• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

HELP: Lost Saddlebag In Maine

Glad to have been of assistance!...........:thumb

assistance? You, Donna at Whitehorse and Greg (the finder) in Limington were critical players in getting it all connected and then I could just arrange the logistics for repatriation. Thanks very much for your efforts! So, Beer Tent.... Penn.... 2011 ok :thumb - Bob

:thumb That's what a big part of this should be about. :thumb

:type I think that the "should" does exist but it clearly also could and maybe we don't hear enough of the good stories that exist. I think that the will and means are alive and well but maybe not everyone has the tools/knowledge/tenacity to go hunting for such wayward articles. We have been very fortunate to have had such stellar performers on our side throughout this search. The news was spread far and wide through members attached to other forums and groups. Some folks even went riding just to see if they could 'find Waldo'. An honest and concerned non-riding citizen of the beautiful state of Maine drew upon any resource that he could and a local HD rider steered him to Whitehorse, etc. What a wonderful example of the possible! Anyway, we're very happy and now have a fine little story that may assist others in the future. Now, to get the story on paper eh? - Bob

Bob,

If you could write this up for ON I think it would be great. With all the bad news in the world this example of cooperation and generous help from people would be a pleasure to read. Please do it.

Bob,

If you could write this up for ON I think it would be great. With all the bad news in the world this example of cooperation and generous help from people would be a pleasure to read. Please do it.

thanks for the encouraging note. Gail suggested it early on as well and I started thinking about it as 'human interest' mingled with networking opportunities and technical points on preventive practices (such as Ted and others have pointed out). Lots of material to work with. :type - Bob

I used to always know when I was getting close to the rally in the late 70.s and Early 80's because there would be cloths laying on the side of the road. The saddle bags had a terrible habit of falling open and dumping all the contents out or falling off the bike completely.

we used to put bundge cords on them to keep that from happening.

I wasn't online much in October and missed the latest posts on this. Glad everything worked out well Bob.

I wasn't online much in October and missed the latest posts on this. Glad everything worked out well Bob.

:type sure did work out well Paul! Now to finish off this draft for the News. I bet lots of folks have modified their gear accordingly due to this little adventure of ours. - Bob

Bob, I could understand losing the right case, but how did the left case ever come off? :dunno My left one is a real bear to remove from the bike. The left case almost seems as if it's meant to be a permanent fixture, at least on my old K. Glad you've been reunited with it and the contents.

Bob, I could understand losing the right case, but how did the left case ever come off? :dunno My left one is a real bear to remove from the bike. The left case almost seems as if it's meant to be a permanent fixture, at least on my old K. Glad you've been reunited with it and the contents.

I think that it has something to do with me repairing that bag. New rivets for the lock and a plastic weld on the inside half about five years ago when I dumped to the left after arriving at Americade. Overall though I would say that I am glad that this incident happened because of all the associated 'added value' that emerged. A Positives-Negatives relationship I suppose. - Bob

Bob, since my '87 K with 230,000 km is beginning to get broken in, I have wrapped the side case rails with black tape to increase their thickness and to make them rattle less and hopefully, reduce the play between the rails and the bags. This should make it more difficult for them to go exploring the countryside on their own.

MOA Lost Gear Service

Perhaps something like this has already been suggested, but not that I have seen.

An idea:

MOA members have option to pay a one time fee of $10-20 and in return get some durable stickers that read: "If this item is found please call 1-800-555-5555 and report the following number: (member's number)." The MOA then sends the member a PM or email that tells the member how to contact the person with the lost item.

This service will be beneficial for those that move repeatedly, are wary of putting personal info on a piece of gear or are on extended trips. It also limits the MOA's involvement to a minimal role. An alternative would be to offer a reward (say $25) to people who return lost items through this system. The program would need to be self funded.

Perhaps something like this has already been suggested, but not that I have seen.

An idea:

MOA members have option to pay a one time fee of $10-20 and in return get some durable stickers that read: "If this item is found please call 1-800-555-5555 and report the following number: (member's number)." The MOA then sends the member a PM or email that tells the member how to contact the person with the lost item.

This service will be beneficial for those that move repeatedly, are wary of putting personal info on a piece of gear or are on extended trips. It also limits the MOA's involvement to a minimal role. An alternative would be to offer a reward (say $25) to people who return lost items through this system. The program would need to be self funded.

that seems along the line of the War Amps key tag. (it works; got mine back that way). Seems like a idea that could catch on (except that the finder calls the 800 rather than putting in a mailbox :lol ) First preventative measures and then recovery measures.... Good idea methinks. - Bob

My saddle bag solution....

Hi All,
Great ending to an otherwise sad tale. Here is the mod I fashioned which solves a number of 'old-bag' short-comings.....

The Bike: 1985 K100RT This bike has notoriously poor side bags. (My 'early' locks have been repeatedly repaired.)

With my bags getting sloppy, I have replaced the 'cinch-lock' rubber pads with thicker rubbers. This helped, but not much.

After the gaskets flew the coop, I installed new gaskets then realized I could draw both lids towards the center, bringing them tighter into their respective gaskets. I accomplished this with the installation of a 'strap loop' onto each lid.

Strategically placed, this allows a strap to run from the left bag lid to the right bag lid, and passing above the license plate and below the tail light. Drawn together (gently), this draws the lids into their gaskets, snugs the bags to their mounts, and holds ALL onto the bike.

This does increase the PITA** factor when getting onto the bags, but I know my dirty clothes will make it to the next rally

Steve Miller
Oregon

85K100RTPix

85K100RTPix

Hi All,
Great ending to an otherwise sad tale. Here is the mod I fashioned which solves a number of 'old-bag' short-comings.....

The Bike: 1985 K100RT This bike has notoriously poor side bags. (My 'early' locks have been repeatedly repaired.)

With my bags getting sloppy, I have replaced the 'cinch-lock' rubber pads with thicker rubbers. This helped, but not much.

After the gaskets flew the coop, I installed new gaskets then realized I could draw both lids towards the center, bringing them tighter into their respective gaskets. I accomplished this with the installation of a 'strap loop' onto each lid.

Strategically placed, this allows a strap to run from the left bag lid to the right bag lid, and passing above the license plate and below the tail light. Drawn together (gently), this draws the lids into their gaskets, snugs the bags to their mounts, and holds ALL onto the bike.

This does increase the PITA** factor when getting onto the bags, but I know my dirty clothes will make it to the next rally

Steve Miller
Oregon

85K100RTPix

85K100RTPix

That and a couple of other little strategies will be our next move. Thanks for that Steve!... however, without those misfortunes how could we ever weave such a nice tale? Our tale was a good lesson for all about securing stuff and the broader good will that exists. - Bob

An idea:

I want to repost this suggestion from Kevin. Maybe it's something that is possible within this large enterprise (BMWMOA). Maybe it's a sticker (owner purchase) that is an option especially at re-register time. Maybe two stickers come as a tear-out in the Anonymous book? Like the War Amps strategy I suppose. Any thoughts on this...... especially from those at a board level of decision making? - Bob

Back