• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

nube question

C

CEXPilot

Just started riding a 04 r1150rt coming from a stop light to stop light Harley. I was curious how long it takes or how many miles before your backside, shoulders ect ect...get use to the longer distances. The bike is totally stock and before I start playing with bike add on's, I was looking for some rider advise. I know at times I am hanging on to tight and try to relax my posture, but after an hour or so I start getting a sharp burning sensation in the middle of my shoulder blades. I suck it up now because of the Nube factor...hoping it will get better as I ride more. Any thoughts?

Comfort on a bike can be elusive.

Riding style on an RT verses a Harly is totally different and it will take time. How much is an unknown but it will take some miles.

I don't know if you're every riden a horse but the way you use your knees and hips on a horse is very similar to the posture you'd use on most of the BMW bikes we are talking about.

If you squeeze the gas tank with your knees and bend at the hips not at the waist you'll find that this will take weight off of your arms on the grips and make it much more comfortable to ride.

Others will no doubt come along with other thoughts.

So many things factor in. Size, age, physical condition, etc. On my 04 R-11r0-RT, The only changes I made to the bike was a larger wind screen, Wrist wrest on both left and right side, a throttle lock which I hardly ever use, and seat beads which I only use on longer trips. I do some light stretching while riding, maybe once an hour. oh, and I installed a set of highway pegs, which I do not use to often, but nice to have when needed. Hope this helps.

Welcome aboard. If you haven't found it already another site you should be aware of: bmwsporttouring.com.

I ride an O3R1150Rt and one of the things I found most helpful is being mindful of riding position. on the site I mention above do a search for : Master Yoda Riding Position. Try that before spending money. If you don't find that helps, then the first item I'd steer you for the issue you mention is bar backs. That is what helped me.

I started riding again early this year after an extended break, I bought a K75RT with comfort seat, somewhat similar to your ride. My first long ride my hips and shoulders were aching after 150 miles. I've put about 3,000 miles on the bike so far and it has gotten easier with each fill up - especially after I remembered some of my 900+ mile day tricks.
- every time I go under a bridge I stretch out my hands and rotate my shoulders.
- every time I go over a bridge I kick out my legs one at a time and rotate the ankle.
- every hundred mile mark I stretch my back (front/rear/side to side) and rotate my waist to stretch my hips.
- every time I stop for gas I drink a bottle of water.

Seems like a lot to remember but if you get in the habit of doing these it becomes second nature and you'll find yourself doing them without even thinking of it. And the big benefit is it takes a lot longer to get sore, sometimes not at all :)

- every time I go under a bridge I stretch out my hands and rotate my shoulders.
- every time I go over a bridge I kick out my legs one at a time and rotate the ankle.
- every hundred mile mark I stretch my back (front/rear/side to side) and rotate my waist to stretch my hips.
- every time I stop for gas I drink a bottle of water.
:)

That's some great advice!!! I thought I was the only
anal-retentive-OCD-must-repeat-my-actions-to-be-consistently-comfortable
kind of guy. Thank god there are others.
:wave

- everytime I pass a truck - open my jaw, take a deep breath, flex my ankles.
- everytime i gas up, kick the tires, inspect the bike.

(Yes I know, - CDO - , alphabetically correct, as it should be...LOL)

Stretch, and be aware of your ergos. Having pegs underneath you rather than far forward in cruising style gives you some advantages. When coming into a reduced speed zone I often stand on the pegs and give my legs a stretch. Sometimes I even do toe curls to stretch out the calves. (If I ever get pulled for this as some riders in other states have, my excuse will be that I hit a rough patch and was looking for more.)

I have a throttle lock and my most common use for it isn't for LONG, BORING transits, but rather to free up my right hand and arm so I can stretch while riding.

I get the same pain in the back

I have experienced the same pain in the back, usually after an hour or more in traffic, feels like a nail between the shoulder blades. I have found that streching before extended rides helps some, along with some sort of regular stretch/ wiggle/ bend exercises on the bike. Highway pegs provide a nice relief/ change in position, but I am wondering where to put them on the GS I just bought? If it's going to be a long trip I will "premedecate" with either Ibuprophen or Naproxen, a trick I learned from my days carrying a rifle and rucksack for Uncle Sugar.

