• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Quiet comfortable helmet recommendation

S

SNOONE

I know everyone has an opinion about this subject but can I get some feedback on your favorite allround hemet . Has anybody found perfection?:dunno

snoone said:
I know everyone has an opinion about this subject but can I get some feedback on your favorite allround hemet . Has anybody found perfection?:dunno

It really depends on the shape of your head. Arai's fit me better than my Shoeis did and my Signet fits me better than my Quantum did. I don't have a problem with either brand, the Arais just fit me better.

Some folks like the convenience of Shuberth or other flip up helmets, but I prefer a traditional full face.

It's kind of like buying shoes; there is no perfect shoe for everybody.

dave

Some folks like the convenience of Shuberth or other flip up helmets, but I prefer a traditional full face.

I have been curiuous about the benefits of the flip front style helmets. They seemed like they woud be more convienient to put on. I recently tried on a HJC flip front helmet (the only one that is available in Canada) and found that it really was not any better than my Shoei full face, plus it did not fit me well either. Am I missing the point of these things? What real benifit do they offer?

For now I'll stick with my Shoei, a brand that I always seem to end up with as they always fit me best.

re: quiet comfortable helmet recommendation

I'm mostly concerned about noise. HelmetsI've owned fit meok . I have a shuberth and have owned Shoei's as well. Any thoughts :confused:

MrsKbasa said:
Personally I found the Arai to be quieter than the Shoei, using both with earplugs.

You are the first person I have ever heard/read that thought the Arai was quieter than a Shoei. Everyone else I've ever talked to says the Shoeis are considerably quieter.

I love the Shoei helmets, they just fit me better. I also like the HJC AC-10, which is very comparable to a Shoei RF800, but costs much less. I am very sure that Arai helmets are excellent products, they just don't make one that fits me just right, like the Shoei.

My vote goes goes to Arai for best fit and the most quiet.

I have had Bell,BMW,and Shoei helmets,and none of them comes close to the Arai. I try to wear earplugs most every time I ride, but the Arai is the best, plugs or not.

I got an Arai Signet GT (Cathcart replica) for Christmas, and find that it fits better, is quieter, and LIGHTER than my Shoei. This is my first Arai after 15 years of Shoei's, and I really like it.

:thumb

LegendGirl

Price Gouging Arai......but I paid it anyway

I had a crummy experience trying to buy a new Arai to replace my old Quantum/e, now that Arai won't let them be sold by catalogs or internet companies. Two of the approved Arai dealers tried to get me to order a Quantum/f without having one in my size to try on.......no better than internet purchasing, I think. And they wanted full retail. I found a decent discount at a Honda dealer (If you're reading this, thanks Glen.)

That said, I find my Arai's to be quieter and more comfy than my Shoei. The Shoei is a fine product, but putting on the Arai is like sticking your head in a very small Lexus.

Terry B
Pittsburgh

p.s. the quietest, lightest, helmet I've ever had was a Kiwi (made in Switzerland, go figger). What ever happened to them? It was a great helmet and it was inexpensive.

I just went from a Shoei RF700 to a Shoei TZ-1.

IMO, the TZ-1, though less expensive, is better than the RF series. It fits better, is lighter, and is quieter.

Maybe it is just me, but Shoeis seem like they are the only ones that give my chin any space from the chin bar.

This is especially true with the flip-up helmets I've tried on.
Whenever I closed the visor, it would hit my chin--and I do not have a big chin.

helmets

I use two helmets. A Schuberth Concept for cold weather and highspeed interstate work, and a Bell open face for nice days and just cruising on back roads.

Schuberth: expensive, suprisingly noisey for a full face, but comfortable and has many nice features including a buillt in sun visor that slides down when needed. It also provides decent rain protection.

Bell: less than $100, comfortable, good hot weather helmet, no protection from rain.

A guy needs more than one helmet. My wife doesn't follow this line of thinking though.

Helmets I like

I have worn an Arai 3 quarter for a solid 8 hours and could go longer. I like my Nolan full face flip up. They now make it with 1 hand flip up button.:cat

MCMXCIV-RS said:
snip..I recently tried on a HJC flip front helmet (the only one that is available in Canada) and found that it really was not any better than my Shoei full face, plus it did not fit me well either. Am I missing the point of these things? What real benifit do they offer?

Ed....I wear an HJC Symax Flip Helmet...the benefit to me is lighter weight (haven't weighed it, just feels lighter than my old Shoei full face did) and for example, a couple of weeks ago while cruising through some small towns in S. Texas in 100 degree heat, it was really great to flip the helmet up with one hand and get some air.

My .02

my vote is for the Q3 Pro as well as X-Vent made by AGV lightest, quietest, most comfortable helmet I have owned

Attachments

• imola.jpg
    imola.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 895
I have a Shoei Syncrotec, flip up, andI have found that I can get a tighter fit with it than a standard full face helmet. with the chin piece up, I can spread it open slightly, and when the chin piece is is down, if feels very secure, and is suprisingly quiet. I like having the option of opening it up for extra air in the summer, and the security of the full face helmet. It sure was a pain to but in my headset though, and you have to use the open face style.

quiet helmet

I bought a new Shoei RF900 to replace a Nolan Rapid flip, looking for something quieter.

The Shoei was remarkably quiet, with and without plugs. Very light and comfortable and the ease of shield change is dandy.

This helmet actually has a ventilation system that works.

I got mine for $252.00 shipping included from www.helmetharbor.com.

Warning! The XL doesn't fit into my RT's top case.

Back