• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin mapping question

beemermyke

Took a trip last month, and I had used Google maps to make a custom route from my parent's home in Virginia to my sister's house in South Carolina. I created a route so I could travel on the Blue Ridge Parkway the majority of the way. After creating this route, I sent it to my Garmin Zumo 550. Problem is, I didn't know if it routed properly until I attempted to navigate that route a week later when I left my folk's house. Rather than direct me on my "modified" Google route, it reverted back to what Google originally showed (shortest route, mostly interstate). So... how do you make it work where it will accept your custom routes? Can anyone suggest another map program that works a little better with these Garmin devices? It was so easy to create and store it. Shame it didn't work right.

After creating the route open it in MapSource and recalculate. Then carefully review it for changes. It's the only way it has even a chance of being correct once it's sent to the Zumo.

What I usually do is after saving the Google file, open in MapSource, duplicate the route and then recalculate. That way it's easy to compare against the orginal route.

I have used both Google maps and MapQuest for generating GPX files for the Garmin. I much prefer MapQuest as the modified files faithfully get xfered. Experiment with MapQuest, but make sure you chose to save the GPX file as a route and not as waypoints.

I have also found that the travel times as calculated by MapQuest and my Garmin seem to be very close.

YMMV,

I spent lots of time with Garmin trying to get mapquest routes loaded into my 2730. Eventually I gave up and just used Mapsource.

It seemed like garmin was just stalling,

Try this... ok I did still doesn't work. two days later try this... ok i did and it still doesn't work.... What version of maps do you have... two days later...try reloading the patch that you loaded 4 weeks ago...

Please post if you get positive results.

{snip}...Please post if you get positive results.

I get positive results.

You may have tried all this but here goes anyway...

Environment:

I use the latest version of Firefox on a WinXP partition. I have installed the latest version of the Garmin Communicator plug-in. My GPS is a Garmin Nuvi 550 with a 1gb MicroSD card. It is connected via USB cable to my MacBook Pro. The 550 (Garmin Nuvi F) and the MicroSD card (Removable Disk G) automatically mount as separate storage devices on my "My Computer" information. I can browse the files on both devices from windows:

MyComputer.jpg

Using MapQuest:

I create/edit the route to my heart's content usiing MapQuest. When I am done and want the route xferred to the Garmin, I first save the map/route to MapQuest's "My Places" > "My Maps". I then choose "Send" from the menu at the top left and then choose "Send to GPS". If you have successfully connected your GPS to the computer, you should then see a window like this:

SendtoGPS.jpg

Note that both the storage devices in the Nuvi 550 (internal memory and the MicroSD card) appear a choices for a destination to which I save the *.GPX file. Also note that you have the choice of saving the "locations" as a "Route" or as "Waypoints". You should always save your route as a "Route". Of course, I always choose a different name for the GPX file that is more descriptive/specific.

Now, here's where I may be doing something a bit different. I ALWAYS save the GPX file to my MicroSD card and not the Unit's internal storage. I figure that my personal routes will be easier to transfer to another device that way.

Now, even though I've downloaded the raw GPX file to the Garmin, it must be "imported" into the Garmin software before use. On my Nuvi 550, I do that by choosing Tools>My Data>Import Route From File. The Garmin will search its internal and MicroSD storage for all *.GPX files and present them in a selectable scrolling list. Check the *.GPX file you just downloaded from MapQuest and click "Import". Leave the "My Data" area and go into the Tools>Custom Routes menu. You will see the imported file you just created. Choose it and review the route.

In which step do you have trouble?

Last edited:
Regarding all this: I may be a nube (rather, am definitely one), and slightly technophobic, but what's wrong with an old fashioned map, for gosh sakes? I am a big fan of google maps and use it regularly to decide how I might want to go, which isn't always how I do go due to many reasons.("That way looks fun!"). But I just write down my route on a piece of paper, stick it in my map holder on my tank bag and I'm all set. What's the deal? Am I missing something? It seems like we are becoming too techno-dependent. Maybe it's just me. Probably.

Regarding all this: I may be a nube (rather, am definitely one), and slightly technophobic, but what's wrong with an old fashioned map, for gosh sakes? I am a big fan of google maps and use it regularly to decide how I might want to go, which isn't always how I do go due to many reasons.("That way looks fun!"). But I just write down my route on a piece of paper, stick it in my map holder on my tank bag and I'm all set. What's the deal? Am I missing something? It seems like we are becoming too techno-dependent. Maybe it's just me. Probably.

There is a little irony that you will use "electronic " Google maps and reject GPS.
I guess we all used paper maps once, and they do work, and we learnt the little tricks and cheat sheets.
But there is no denying the convenience, when entering a large, strange city, at night, in the rain, and a little voice in the helmet says " in .6 miles take the exit to the right and turn left on Green Street"

{snip}...But there is no denying the convenience, when entering a large, strange city, at night, in the rain, and a little voice in the helmet says " in .6 miles take the exit to the right and turn left on Green Street"

Nor is there a downside to finding out where the nearest gas station/hospital/restaurant is and the quickest routing to it...even where cell phone signals can't penetrate!

