Corocan Garrison boot. Just google Corocan boots... made in the USA You could also take a look at the reviews of all kinds of boots at webbikeworld.com

I've found that shoe or boot laces and motorcycles don't go well together. Or am I the only one who's dropped a bike because a lace got caught on a foot peg as I went to put my foot down. :dunno

I seem to be able to drop my bike equally well with or without laces. :banghead

I have heard that about laces with a chain drive bike. I guess shaft drive is a different story. I didn't think about laces catching on your peg.

As far as a boot pulling off, mine have a zipper that goes all the way down to the sole of the boot. When unzipped, it is a snug fit to get the boots on or off, after they are zipped and the velcro is attached at the top of the boot, I would be surprised if the boot could come off in a collision. Now, a boot that just slips on would be a different story. I am very fortunate to be totally inexperienced in this area. In any case it looks like the majority of the touring boots use the same fastening system (zipper and velcro), so I would assume someone can tell us if they stay on in a pinch.

I've found that shoe or boot laces and motorcycles don't go well together. Or am I the only one who's dropped a bike because a lace got caught on a foot peg as I went to put my foot down. :dunno

Learn to double knot your laces and you'll never have this problem again (unless you're one of those REALLY unlucky people that also gets struck by lightning on a regular basis). :D

Take a look at Dr. (Doc) Marten boots. They have a lot of choices, laced and slip-on, and they're one of the most comfortable boots on the planet for walking around with when you're off your bike.

Comfortable Boots

I bought a pair of very high dollar BMW touring boots to go with my R1150RT. They look good, probably offer excellent crash protection, and are great when I get caught in the rain. Unfortunately, boots like this really suck for walking. I mean they would be great if all you want to do is walk from your bike to the beer garden and back but not if you want to stay on your feet for a few hours. My feet and my back pay the price.
I know this is not politically correct but I like my Timberland Hiking boots for riding. I am certain they do not give me adequate protection in the event of a crash but I like to ride my bike to trailheads and then go hiking. With these boots I can get off the bike and then hit the trails without a lot of fuss. They are great for just walking around and they are also waterproof. I always buy a new pair of insoles when I get a new pair of boots. The insoles that come with the boots are generally not that good. The price for the boots and the new insoles will run about $125.

All Purpose Boots

I'm just too cheap to buy a pair of motorcycle-only boots, and wouldn't be caught dead wearing a pair of the leather/plastic/vinyl blinged-up high-dollar motorcycle-only boots that are popular.

So, what are your recommendations for some solid, all-purpose boots.....boots that give comfort and protection in the workshop, then can be brushed off and then carry you to the rally....while providing safety and protection on your motorcycle. Boots that can ride down the road, and then take you up a hiking trail in comfort.

Thanks
piperjim

This is from the original post. The requirements are:

1. Inexpensive
2. Provide protection
3. Comfortable

Here is what I ride with that may fit the requirements:

http://www.amazon.com/TCX-Jupiter-XCR-Boots-Black/dp/B000IMFMQW

I'm not certain that the original poster will find them acceptable as "Inexpensive," but they do measure up to the other requirements.

As other posters have suggested, "ride with your motorcycle boots and then change into another pair of shoes for walking." I take a pair of running shoes with me on trips, so I can have some comfortable shoes for walking around the motel room/lobby and for walking acroos the street to a restaurant.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of very high dollar BMW touring boots to go with my R1150RT. They look good, probably offer excellent crash protection, and are great when I get caught in the rain. Unfortunately, boots like this really suck for walking. I mean they would be great if all you want to do is walk from your bike to the beer garden and back but not if you want to stay on your feet for a few hours.

I found the opposite, but everyones feet are different. The old BMW Contours (?) I bought 5 plus years ago, from day 1, were the most comfortable boots I ever worn in 40 years. The day I got them I walked and stood around for the better part of 8 hours with no issues. They only got more comfortable with age, but I eventually wore the soles off of them.

Why did I get them originally? It was a live and learn experience, and I bought them too late. I waited until AFTER an accident (and a few months in a cast) to get "right" gear. I'm sure the damage to my ankle (from a car bumper) would have had minimal if I had MOTORCYCLE boots on. Don't find out like I did. Get the right tool for the job!

Learn to double knot your laces and you'll never have this problem again (unless you're one of those REALLY unlucky people that also gets struck by lightning on a regular basis). :D

I don't get struck by lightning, but I do double knot lace shoes. There's still a loop on the lace. The loop can still get hung up on foot pegs. BTDT. Another down side of of lace boot have to do with boots that have eyelet hooks and riders too lazy to lift their foot all the way up to clear the saddle. I believe I had 20 miles on my brand new '99 K12LT when I put a small rip in the saddle with one of the boot eyelet hooks. :banghead

The last 8 years or so I've used motorcycle boots -- Daytona Roadstar GTX -- which are also great for walking. They are not, however, cheap.

The loop can still get hung up on foot pegs. BTDT.

I suppose if you're careless or unlucky enough anything can happen, but in 40+ years of riding, I have not BTDT.

BTW, when double-knotted, the loops of the boot laces on my Doc Martens are no more than an 1" in length and are well under my pant legs. The chance of them hanging up on anything is nil.

I found the opposite, but everyones feet are different. The old BMW Contours (?) I bought 5 plus years ago, from day 1, were the most comfortable boots I ever worn in 40 years. The day I got them I walked and stood around for the better part of 8 hours with no issues. They only got more comfortable with age, but I eventually wore the soles off of them.
That was my experience with the Contours, too. My only issue with them was slight lack of retention around the ankles. They could have used a strap of some kind (preferably a buckle rather than velcro) to snug up the fit. The current BMW touring boots that replaced the Contours have a velcro strap that does just that:

b_protouring_schwarz.jpg

But, in my never-ending quest for the perfect boot, I ordered a pair of Combat Lites, which has a buckle around the ankle for better retention and fit, plus the fact that I can finally resole a pair of motorcycle boots. Plus, they don't have Gore-tex, which I no longer trust. Everything I've read says that an annual treatment of leather treatment and Sno-Seal keeps the water out. And, they look plain enough to wear with jeans and not look like a Ninja/Power Ranger. If they fit well I think they'll meet my expectations.

404_5c.jpg

Back