Marcus
2000 R1150GS
2002 KLR650

Bar risers helped my shoulder pains. 1" up and 1.25" back worked wonders in comfort department :clap

As has been said, be aware of your riding position. I've had 3 RTs and still sometimes find myself leaning on the handlebars that causes me pain. It's partly a matter of adjusting your riding position.

You'lll neeeeeeddd tttoooo rrrreeeppplllaaacccsustitute ttthhhheeeee vvvvibbrrraasssssionnnnshaking.... Go buy yourself professional vibrator... or...:bottle:bottle:bottle after riding of course.:deal

Sitting on a cruiser bike is quite a bit different than an RT. And as others have posted, it may take you some time to adjust. Just like someone used to sitting upright must adjust to sitting in the cruiser position.

You seem to already be figuring out that you really do not have to grip the bars tightly, and you should try not to rely so mush on your arms to hold you up. In other words, don't lean so far forward. If you feel that you must, then maybe a set of bar backs would help you, or maybe just raising the bars will help.

I like the idea of doing some moving around around on the bike while riding. And I too have been known to stand upright on the pegs for a few miles, especially during a many hundred mile long day. Last year, in New Mexico, I must of stood for about half-hour while running along around 60 - 65. But I have a GS Adventure do it may be more easy to do that with it than your RT.

I have also found that my butt gets sore. Well, to be honest, everyone's butt gets sore. But I'm so short that I have an extra low seat of of the low-suspension R model. So not much cushion there. so after about 125 miles, I take a break and drink some water or whatever. Usually by the time I have about 350 miles under my belt, the soreness goes away. Then I can ride the rest of th day with no sore or numb butt. Never have figured that out.

Also, watch your posture as you ride. And if your back hurts, maybe try a adding some back support.

In the end, just ride. You'll adjust over time. And remember, if you get too tired, pullover and take a break or call it a day. You must stay alert all the time.

I ride an Airhead RS--very unique, forward leaning riding position.

I recently had the opportunity to fly to Washington state and ferry an R1100RT back to Albuquerque. VERY different, upright riding postion.

On this ride EVERYTHING hurt on me that hurts riding the RS. Same parts, same way.

Moral: it's YOU, not the bike.

If you painted houses every day, it wouldn't hurt like it does when you paint yours every decade or so.

I've found that on week long rides, the hurting goes away on the 2nd-3rd day.

LOTS of money spent thinking it's a bike problem rather than a rider problem.

Save those stock seats, because when you sell your bike I don't want your Corbin.

Ever heard the joke ... woman and man both try on a pair of pants that don't fit very well. Woman's reaction is, I need to lose some weight. Man's reaction is there's something wrong with the pants. We all know, don't we, that women always see things "smarter."

I will be 60 in a few months and started riding a motorcycle a year ago after
not riding for over 30 years. It took me almost 1,500 miles of riding before I
was really able to start to relax and enjoy myself. I was tensed up and sometimes
wondered if I should be riding again. Some of the adjustments you have to make
are not physical, they are learning to relax and ride within your limits, not what
someone else is doing.

Practice, Practice.

I'm with Kent!!!

I came back to riding September 09, did 1500 miles, then May 10 another 2600 and now just completed 1200. With each segment I became more comfortable.
Most of this on two different bikes.

I jumped on my 75/7 today and it felt like "old shoes".. Drove by my house and didn't even realise it.. so much fun.

Jim Dahl
Ketchikan, AK

I've noticed through reading these forums that there's just not a one-size-fits-all formula for comfort. I, for example, like my RT's hard, firm seat, while that very model of seat is a constant complaint for others. I think that there are just too many body types, ages, musculoskeletal variations and personal idiosyncrasies to provide much useful information on whether or not you'll become more comfortable on your new bike.

That said, tensing up and hanging onto the handlebars like a pair of Vice Grips with will result in muscle fatigue and pain, not only in your arms, but in your upper back. A too-tense posture will ultimately do much the same to whatever muscles that you're unnecessarily keeping tightened up. It's easier said than done, but just relax a bit and enjoy the ride ÔÇö it's actually safer that way, anyway.

One more suggestion: stop more often, get off the dang bike, and move around a bit. Get a hamburger or a drink. Get off your bike when you gas up, and actually head into the station to pay. Stop to take some photo. Get off your bike to read the roadside plaques and monuments. Instead of iron butt endurance riding being the goal, get off and smell the roses more often.

Back