• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Alone

Vagabird

A wandering Bird
I used to always ride with a partner, but now I ride alone. I will be travelling from Minneapolis to the east coast and thought IÔÇÖd take route 11 through Kapuskising ON, which looks to be very remote.

It occurred to me that I may be safer on the bike than in the car, because I may appear to be tougher than I would as a woman alone in a car. Or am I just trying to justify my desire to take the bike?

- Kate

It occurred to me that I may be safer on the bike than in the car, because I may appear to be tougher than I would as a woman alone in a car. Or am I just trying to justify my desire to take the bike?

- Kate
No need to "justify" here. Wanting to do it is justification enough:clap

I ride alone all the time. I'm 5'2" and 108 lb, so looking tough isn't an option even on a bike. I have never had the slightest problem. Last year I dropped my bike and broke 3 ribs in VA. MOA anonymous members stepped up and helped me get home, plus storing my bike until Medjet brought it back. This year I had both a medical and a family emergency on the way to Redmond. Trust me, Kapuskaping isn't any more remote than Wyoming. I didn't need anonymous help this time but managed on my own. I do carry a SPOT tracker so my friends and family know where I am all the time. A friend from Canada picked up right away that I was staying in one spot too long in the middle of nowhere WY and got in touch with me.

If you want to come further south in ON there is a bed here for you and I'll show you around Hamilton and Niagara Falls.

Holly

PS: your state troopers are very helpful in an emergency and the ER in Rock Springs is very nice.

+1 on what Holly said. I ride alone most all the time. Just got back from an 11,000 mile trip to Alaska and Redmond, plus a few side trips. People tend to be quite friendly when I'm out there. Just use common sense and trust your gutt.
If something doesn't look or feel right, move away from it. And, I tend to ride in daylight only. Not so much for fear but because of deer.

Hmmm.. my brother has a SPOT... our Pop gave it to him to carry in his airboat out in the marsh.. if he has a problem, just mash the button....

Don't know if your route is covered by SPOT...

I think you will have nothing to worry about. I've crossed the U.S. a few times by myself on my RT and never have had a problem. I think there is a lot of curiosity from folks when I stop for gas or meal breaks. Everyone has been nothing but cordial and you meet an awful lot of nice people that way! :brow

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Turns out the bike has a problem that can't be fixed until after I have to leave, so I have to take the car anyway. :(

Now I remember why I like to have two bikes (only one at the moment, and she's in the hospital :bluduh).

- Kate

Touring is a crime of opportunity, and your availability may be greater than your partner/spouse/friends.
If you want to go, the fact that no one else is available should not stand in your way.

Wear ATGATT, and you'll just be the grubby guy on the bike to the general public.
There are loads of sites with great tips on sensible travel precautions for businesswomen
that you can extrapolate to meet your needs. Be alert to situation, plan well.

Then go. Just pack and go. :thumb

Back