Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quiet comfortable helmet recommendation

my vote is for the Q3 Pro as well as X-Vent made by AGV lightest, quietest, most comfortable helmet I have owned
    Attached Images Attached Images  

SNOONE
    Who did the graphics on your AGV. Nice Helmet!!!!!!:cool:

this is a Rossi Imola replica, they are done that way at factory,...bright and very visible in traffic flow

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    I have a Shoei Syncrotec, flip up, andI have found that I can get a tighter fit with it than a standard full face helmet. with the chin piece up, I can spread it open slightly, and when the chin piece is is down, if feels very secure, and is suprisingly quiet. I like having the option of opening it up for extra air in the summer, and the security of the full face helmet. It sure was a pain to but in my headset though, and you have to use the open face style.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Practicing the craft

Cool quiet helmet

I bought a new Shoei RF900 to replace a Nolan Rapid flip, looking for something quieter.

The Shoei was remarkably quiet, with and without plugs. Very light and comfortable and the ease of shield change is dandy.

This helmet actually has a ventilation system that works.

I got mine for $252.00 shipping included from www.helmetharbor.com.

Warning! The XL doesn't fit into my RT's top case.

helmets

I had a nolan n100 flip up that I thought was comfortable, then I tried on an Arai Signet GTR and now I know what comfortable is. I was unaware that Arai makes different shapes. Round, oval (front to back) and oval (left to right). Now when I put the nolan on I feel almost unprotected due toi the difference between the flip up and full face. I can ride all day with the Arai, 2-3 hours before I have to take the Nolan off. Mostly because the Nolan isn't the correct shape for my head. Try on as many as you can before you buy.

My last Shoei felt great, until it was on my head for an hour, then it was like a chinese torture device after that. Big red painful spot on my forehead, headache that wouldn't go away, felt like circulation cut off to my brain. My Arai is just plain awesome all day long. Not that Arai is better, I just have an Arai-shaped head. Go to a dealer, try a bunch, take your most likely candidates and wear them for 20 or 30 minutes each to make sure you find the best fit.

(then support your dealer, he's had to suffer through the sight of you wearing his brain-buckets around the shop all morning long)
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?

I'm in the market for a new lid myself. I've read all the posts, all of the test results, and checked the pricing on almost every site that sells them. I was going to go for the HJC symax until I read a test report that warned about the fact that with the chin bar in the up position they can roll right off. I tried this at a dealer last night, I tightened the strap and then rolled it towards the front and sure enough it comes right off with little effort. I heard quite a few good comments on the Nolan. With safety, quality, and price as my main concerns, I think I'll end up with one of these.

helmets

Before you emabrk on your quest to purchase a Nolan, I would make sure you have a Nolan "shaped" head. I found them to be very round (vertical axis). If you decide you do, I have a Medium in Red with little wear (jpegs available) that I would part with inexpensively.

lids

KBasa got it right on the first reply.

Helmets are like shoes.

Keep trying them on till you find the right one. Even then you won't know for sure till you wear it for a while.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar

Smile Test Ride the Helmet

I have two helmets, my wife had two and now has one (we gave the 3/4 to a neighbor who just got a Honda 50cc Spree Scooter).

I have an Arai Quantum/f and a Schueberth Concept. My wife has a Nolan. She loves her Nolan - I can not stand the fit.

I love my Arai, especially for long rides. Quiet, good cooling/venting, can get a drink tube in. Fogs a little to easily at a stop light for me, can crack the shield but that is not as easy as on the Schueberth that has the nice little tab sticking out. Can easily get straight ear piece sunglasses on.

Schueberth is easier to put on even when wearing glasses, and is very handy when going to through drive throughs (bank, pharmacies, toll booths...) The shield rattles too much for me. The helmet does not seem to be as stable in the wind. The sun visor though makes in invaluable for commuting to work. Work is east of the house; morning into the sun and shadow, evening, into the sun and shadow. So I deal with the other items for that convinience.

Most dealers will let you walk around the store for a while wearing the helmet - I walked around with the Schueberth for about an hour. The Arai about 30 minutes. Some will let you take a test helmet out for a spin to see how it feels. Always ask for that. What is comfortable in the still air might suck on the road.

YMMV.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Re: helmets

Originally posted by abmwrider
    If you decide you do, I have a Medium in Red with little wear.
    I tried a medium on in the show room and it fit great. What model do you own? Although the grey classic plus is more to my liking, for the right price I may find a red one to be acceptable...

Write me and let me know your asking price, maybe we can wrap this up.

Don

R_George_RT
    Arai 3/4.