• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need some Seattle help... bike storage.

K

Kirbster919

I'm in a slight pinch, so I'm hoping an MOA member can help me out. I attended the rally in Redmond, riding my F800S from Chicagoland. After the rally, I rode to Seattle to visit a friend, dropped the bike off for service at Ride West BMW and caught a flight home. The intention was to fly back out a few weeks later, pick up the bike and ride home.

Life has happened, something came up, and I'm not able to take a week to go get the bike until December. Ride West can't store it that long. Is there an MOA member who would be able to pick the bike up, move it to their garage, and rent me a spot for the next 4 months? The bike is fully legal, insured, and in perfect running shape.

My only other option is to fly to Seattle, move the bike to a storage unit, then fly home the same day. I'm really trying to avoid that route.

Thank you in advance. If anybody has any other ideas, let me know, as I'm open to them!

I might be able to help, biggest drawback is I'm not actually in Seattle. It's a ferry ride to Bremerton or Bainbridge...then a bit of ride out to our place on the Hood Canal. And I've got room in the garage to tuck a bike away for awhile...

On the positive side, there's a shuttle from SeaTac to Silverdale on a pretty regular basis, so it would be relatively simple to get out here when your ready to ride her home...

Also...have you thought at all about just having it shipped by one of the regular motorcycle hauling companies? Just a thought as one buddy of mine bought his RT from a fella in Ohio and had it shipped for way less than the cost of a flight and multiple hotel rooms on the ride home. Another friend sold his Kawi Z-1 full restoration job to a guy in Boston...

At any rate if no one else closer to Ride West/Seattle volunteers, I'd sure be willing to discuss details. Let me know by PM through this board if you're interested...

Cheers, BJ

PS. Or maybe I could deliver it to Chicago myself....lol! I do have multiple relatives in Iowa that could use a visit. And on the way I could take a little detour to California and Nevada for some other visits too! (Just kidding...lol)

I'm up in Everett and don't have room in our garage but could get it and put it in a storage unit for you till then or if I have a long weekend drive it back to Chicago - well I am Ironbutt certified:thumb

SeabeckS, thank you very much but it sounds like that is a long haul for you. I have thought about shipping it back, but I have buddies on the coast that I wanted to visit on the way home. Besides, it would be a travesty to tell people you rode to the rally, only to not ride back (eventually....:) ). Again, thank you for offering to help.

bdiver, that sounds like a fantastic option, so if you're up for it, it would be a life saver. Give me a day to try and find a storage place as close as possible to Ride West, then I'll shoot you a PM and let you know what is up. I would imagine that any storage place's hours would match up with Ride West's, so I think you could probably go whenever it is easiest for you. Thank you very much.

Thank you guys... trying to find a way to get the bike stored has been a worry lately, so this is a relief.

Kirby

Kirby,

It's a bit of haul, but not a long haul...LOL. From Ride West it's about 10 to 15 minutes to the Seattle Ferry dock, then either a 35 or 60 minute boat ride. The longer boat ride puts me on a dock 20 minutes from home, the shorter boat ride is about 45 minutes from home...so it's a piece of cake either way.

But if other arrangements don't work out, my offer stands. An F800S would fit snugly in the corner of the garage, and it would only cost you a beer and perhaps a dinner at my favorite local brewpub (aka Silver City Brewhouse).

FYI, I'm retired and usually have a bit of time on my hands in between checking things off on the honey dew list now and then.

BTW, if you wait until December, you're gonna have a wet cold ride...and does your bike come with snow chains? You'd have to go quite aways south to avoid snow covered passes unless you got WAY lucky with the weather gods....

Cheers, Bill J :dance

Give me a day to try and find a storage place as close as possible to Ride West, then I'll shoot you a PM and let you know what is up. I would imagine that any storage place's hours would match up with Ride West's...

Another thought.
What can RideWest do? All those guys are local.
Plenty of storage units on Lake City Way.
Couldn't you arrange the rental and have their kid drop it off via their truck?
Nothing for them to put the bike in storage for you.
Call it "Customer Service". :thumb

"Storage Units" in Seattle near RideWest.

Don't forget to have them put StablÔäó in the gas.

~ Jim

Not sure if assistance is still needed...it's been pretty quiet on this thread..

However, I regret that my offer will have to be withdrawn, my spouse was hospitalized on Sunday. I'm a bit tied up for the immediate future....

Sorry.

Bill J

Sorry for being so quiet. I couldn't get logged into my account for the past few days, as it appears my password wasn't working, and when I tried to reset it all I got was an error page. I just got home for the day, to find everything working.

SeabeckS, no worries! I'm sorry to hear about your wife, and I wish for the best for you!

bdiver, sorry I didn't get that PM out. I waited until the last minute, then couldn't get on my account. Let me give Ride West a call tomorrow (they are closed Mondays) and I'll post here or PM you tomorrow. My apologies!

GrafikFeat, good idea. The thought didn't cross my mind, but it should have.

I've got space in my garage here on Bainbridge Island. Same ferry as SeabeckS but only 4 miles from the dock. I have a small bike hauling trailer too so I could just pick it up one day after work.

Alright, my bike has a home and will be moving in this Thursday. I had a hard time finding a storage place that would rent to me without me being there, but one of the smaller places was willing to let me, so I've made arrangements to have the bike dropped there.

Thank you for all the offers to help and the advice!

Back