• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sticky throttle-no auto return

lvermiere

Early 07 1200Gt (39,000km) or 24,000 miles.

A week ago we left on a 5,000km/3,000mile ride and the throttle return was crisp. It snapped back as it should.

Two days before getting home the throttle refused to snap back any more. It had to be rolled back by hand to get to idle, kind of like having a 'Thottlemeister' on.

Cruise control was off before the trip and after. The threaded adjustment nuts for the two throttle cables had not moved. (the throttle cable and the cruise cable)

Stock airbox and mapping and it has run flawless up until this point. Now it will surge a bit at 3,000rpm and it didn't return to idle twice. This could be a symptom of the sticky throttle or something else so I would first like to eliminate the sticky throttle.

I know it could be symptomatic of the airbox or mapping getting out of wack but the sticky throttle symptom isn't mentioned much when these issues are discussed.

Suggestions on how to lubricate the throttle or what else to look for before getting the airbox/mapping checked out?

You could remove the throttle cable from the throttle and lubricate with a cable oiler.

Available at motorcycle bike stores, specially if they sell off road bikes.

Here is what they look like - http://www.speedsupplies.com/accessorylistingdetailpurch.asp?item=42152

The other thing you may want to check is the operation of the bowden cables controlling the throttle body assembly.

Thanks, I'll give it a go lubing the 2 cables and see what happens. Being teflon coated I won't use silicone spray for fear of gumming it up. Probably try some dry graphite mixed with gun lube.
Good point about the bowden cable(s). Maybe one of the 2 rubber grommets is binding or the compression spring is stuck. :D

Funny story...well now it is...

Buddy came up to me at a local rally on a K12R, had a leaking fuel Q-connector. We pulled the tank off to find a blue shop towel all wrapped up in his linkage and the return springs on the TB assy.

He said he had been having issues since his last dealer service with no throttle snap back... hopefully that was a one in a million shop fart and not your problem.

Also have had the grip rubbers slide inwards on a few bikes adding a friction zone against the switch assy, made worse in winter when the grip heaters were used. Sprayed some 409 under the rubber and repositioned...was dry and ready to go the next morning

anyways, back to the regular scheduled t-shooting :lurk

Funny story...well now it is...

Buddy came up to me at a local rally on a K12R, had a leaking fuel Q-connector. We pulled the tank off to find a blue shop towel all wrapped up in his linkage and the return springs on the TB assy.

He said he had been having issues since his last dealer service with no throttle snap back... hopefully that was a one in a million shop fart and not your problem.

Also have had the grip rubbers slide inwards on a few bikes adding a friction zone against the switch assy, made worse in winter when the grip heaters were used. Sprayed some 409 under the rubber and repositioned...was dry and ready to go the next morning

anyways, back to the regular scheduled t-shooting :lurk

Friction zone , check.

Friction zone , check.

Update:
Cables when taken off were smooth so likely not the bowden end. lubed them anyway. Also lubed the inner part of the grip and all internal workings of the plastic pieces that the cables and t operate in (done mainly with vaseline and graphite). Now the T has snap back with just a slight bit of friction.

Best I can figure happenned is the T body grip itself moved creating the friction zone as mentioned in the earlier post. Or possibly the ribbed end of the metal cable sheath fell out of the slot in the plastic piece that holds the cables. Maybe I had it wide open and pressured it out?

Anyway, will monitor and advise if anything new develops. :D

Back