• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'95 k75

JMartin
Recently purchased a beautiful '95 K75 with approx. 28K miles and ABS (which I understand is standard on this model.) My 4th BMW. Getting used to the brake operation. Rear brake doesn't seem to have much (any?) stopping power when used without the front brake. I am not a heavy rear brake user so I haven't noticed the issue very frequently (also haven't had time to put many miles on it so far). Should I expect to have to use both front and rear brakes simultaneously? Brake fluid was recently changed during a major service at a dealer. Rear brake seem to operate properly during a stationary test on the center stand. Getting ready for a quick 3-day trip around Colorado so any insight will be appreciated. Thanks!

Conventional wisdom is that breaking effectiveness is 70% front and 30% rear, or even 80% front and 20% rear. This is acutely true on the K75.

The rear brake is most useful as a parking lot brake or for other slow speed maneuvers. It also adds that extra small percentage during normal braking.

But to actually make the bike stop quickly front brake is mandatory and primary.

I have always felt the opposite about the rear brake on my non-abs 1994 K75/2. I know that physics dictates that the front brakes provide the large majority of braking power, and even more-so when the brakes are applied (weight shifts forward) but my rear brakes have always felt very strong. Compared to my other bikes, I end up using the rear brakes much more often than usual. so much so that the pads wear down far faster than the fronts.

I have recently installed a set of 4-pot K1100 calipers in the front along side of a 20mm MC so I have a feeling that my bias toward the rear brake will change.

'95 K75 - follow-up regarding Rear Braking power

Thank you for your replies to my question regarding the rear braking power on the K75. Much appreciated!

Jim Martin
Denver, Colorado

i regularly practice my emergency stops on the k75 - good thing as if my initial attempts generally wind up skidding the rear tire but after a few tries, i re-learn the balance of front/back braking - Paul's right - 80% front...... there's a reason for 2 discs up there.

p

Back