• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Feedback on Rte 52 in Mich and 109 in Ohio

DRRAOULDUKE

Going to the 2005 Rally with my 9 year old grandson in my antique sidecar rig. He lives northwest of Detroit in White Lake, Michigan. Not being a big proponent of traveling the slab I thought I would take 275 South to Route 12 West and then pick up Route 52 just outside Chelsea and go South into Ohio where it becomes Route 109 and run that into Lima. Looking for feedback on both Route 52 in Michigan and Route 109 in Ohio. Are they decent roads? If anybody out there can suggest a better route (as Ross Perot said.) I am all ears.

Thanks in Advance,

Dr. Raoul Duke

Hi Dr. Duke

I think we can improve somewhat on your proposed route. But help me out a bit. Where is White Lake? For some reason it's not in my Michigan map index. In any event, I'm sure we can find some more picturesques roads than you're considering, but I need a starting point.

Here's a quick version

Dr. Duke,
Thanks, I found White Lake on the atlas at home. It's north of M-14, and I'm not real familiar with those roads, so I'll start in Canton, which is south of M-14. This route will avoid all slabs and most major highways, which is the way I prefer to ride. From Canton go south on Canton Center Road (turns into Belleville Rd) to Willis Rd. About 10 miles. Go west on Willis Rd into Saline, about 12-15 miles. Willis is mostly rural. It ends at Saline-Milan Rd. Go north less than a mile to US-12 and go west on US-12 about 2 miles to the traffic light at Austin Rd. (US-12 is pretty busy, with lots of truck traffic.) Turn right (north) on Austin, which turns and heads west into Manchester. It's a real pretty road, with some nice curves, through farmland. This will take you to M-52, in about 12 miles. All of this is much prettier than I-275 and US-12. There are more back roads from Manchester to the state line. I can find some of them if you're interested. Just email me. Good riding. :beer I'll be riding those same roads, and will be looking for something interesting from Saline to Lima, just haven't got it mapped out yet.

Manchester,Irish Hills area is real nice for this part of the country.HOWEVER,make sure to obey the posted speed limit through Manchester,my sister in law got a 5 over ticket(25 in a 20)and a $120.00 fine along with it. :doh

Sr 109 will get you there just don't fall asleep. It's pretty much flat open farm land.

Doug Mc Gee

Back