• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMWs not welcome at Michigan's Bike Week

I think of "bike brand" and "a**hole/nice people" as separate and independent factors, like the "X" and"Y" axes of a graph. There are points all over the graph. I wave at everybody unless I'm using the clutch. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
Most Harley riders will initiate a wave to me and most Harley riders will wave back when I initiate a wave. But I have had some Harley riders turn their heads away when I wave at them, like how dare I even wave at them.

as they rear-end a big truck :banghead
shoulda waved :nyah

+1

You don't suppose the OP's situation could have been fueled by the following factors:

- guy shows up to a race two hours late on a +$20K motorcycle
- guy starts crabbing about the pricing to a guy that's probably been standing out in the sun for a few hours.
- guy doesn't bother to find out how much it costs to get in before he shows up, then gripes about information that was readily available somewhere.

Is it that BMWs aren't welcome? Or is it that people that can't be bothered to find out how much the event costs ahead of time but feel free to bitch about the pricing piss the organizers off?

No offense to the original poster, but if I was the guy at the gate, I'd probably have told you that was price and you could take it or leave it.

In reply to the above... I used to work with a couple of guys that regularly attend this and similar gatherings....nice at work but when I asked if they wanted to get together for a ride the reply was something like..."did you finally get a real motorcycle, or are you still on that same old POS?" Needless to say, I only asked one time. When I saw one of them on the side of the road with a broken clutch cable, I waved as I passed.:nyah

+1

You don't suppose the OP's situation could have been fueled by the following factors:

- guy starts crabbing about the pricing to a guy that's probably been standing out in the sun for a few hours.
- guy doesn't bother to find out how much it costs to get in before he shows up, then gripes about information that was readily available somewhere.

Is it that BMWs aren't welcome? Or is it that people that can't be bothered to find out how much the event costs ahead of time but feel free to bitch about the pricing piss the organizers off?

No offense to the original poster, but if I was the guy at the gate, I'd probably have told you that was price and you could take it or leave it.

YouÔÇÖre dead on Dave.

The OP's first post here was a piss and moan post. He also stated he posted on their site complaining about the prices.

You get what you give out in life.

Ah, the voice of reason.
Thanks, Dave! :thumb :wave

My post was not intended to be mean spirited, just a light poke.

+1

Hmmmm, Since u read my site's rant then u know that the hill climb tickets ARE just $10 and these guys were trying to rip me off for two $50 tickets to their week long event I didn't need.
I clearly stated and provided a link to their website showing the actual ticket price!
So you feel they were right in trying to rip me for $100 before they would direct me to the $10 event...
OR are you posting on a subject "about information that was readily available somewhere" but you can't be bothered to find before announce that YOU WOULD have tried to ripped me off too!

NO OFFENSE but why are you taking my site's page and spinning it to support dishonesy thieves? or are you personally slamming me without knowing what your talking about?

Dimplomacy

Hi guys,

Being a proud Michigander I never like to read folks getting into it about my peeps, but I just thought I would pass on this little story.

I was managing a hosue renovation in roanoke last month, long days of hard work, and I was car-bound the whole week. So coming out of a Starbucks I noticed two Hog riders looking incredibly happy nursing their drinks beside their immaculate bikes, They had huge smiles on their faces, just lovin life, and so we got to talking. It was getting hot and they mentioned that they were going to peel off a layer of their already scanty apparel. They asked me to go get my bike and come along. I explained about work, thanked them and shrugged my shoulders admitting that I have made a commitment to ATT GAT. They were funny and cool when they labled me a beemer rider, and we spent the next few minutes talking about the various negative impressions that our respective tribes have of one another. One of the riders never owned a beemer but had a hundred thousand miles on every bike he ever rode, and his wife had more! Talk about love of the machine and the freedom of the road! The other guy, also very experienced, said I didn't seem like a snob and I snapped Hey! Cut that out! Life's too short! and we all laughed.

I loved hanging out with those guys and I would have enjoyed a ride if I had my bike with me. I admit to the diplomat's disease when I close this by saying, hey, it's beautiful when we all can just get along.

So show me these rude guys from Michigan. Back when my dad rode in the Jack Pine rally they were importing Europeans to teach us yanks how to ride hard--and some of those old timers just figured it out for themselves. We've all been trading money wrenches sicne the beginning. This BS has got to stop.

A friend invited me to attend a Harley cancer ride benefit. Okay, I avoided the ride but attended the pig roast. Parking lot full of Harley's and I pull in late in full gear to a few stares. They had a small best bike show and I parked at the far end of the line up of bikes. I glanced over to see 3 guys checking out my bike, pointing at this or that, discussing my F650. Okay...no one said boo to me. Met up with my friend and her date and enjoyed the afternoon.

Now....don't get me started on the apparel! :bolt

why do you hate assless chaps? :ha
This chap right here has a big one.
:wave
:ha

It is great to talk about getting along, but I live near Milwaukee, where even people without bikes will mock you for not riding a HD. It gets as old as the other stereotyping, trust me.

This chap right here has a big one.
:wave
:ha

It is great to talk about getting along, but I live near Milwaukee, where even people without bikes will mock you for not riding a HD. It gets as old as the other stereotyping, trust me.

Amen on that!

Living less than an hour north of 'Brew City,' I too endure an inquisition whenever I stop for fuel or food - "How come you didn't buy a Harley?!"

I mention that as a Motor Officer, I put on more miles per season on a RoadKing than the average Harley rider did in three years of ownership - ergo, seven years of motor duty on H-D's totaled up to the equivilent of 21 years of privately-owned mileage on 'Milwaukee Iron' ............ more than enough to send me shopping for a BMW when I retired. :banghead

Last edited:
Most Harley riders will initiate a wave to me and most Harley riders will wave back when I initiate a wave. But I have had some Harley riders turn their heads away when I wave at them, like how dare I even wave at them.

It's not the bike waving. It's the rider.
I've had every brand wave and not wave. I really don't care. It's over in a second anyway.

As for the original post... Look at the bright side... They saved ya a few bucks.

Now go ride whatever that thing is 'we' call a bike.

Funny thing is that the attitude thing may be site-specific. I teach Riders Edge classes for the local Harley dealership, and catch a lot of good natured ribbing about my cylinders overheated and flopped out sideways. We have 12 active instructors and only one owns a Harley. We span crotch rockets to BMW cruisers, to at least one big yellow Goldwing who thinks it is a BMW (see photo below!).

The dealership owner always makes it a point that his bike parking is labeled "Motorcycles Only " and not 'Harleys Only ", and welcomes all riders on anything with two or three wheels.

SkipBMW-025.jpg

SkipBMW-026.jpg

you MY BOY,. ARE THE TYPE OF PPL WE JUST DON'T NEED AT OUR EVENT ANYWAY... SO PARK WHATEVER THAT THING IS U CALL A BIKE IN THE GARAGE AND LEAVE THE BIKING TO US

What biking? Riders who cruise Interstates? Who park in parking lots and kick tires? :laugh

This coming from a group of riders who have motorcycles I see on the back of trailers either because they are broken down or too uncomfortable to ride. :laugh

Wow, I'm so sorry I couldn't make it to their event to just stand around. Motorcycling to me is about seeing places and riding, not socializing...I can get the latter at the mall.

Last edited:
Back