Just my tuppence...

I Use Mapquest, Google, Garmin's Mapsource and paper maps when planning but absolutly love the GPS for trips (I still bring the paper maps too). I don't consider myself a techno guy either but for some things I like to plan out down to the minorest details. For example resently I was on a trip riding in TN, KY, WV and VA. I had planned out a route from Somerset KY northwest to Ownesboro then east to Bardstown. The route was very complex because of the small roads we were on and the speed and agressiveness of our pace. It would be almost imposible to read a map or even writen directions at our pace on these roads.

Picture this... You plan your trip, you have a general over all understanding of where you want to go and see and how to get there. Now you are traveling (our standing rule is no slab riding unless there is a saftey concern) on the back roads. In front of you is a screen constantly updating which shows where you are, were you are going and what is around you. Now you can see what is beyond that hill or around that corner (almost). All the while a voice in your ear is saying turn left in .2 miles.... turn left on fun street in 500 feet.... turn left on fun street in 200 feet...

To me a GPS is Google, Mapquest and some of the internet right on your handlebars! If you had a chance to play with one for a few days you might feel different.

I get positive results.

You may have tried all this but here goes anyway...

Now, here's where I may be doing something a bit different. I ALWAYS save the GPX file to my MicroSD card and not the Unit's internal storage. I figure that my personal routes will be easier to transfer to another device that way.

Now, even though I've downloaded the raw GPX file to the Garmin, it must be "imported" into the Garmin software before use. On my Nuvi 550, I do that by choosing Tools>My Data>Import Route From File. The Garmin will search its internal and MicroSD storage for all *.GPX files and present them in a selectable scrolling list. Check the *.GPX file you just downloaded from MapQuest and click "Import". Leave the "My Data" area and go into the Tools>Custom Routes menu. You will see the imported file you just created. Choose it and review the route.

In which step do you have trouble?

Wow, thanks for this time spent on that explanation! This is as good as the stuff in the HexHead DYI section.

I am importing them exactly as you have said accept the 2730 doesn't have an SD card. Maybe that is were the issue is???

When I go to review the map all that I get is point A and B and a straight line. I have figured out Mapsource well enough for now. I'll pick up here I left off with Garmin soon.

Personally I think the transfer from Mapquest to the GPS doesn't work because I have a 2008 map. I bet if I had a newer version it would work properly.

{snip}Personally I think the transfer from Mapquest to the GPS doesn't work because I have a 2008 map...{snip}

I'm certainly NOT a GPX format expert, but...

I'm not sure that the age of your basemap is the problem, as long as none of your waypoints are on roads that were built AFTER 2008. A GPX file is basically a set of waypoints that are interpreted (processed) by client (Garmin) software. In this case, the Garmin software that imports the waypoints also has to interpolate the path between the waypoints and "fix" the path on the roads that exist on the Garmin basemap data. As long as the roads you expect the unit to route you on have not changed since 2008, things should work.

It sounds as though the interface between the Garmin "importer" and the basemap is not working. I don't think Garmin changed their basemap format between 2008 and now, though additional data for new roads and POIs certainly have been updated. So, it seems to me to be an "interpolation engine" issue.

On a whim, I took a GPX file I had laying around and and loaded into GPS Visualizer. I specified the Google Map output format. Obviously, the Google Map was the most recent (2010) data, so I did this to test the theory that a newer map would replicate what I see in my Garmin:

GPX.png

No dice. While the most recent mapping data is there, the "interpolation engine" is not. And, it appears that the output is similar to what you describe.

Now, that is certainly far from a scientific analysis of the situation, but my hunch (and it is only that) is that 2730 software (not the map) is causing your difficulty. I'm sure you've updated it to the latest Garmin version so perhaps this GPX file problem happens on ALL 2730s?

Perhaps someone on these boards IS a REAL Garmin GPS/GPX expert and can shed some light on this?

Yeah, it could be the software and not the map.

I did all of my maps and then sent them to my GPS. About 4 days prior to departure a little bird stopped by and said "do you know for sure that your route will work?"

We'll no I don't! So I went home and made a route around the neighbor hood. These roads have been here since before color TV so I know they are in there. Only a straight line. I even tried a route from I75 in Michigan to I75 in TN. Straight line....:banghead

When I get the motivation I am going to reengage Garmin and see this to the end. Hopefully that will hapen before GPS's are obsolete. I can accept it if it won't work but the Garmin guy says it should so....

