• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Your Mileage for 2004 ?

Recognition

manic mechanic said:
While we're speaking of the miles/sMiles we've done this year, and savored the satisfaction of achieving the various 100K levels, let us not forget another brand that recognizes long-distance efforts. However, that brand begins awards with 10K. Is there something missing here? Why the difference? Hmm?

I understand that the purpose behind the Mileage Contest and Mileage awards is to recognize and support the membership who get out and ride. The important thing is to just get out and enjoy your motorcycle..

HOG is a Corporate sponsored and supported organization of I believe over 1million members. It cost more to recognize the membership every 10,000 miles than to do it every 100,000 miles but apparently HOG has the resources to do that.

I have heard many make fun of Harley riders and mistakenly believe that they don't ride long distances. When you have a chance go to the IBA web site and look at the brand of bike that many of the long distance riders are riding.

I think it's great that Harley recognizes and supports their members with awards every 10,000 miles.

I believe that many MOA members who only ride a few thousand miles each year really appreciate seeing their names in ON.

As Voni has said before it's not how many miles but how many sMiles you accumulate.

That all being said I'm personally very curious to know who the top three finishers were in the MOA Mileage Contest. Karol if you are listening lets hear from you. :wave

I guess the point I was trying to make, with tongue somewhat firmly in cheek, goes back to a weekend trip I did this past summer. DaWif and I were traveling in the company of my hunting buddy and his wife on a Wing, and three other guys, each on HD dressers. Of course, replete with all the bells, whistles, and pipes. My bike was the R90/6, 1976 vintage, rated at 60HP back when, and two-up. We all were traveling on some nice, curvy, northern Wisconsin roads, including Hwy 55 north out of Keshena (Mark11LT, does it ring a bell?). This particular road is nice, curvy without being severe, 55mph limit, mostly wooded and along a river. However, we were only able to average 40-45mph, because the three dressers kept dragging parts in the curves. Their leather jackets appeared to weigh about 40lbs each, what with all the pins on them (year pins, 10K mileage, etc.). There were places where I led and literally ran away from them, then had to slow down and wait for them to catch up. I guess whatever makes a person happy, it's not what, but that you ride. Maybe I just don't "get it."

manic mechanic said:
I guess whatever makes a person happy, it's not what, but that you ride. Maybe I just don't "get it."

Manic-

I never thought you were dissin' the HD crowd, I just think that at times we need to remember that for some riders of any marquee, 10K is a big milestone. And I agree with you, I don't get it either. But hey everyone's idea of fun is different.

BradfordBenn said:
I never thought you were dissin' the HD crowd, I just think that at times we need to remember that for some riders of any marquee, 10K is a big milestone. And I agree with you, I don't get it either. But hey everyone's idea of fun is different.

Any marque, Brad? Just look at the number of views on this post alone and compare it to the rest of the page. Apparently, BMW riders seem to think riding some distance is an incredible feat.

What is it about mileage that riders think it is some kind of accomplishment, even for a novice? Are motorcycles that uncomfortable or difficult to ride that it is a challenge? Forget the miles. Show me where you've been.

Mileage seems to be the center of the universe for motorcyclists. I'm really starting to wonder at times. :dunno

Global Rider said:
Mileage seems to be the center of the universe for motorcyclists. I'm really starting to wonder at times. :dunno

It's like I said earlier, I would rather ride 5 miles of sMiles than 1,000 miles of frowns.

I think the reason mileage is the measuring stick is because it is something that is a universal measurement no matter what you ride. It eliminates speed, road conditions, rider comfort... etc. A mile is a mile no matter how you measure it. Well there is that statute versus nautical mile... but you get the idea. :thumb

THe only reason I ever feel bad about my mileage is when it stays the same for a long time, cause that means I haven't been riding.

Well, I'll echo a sentiment found in some of the preceding messages. Quality versus quantity. I know senior managers where I work who simply have travel demands, often international, getting in the way of any kind of mileage quantity. They return home and are swamped with family and civic responsibilities. They may get their Harley out once or twice a month, max. Maybe a Sunday afternoon putt with their wife. See them the following Monday and see the biggest grin you ever saw because they found two hours free to enjoy a 50 mile ride. This is cool if you ask me.

I couldn't agree more with sfarson. Every moment I spend in the saddle is pure joy.

BradfordBenn said:
I think the reason mileage is the measuring stick is because it is something that is a universal measurement no matter what you ride. It eliminates speed, road conditions, rider comfort... etc. A mile is a mile no matter how you measure it. :thumb

Sorry Brad, I still don't get it. A measuring stick of what?

I know my R100 GS is far more comfortable than the XT 350 I took to the EAA Convention in Oshkosh; one day versus two to make it.

But that isn't why riders talk about miles. Very rarely do you see "my bike is so comfortable I can ride a grand in a day". The "I rode xxx miles this year" doesn't tell me damn thing. In my mind, OK, fine, so what can you tell me?

I don't see the mileage threads being any different from the "how wide are your chicken strips", or "how much are your knee sliders worn", or "do you ride in the rain" threads. All the same type of questions with the same purpose. Guess its an ego thing.

Now check these two posts out that I came across on two other forums. I really don't care how many miles these riders rode and neither would it tell me much, but those are "some" trips they've experienced and shared with the viewers. No doubt their odometers turned over as well...a by product.

What dreams are made of...

Alpine Off-Road Adventure

Coastal Roads Hall of Fame

John C. Ryan said:
The definition of quality will differ for everyone. I love fighting traffic in and around New York...

I took my car from my hotel in Newark to JFK late Friday afternoon...Lincoln Tunnel, Manhatten, Midtown Tunnel, LI Expressway...JFK.

Mistake...big mistake and my car has A/C. I'd hate to do that on my bike because it wouldn't be much fun...the opposite end of the spectrum of riding the Dolomites (or where ever you've been that is magical). Next time I visit NYC, I'll fly in, take the subway and walk.

Global Rider said:
Sorry Brad, I still don't get it. A measuring stick of what?

You know Alex, you are right. It realy doesn't tell anything.

But at least it is a consistent non informational unit

well, i bought the bike on may 1st and aside from crashing into the back of my car on a cb 350 when i was 16, had never rode before

did 6000 miles by september
and another 5890 on my trip

so, just about 12K my first year give or take

Last edited:
manic mechanic said:
I guess the point I was trying to make, with tongue somewhat firmly in cheek, goes back to a weekend trip I did this past summer... There were places where I led and literally ran away from them, then had to slow down and wait for them to catch up. I guess whatever makes a person happy, it's not what, but that you ride. Maybe I just don't "get it."

I am reminded of Shaw's Law #1: The optimum size of any group ride is one. ;)

On the subject...

This year was a good year. After a year pretty much off the bike for reasons best described as medical malpractice, this year I climbed back on. Some nice places too. Bike Week in Daytona Beach, and a week in the Keys with the Pirates; about 2600 miles on the back roads of MX; a jaunt up to Houston, AK for the Last Frontier Rally; Spokane for the MOA party; VT and ME to see the East; the BMW RAin rally; and a ride down to Big Easy for a weekend. Almost no local riding, except when Boxergrrlie rode down and we went on a pie hunt in OH Amish country - more calories than miles.

About 30,000 or a little more in 2004. A good year. And to think, I bought a convertible in May. :bikes

In '04 I rode about 24K kilometers, which is approximately 15K miles. I don't ride for the daily commute, but do try at least one longer ride (Ottawa to Utah in '04) each year. I'm getting cabin fever waiting for the snow to go! I'm contemplating a far north ride in '05.......

Back