• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Great Rally.....HUGE Omission

careycsg

Thanks to everybody who put in alot of hard work to make this a great rally in a perfect location! Somewhat warm, but more than offset with beautiful country and great riding.

At the closing ceremonies, of which I was not in attendance, it was pointed out to me how a particular individual was honored for a personal achievment of many miles ridden. That is worth a good mention. IMHO, a far greater accomplishment was not mentioned and that is the accomplishment of my fellow Chicago Region club member and BMWMOA pioneer, Norm Phoenix who attended his 38th consecutive rally and he has ridden his BMW to every single one. More importantly, Norm was involved in a crash the week before when a car turned in front of him, forcing him down with considerable damage to his bike and a great many bruises. Demonstrating his committment to the MOA rally, Norm got on his K1200 and made the trip from Chicago in 4 days and arrived to continue his record as the only BMWMOA member to ride to and attend every single rally in the history of the MOA. Here is a picture of Norm after arriving at the rally. Our hats are off to you Norm and here is the recognition you have earned and deserve. Well Done!

Attachments

• Norm.jpg
    Norm.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 644
Norm is certainly amazing for having this accomplishment notched on his belt. There could be a special mention in the magazine, couldn't there!?

Also, happy to hear that he's obviously doing okay after his spill.

Norm, this is an amazing accomlishment. I have the utmost respect for you. You are an amazing indivudual and deserve the recognition which has surpassed you. You are an amazing person. I want to be like you.
:clap
Chuck Senn
R1200RY (Red)

careycsg;601207 IMHO said:
ridden[/B] his BMW to every single one. More importantly, Norm was involved in a crash the week before when a car turned in front of him, forcing him down with considerable damage to his bike and a great many bruises. Demonstrating his committment to the MOA rally, Norm got on his K1200 and made the trip from Chicago in 4 days and arrived to continue his record as the only BMWMOA member to ride to and attend every single rally in the history of the MOA. Here is a picture of Norm after arriving at the rally. Our hats are off to you Norm and here is the recognition you have earned and deserve. Well Done!

Helmet's off to you Norm!! Norm is a true "pioneer". Glad he wasn't insured in his mishap, and was able to attend his 38th rally!!

I agree...

Some of the back slapping could have been lessened by bringing this to the forefront during closing ceremonies.
With all the hoopla raised for 1st timers of which I was overlooked...

This feat is certainly worthy of a mention. :brow

Norm is a bad ass!

That sounds impossible.....wow...I am blown away.
And here I am whining that I probably won't be able to make next years!
I'd love to see a picture thread of Norm at all of them!

Congrats Man! You are my freakin' hero! :wave

:thumb:D:bliss:lol:beer:bar:rocker:beer:jester:twirl

I've got one! Sturgis, MI Rally 2009

Norm at last year's 2009 Sturgis MI Rally.

Attachments

• Norm Sturgis MI 2009.jpg
    Norm Sturgis MI 2009.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 421
Norm is a Rider!

Norm was one of five Pioneers (those members that attended all of the first ten MOA National Rallies) in attendence and recognized on stage at the 35th Rally in West Bend. At that time he was the only one to have attended and ridden to all 35 rallies. Norm is a great person and a really good guy. If you get the chance to meet him, do it! You'll be glad you did.

On article

I think it would be great if the OP wrote an ON article about Norm and his accomplishments.

In defense of the volunteers who worked so hard on awards, if you don't tell them, they don't necessarily know. I was supposed to be the awards co-chair but never made the rally. I put a plea on the Canadian Meet and Greet thread for fellow Canadians to help out. I know they did. Other people filled in and did a superb job of doing the awards, with very little advance notice. I'm sure they would have loved to recognize Norm had they know.

Holly

I think it would be great if the OP wrote an ON article about Norm and his accomplishments.

In defense of the volunteers who worked so hard on awards, if you don't tell them, they don't necessarily know. I was supposed to be the awards co-chair but never made the rally. I put a plea on the Canadian Meet and Greet thread for fellow Canadians to help out. I know they did. Other people filled in and did a superb job of doing the awards, with very little advance notice. I'm sure they would have loved to recognize Norm had they know.

Holly

sorry to hijack, but you were missed at the rally, Holly!:cry

Had he been honored at the Rally, I would probably never have heard of his accomplishment or seen a picture of what must be a really nice person. I, for one, am glad he is getting his recognition here.:clap

FWIW, I would love to read a story about this man, and I hope that someday I get to meet him.

Tom

Norm is one of the nicest people I have ever met. I did not know about his accident just a few days before the rally.

Glad he made it to Redmond this year!

If this isn't worthy of an article in the ON - complete with photos of Norm at rallies over the decades and stories of the obstacles he's overcome to continue his streak - then I have no idea what purpose the ON serves.

Back