• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Initial Helmet Comparison

paulsibek

Picked up a Nolan N100E yesterday. Not the Plus but it was new and such a deal...

The first thing I noticed is that it is much lighter than the Shuberth. It also has as nice an interior as the Shu. The chin bar closes with an authoritative snap.

I can't tell if it is quieter yet as I didn't have time for the freeway.

Secondly, my face is closer to the shield (IÔÇÖm claustrophobic and itÔÇÖs no biggie) and there is no chin pad like the Shu. No biggie either. Initially I would say the chin pad on the Shu cuts down on wind coming up through the helmet but more riding will verify if that is the case.

Peripheral vision seems better and the Shu is very good.

I like the two visor positions at itÔÇÖs lower end. The fact that it doesnÔÇÖt snap closed at 50+ mph I like too.

The chin bar on the Nolan articulates as it rises which I like. Too often as I was putting the Shu on, it would drop closed and knock my glasses off.

The Nolan seems to be beautifully made, at least as nice as the Shu and WAY better than the two BieffeÔÇÖs IÔÇÖve had including the new model Bieffe (junky).

One small irritation is that it is just a little too small. (XL). The XXL was too large when I tried it on. This is the first helmet IÔÇÖve had that is too small, will the helmet grow a little as I wear it or is their a way to make it slightly bigger? IÔÇÖm talking just a fraction here.

So initially I really like it and at the price I got it and even at a retail price- <$200 itÔÇÖs a steal.

I have two of the Nolan helmets you bought and I have found they are much quieter, vent better (cooler and less likely to FOG), and fit me better than my Schuberth Concept (the chin strap on my Schuberth CUTS my neck like Piano wire!).
Like you, my Nolan's were tight in the beginning but, with repeated use (as with most new helmets) the liner will conform to your features, and become much more comfortable. For the money, the Nolan helmets can't be beat (my opinion), and further, Nolan will have a sun shade attachment to fit ALL of their flip-up design helmets soon!
I no longer use the Schuberth and it is for sale.

Paul, A quick way to "break in" a helmet is to identify the pressure points which are making it feel too small and then slightly compress the foam in that area by kneading it with your knuckles. Be aware that this reduces the ability of the foam to absorb impact energy - go slow. Compress it slighly, try it on, compress a little more if needed, you get the picture.
I've owned two Nolans, the 3/4 N40 and now the N100. I think they are great helmets for the price. I have yet to put one to the ultimate test.
Steve

I'm waiting to see the new X-1002 X-Lite helmet from Nolan. It will be the "next generation" flip up helmet from them. I have been on their site and I have talked to some people at CIMA International, Glendale Heights, Il - CIMA is the US distributor- about the new helmet.

The X-1002 is just starting to get around in the US. Nolan will be taking it to shows and getting them out to magazines for review. The helmet will have all the bells and whistles, like the sun visor and it will be made from a Kevlar-Fiberglass base. While I don't know the price, I have a feeling it won't even be close to the prices for the old Nolan 100 model. If you go to the Nolan site, click on the circular "X-Lite" logo to get into a section just on the new light-weight helmets. You'll see the X-1002 there and the (limited) colors that are available at this time. It looks very good and well thought out.

I have a feeling the helmet may approach $400 and at that price point I am tempted to pick up a BMW Evo IV in Europe. Of course, it would be in the Mandarin Orange color to match my 1100 S.

I never had a flip-up helmet and I understand that this can be a hot topic for some. No offense is meant on my part, but I am curious about them and look forward to reading reviews of the new Nolan X-1002 helmet and hearing from anyone who gets one. Everyone I know who has the N100 raves about it. My guess is that when the X-1002 hits the shelves, you might see some serious discounting on the N100. I don't know if they will stop production of the N100.

New Nolan

I saw and tried the new Nolan helmet at the Long Beach MC Show. It was OK, it didn't seem much lighter and the visor will apparently be modified to fit the older N100's, so I'm not sure about the $400.

I also have a Shuberth and that was $400 too. I didn't care about the price but now that I've had a Nolan the additional $200 is a factor, ie new tires etc. The N100 is such a deal for the price I paid and as I said above, even at retail it's a steal.

As far as flip ups, I've had three now. They are probably not as good as a real full face in an acident but at the point that a good flip up will break open you may already be past the point of caring. I don't think I am giving up safety for convenience, but that is an arguable point at best. If I didn't wear glasses and wasn't claustrophobic it would be a different story. Anyway with so many companies concerned with liability and litigation I doubt that so many of these helmets would be produced if there was a real safety issue.

I've owned 2 nolans and they have served me well. I'm looking forward to the sun shield option for my existing helmet. I've heard about the new helmet and will reserve judgement until I read tests on it later on. I think nolan hit a very good price point and the new helmet is supposed to be much more expensive, that might affect sales. I hope they continue with the 100E line since that will allow more people to buy a quality helmet.

pete

New Nolan

I'm curious whether Nolan will continue the N100. It would make sense to have the product line span the two existing price points, unless they think that the N100 will canabalize sales from the new helmet.

If they're smart, they make both. Making the old one can't possibly cost all that much since the N100 helmet has been in production for years and the cost of the molds are certainly expensed by now. Are flip-up (modular) helmets becoming more popular? Nolan might be the only manufacturer in this (U.S.) market that can offer two different helmets at two very different prices. That is a good thing, in my view, since it gives them more exposure in the marketplace.

I am concerned about weight. Back in October, when I was corresponding with CIMA, they indicated that the N100 weighs 3.5 lbs and the X-1002 weighs 4 lbs. Oops. That's going the wrong way if you are paying a premium to get some Kevlar mixed in with the fiberglass. I'd love to see someone do an in-depth anaylsis of the X-1002. If you see one, give a shout.

Back