• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Around the Nurburgring

Since late March, I have trekked over to Germany on eight different ocassions in pursuit of my #1 passion, car racing. As a means of transportation between Frankfurt Airport and Nurburg, I use my trusty K100. On eight different occassions I have had the opportunity to search for new and different ways to cover both the Frankfurt-Nurburg route but also the route from my hotel in Spessart and the Ring.
I must say the last one this past end of July weekend, may have been the best in terms of cool roads! For one thing, I managed to make my 15 Km. commute from the hotel to the track into 56 Kms of wonderfully rolling roads! My way from Spessart to Frankfurt Airport was similarly new and longer, with a ride that not only took me through part of the Eiffels, the "Volcano Road" (me I would have sworn the last place on earth where there would be volcanoes is Germany!), a tremendous ride along the Mossel, later the Rhine (which I crossed by Ferry) and then through the Taunus range. Unbelievable how much one can discover of a fairly small part of any country really, given some patience, a map and of course time. Speaking of maps, of course I carry my Tom Tom along but over the several trips I am now convinced that navigation by GPS is well and good for getting from A to B but if you want to smell the roses and, more importantly, remember where you have been, nothing like a map!)
Later in September and into October I have three more trips over, unfortunately due to time constrainst for testing on the way over and crack of dawn flights on the way back, I will be stuck to the Autobahn, which if not that picturesque, at last offers some stretches where I can cruise @ 180 KPH and top speed test.:brad
Cheers
Andres

Hopefully your K100 will go faster than 180kph.

Have you had the opportunity to ride the Nordschleife with your K bike? Great fun! I took a BMW club sponsored 3 day class about a dozen years ago and it was just wonderful. There are a couple places besides the long straight where I could top out my R1100RS (reads about 135mph/220kph on the speedo).

I also wandered around the Eiffel a bit and noticed the "nicht rasen" signs. I guess the activities at the 'Ring get people wound up on these little roads.

:(
Hopefully your K100 will go faster than 180kph.

Have you had the opportunity to ride the Nordschleife with your K bike? Great fun! I took a BMW club sponsored 3 day class about a dozen years ago and it was just wonderful. There are a couple places besides the long straight where I could top out my R1100RS (reads about 135mph/220kph on the speedo).

I also wandered around the Eiffel a bit and noticed the "nicht rasen" signs. I guess the activities at the 'Ring get people wound up on these little roads.

I have not been able to take the K100 around the Nordschlieffe on a regular basis because I always get there on the Friday before the car racing event and the track is closed for that. Have done one single solitary lap on it last, last March. I did also did a 2 day BMW school a couple of years ago on my dearly deprted K1200RS and indeed, that was, and is, the most fund I have had with a motorized vehicle EVER! Of course I have over three hundred laps of the track under my belt in a car...:dance
Re the "rasen ist out" or "nicht razen" signs aimed at bikers, all I can say is the two nasty accidents I have seen aftermaths of, involved cars, not bikes. In one a British Porsche GT3 head on against an old Beemer (no fatalities) and the other one involved Nissan GTR driven by the factory test driver, also head on against another beemer and said test driver did not survive the encounter:(:(
Top speed on the K100 is somewhere past 220KPH but it is not happy at that speed. It wiggles! Don't know if it is because I usually have my gear bag strapped on to the seat and the fact that it has all three cases, or it is the suspension. On the K1200RS I done seen 260 on a French Autoroute and THAT was highly scary, a) the traffic moves a LOT slower and b) if "les flics" had caught me, I'd still be in jail me thinks....
Cheers
Andres

Attachments

• Peenemunde.jpg
    Peenemunde.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 81
The German autobahn authorities put up these safety message billboards along the autobahns. Last year when I was over, they had them up with the tag line "Rasieren sind so cool" ("racers are so cool") over a photo of a moderately attractive young woman who was holding her index finger and thumb about half an inch apart. So, it's not just the Eiffel area. But I've never seen such signs off the autobahn anywhere else.

(The Austrians put up signs in the Alps reading "Gibt dein Schutzengel einem Chance" (give your guardian angel a chance) with a picture of a cruiser well over the line. They need a bunch of those signs at The Dragon, from what I've seen.)

I would think that if your K has significant mileage on its shocks, that might be the cause of your wobble.

(The Austrians put up signs in the Alps reading "Gibt dein Schutzengel einem Chance" (give your guardian angel a chance) with a picture of a cruiser well over the line. They need a bunch of those signs at The Dragon, from what I've seen.)

Love that idea!

P6271087med.jpg

For highway signs, this is the one I like best.....

I know it has nothing to do with the time of day but I've been wanting to share it and here was my chance! Location: Alegrian back of beyond, 2007.
Cheers
Andres

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 48
Back