• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Metzeler Roadtec Z6 vs Z6 Roadtec Interact

drubery

Western NY Rider
I'm looking at new tires for my 07' K1200GT and hear the Interact is an improvement on the straight Roadtec Z6. Has anyone researched this new Interact tire? Metzeler claims better wear with the Interact, but at what expense? Traction? Cornering? Supposedly it is still a single compound tire. I do know the front would have to be a "G" and the rear a"C", rather than the "K" and "C" designations for the standard Roadtec Z6.

Thanks for your feedback.

-Dennis

I had Z6 as original OEM.

They are an ok tire (for me) they do nothing specially well), I just recently changed tires and went back to the tried and true Pilot Road 2's and they are awesome.

I had them on my RT and worked great on that also.

YMMV :lurk

I've had both the original Z6's and the Interact. I did not feel the Interact offered any noticeable improvement over the original besides possibly a longer wear on the center portion of the tire. But that's difficult to say for certain. What I surely did notice was the Interact was squirrely in handling over tar snakes and somewhat less than confidence inspiring on wet pavement. I switched to Michelin PR2s and have been very happy so far.

I've been using Pilot Roads on both the RT and the GT and find them superior to the Z6s. I've found that they are much better in the rain, very important in Florida, and also seem to last obout 20% longer. No more Metzelers for me.

Holy crap!

Picked up my GT today with the new Interacts (G spec in front and C spec on rear), $649!!!

$201.95 for the front and $266.95 for the rear! "The factory spec tires are more, that's why we don't sell them. But we put on what people want." I was told when I was rung up.

I spoke with Metzeler before committing to these as the dealer was going to put regular Z6 Roadtecs on the bike. I knew for that model tire the only spec that was certified was the K & C. It's my understanding that these designations are to accommodate the weight and loads generated by the bike. When I dropped the GT off I asked about the spec of the Z6s they were putting on and that is not what the dealer was going to put on. I had read a forum post where a rider on a long distance tour had his tires changed and ran into balance issues with his front tire. He had everything checked only to discover the dealer sold him standard Z6. Well fortunately that dealer refunded the cost of the front tire even though they were half way across the country.

I wanted to be sure I did not suffer the same fate. So I called Metezler and verified for the Roadtecs that I needed a C (front) & K (rear). Called the dealer and they indicated on a callback they could not get the Roadtecs, but could get the Interacts in the G (front) & C (rear). They did not tell me that they cost a lot more, nor did they tell me in their experience they were unnecessary (They waited until I was rung up to tell me that opinion).

I need to call some Metezler dealers to see what they are getting for the BMW Spec tires, but the premium seems a bit rich. Anyone with a similar experience? Opinions on the Spec versus standard sidewall Z6 Roadtec and Interacts?

If I decide to go with the Pilots next time around is there a special spec tire for the GT?

I'd love to hear form you if you've recently had your dealer put these very same tires on. I'm not saying I've been taken, but the bill was more than I expected.

Thanks,

-Dennis

I was told once that the spec tires by Metzeler were made with minor adjustments having to do with max speed, etc.
I never heard of an issue with not using them instead of the standard version.
I kind of don't like the Z6. I am using Avon Storms now on the K12Ses and they seem fine in all respects.

Back