To me a GPS is Google, Mapquest and some of the internet right on your handlebars! If you had a chance to play with one for a few days you might feel different.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I needed that. I guess I just need to see about the ear plug and see how it goes. I have a Garmin nuvi and have used it in my car. and have used it on my bike also but more to just see where I am rather than routing. I don't have much experience with that I'll play around with it and see how it goes.

I often come to this exact point that you are making. I find that the GPS can provide some specifics but when I really want to understand the 'big picture' I go back to the paper maps. When I plan I use the paper maps. When I explain the whole dang plan to Mary (my version), I use the paper map. To be GPS dependent is pure folly. Sometimes quite amusing though. I have come to call it NannyTech. GPS is a great tool... only. Be sure, it will lead you astray though. Paper maps and a good 'gut sense' must also be part of the equation. - Bob

There is a little irony that you will use "electronic " Google maps and reject GPS.
I guess we all used paper maps once, and they do work, and we learnt the little tricks and cheat sheets.
But there is no denying the convenience, when entering a large, strange city, at night, in the rain, and a little voice in the helmet says " in .6 miles take the exit to the right and turn left on Green Street"

Hey, don't listen to this guy! :nono After the RA rally he lead me/us on a"wild goose chase" through VT,NY & PA for hours of scenic , twisty roads using no map.It was a hoot of a ride!:clap I too like to "see" a route on paper so I have a real feel for where I'm going in my mind, the big picture if you will. In using Statdawgs(been there / rode that in PA!) waypoints loaded into the fearless leaders GPS, it allowed concentration on the enjoyment of the ride instead of the labor of reading a map.
In Mexico, I write out a large print(no glasses needed) topical list of each road # & town in prgression for my tank bag top and have my paper map folded to the right page & my Guia Rojo in the tank bag for back up too-still requires cab drivers , taxi drivers & pizza boys to get you there. GPS works poorly for MX. Here it is neat and I've quickly become a believer. I will always travel with a paper map but look forward to riding using GPS. I have taught a class using GPS(simple handheld jobs) to layout forestry plots yet never owned one, so go figure.Next step to get one cheaply...
See my questions , re, GPS choices in another GPS thread/posting.

While I am a GPS user when I have a time limit or and appointment at the end of a journey, there are plenty of times I just look on a map and go!

One of the things I love to do is get a regional street map with contour lines on it. These are much more compact that using USGS topos and are published in bound, softcover from by DeLorme. "Atlas and Gazetteers" are available for each state and can be found HERE.

Carol and I look at the rough direction in which we want to head, then look for the route that winds the most and crosses the most contour lines. Using this approach, we have never been disappointed! In fact, we much prefer this way of route planning than any other.

On the down side, the Gazetteer is a fairly large size book (15" x 11") and doesn't easily pack without a top or side-cases. However, I have one of those All-In-One printers that can make color copies and allows me to scale-down image sizes. When I don't have the top case on (riding solo) I copy/scale the route and carry the copies instead of the book.

But, I suppose a person who had topo maps loaded on their GPS could do the same thing...

Thanks Theo for Garmin Tips

Theo,

Thanks for the very explicit directions and screen shots for how to create a custom map using Mapquest and download to a Garmin GPS. I have a Nuvi 755T that I bought about a year ago for my car. Just bought a mount to put it on my RT. Taking a ride to June Lake in about 10 days, and I wanted to create a custom route and test the Garmin. I followed your advice and loaded the map to a 4G MicroSD card in the Garmin and then loaded it into the Garmin. No problems. We'll see how it works out in about 10 days.

Johnny R

P.S. I also bought a tank bag (Givi T401NG Voyager) so I can take a paper map along as well. After reading the entries in this thread, I'm glad I did. Always good to have a back-up plan.

{snip}...Thanks for the very explicit directions and screen shots...
You're certainly welcome! Let us know how they work out for you.

Also, just a hint. My Nuvi 550 does not offer to auto-reverse the directions for the return trip...bummer! So I have been doing that in MapQuest by clicking the little reverse directions thingy and downloading that GPX file as well in case I need it.

reverse_thingy.png

I'm usually pretty confident in reversing a route myself and carry paper maps, but this is just a bit of insurance for those "senior" moments...:dunno

GPS mapping question

Guys/Gals,

I recently purchased my first GPS -- a Garmin 1390T. I'm planning a trip with my bro around New England back roads. 'Want to take specific blue roads.

A fellow biker told me the other day that the only way to do that is to purchase Garmin's Mapsource, download the softwre to my laptop, then create the desired route using Mapsource's "force route' feature and transfer that route to my GPS.

Seems reasonable to me (if a bit labor intensive). However, prior to purchasing the Mapsource software I want to confirm that it'll, indeed, do what I want it to do.

Trouble is, Garmin support has a wait time of approx 23.9 hours. (Don't they realize that lack of support personnel generates awful publicity for the company?) .... and their website info on the product doesn't seem to necessarily confirm the 'force route' feature.

'Anyone have info on that? All help appreciated.

Steven

Back