• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

US Rt. 301 in Virginia

How is the riding on Route 301 between Richmond and the state line in MD?

It's a nice, and uneventful, ride. The bridge over the Potomac in Maryland is very nice (pun intended -- it's named after a former Maryland governor by that name). Going that way has the added advantage of sparing one some of the worst riding in the country -- the stretch of I-95 between Fredericksburg and the Maryland line.

I second midcruiser's statement. Mostly four lane rural highway. I usually get on 207 at Bowling Grren and take it to I-95 to finish the trip to Richmond. By then you are pretty much done with the DC traffic mess. Occasionally state highway patrol runs radar on this road so don't get too carried away with the throttle.

I used to commute from Richmond to the Navy base in Dahlgren VA, which is right at the foot of the Nice bridge on the Virginia side, every day. 301 south is an easy rural ride until you get just north of Richmond and start hitting the traffic lights in the 'burbs, but it is not far down to I-295 from that point. Most days, the local LEO's run a lot of radar between the Rappahannock River and I-95, and they prey on out of state vehicles. 62 is about as fast as I will ever run through that corridor. There are also a lot of deer out and about while crossing through US Army Base A P Hill just south of Fort Royal, VA.

Once you are in Richmond, 301 is pretty much a city street until you are south of Petersburg, as is US1. The interstates are about the only way to make decent time through the area.

Roy F

How is the riding on Route 301 between Richmond and the state line in MD?

Back