• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorrad Sales UP - bucking worldwide trends

deilenberger

A bozo on the bus
From the latest press release from BMW (which 'splained the car side did OK too..)

BMWPress said:
In the first half-year of 2010, BMW Motorrad sold 57,015 (prev. yr. 46,972) vehicles. This represents a retail growth of 21.4 % from the first half of 2009. The positive global trend for BMW Motorrad continued in June. Despite the negative trend on the global motorcycle markets, BMW Motorrad was able to sell more motorcycles year-on-year for the sixth consecutive month. In June, a total of 11,584 (prev. yr. 9,402 / +23.2%) vehicles were delivered to customers. The bestseller list was topped by the large long-distance enduro, the R 1200 GS, which is the worldÔÇÖs best-selling motorcycle in the segment for large capacity bikes in the 500 cc plus class. In the year to the end of June, no less than 6,459 (in June 1,223) units of the S 1000 RR, BMW MotorradÔÇÖs first supersport motorcycle, were delivered to customers worldwide ÔÇô earning it second place in the supersport segment among the 1000 cc class sport bikes.

At a technology day to present BMWÔÇÖs first in-line six-cylinder motorcycle engine in early July, the business unit provided a first glimpse of its next product offensive. In the future, the engine will power two luxurious new BMW touring bikes, the K 1600 GT and the K 1600 GTL, which will be presented to the public in autumn 2010. Both models will be distinguished by their innovative technology, superior engine smoothness and state-of-the-art fuel consumption.

It appears BMW's agressive push to do conquest sales must be working, since I would make a WAG that more then 50% of the S1000RR sales are new to BMW. Considering other manufacturers didn't even try to sell 2010 bikes (Suzuki) a growth of 21.4% over the prior (admittedly not good) year is pretty outstanding.

"State of the art fuel consumption"

:huh

LOL
I was wondering the same thing.... kinda like.. Iz that thang a deesel? (spelling overdone.. PLease bubba let me off this one...)
you mean this thing is going to be the M Series BMW for Motorcycles?
Sweeeet

LOL
I was wondering the same thing.... kinda like.. Iz that thang a deesel? (spelling overdone.. PLease bubba let me off this one...)
you mean this thing is going to be the M Series BMW for Motorcycles?
Sweeeet

Actually, if they could stuff the 3.0L turbodiesel into that frame I would be a very happy camper. My X5 35d absolutely is a wolf in sheep's clothing. To say that thing is a 5000 lb machine, it does not drive or act like one. Crisp handling and oh the acceleration, plus 30mpg at 75mph !! :clap

Thanks BMW Engineering for great bikes and cars :D

Just to give a bit of world prospective the European bike market has shown a decline of 7% in registrations for the first half of the year according to a recent news letter form the European association of MC manufacturers (their alphabet soup letters escape me right now). Europe normally consumes well over 70% of BMWÔÇÖs production.

The Japanese have been showing an increase in their numbers too. The May figures show a turn around trend on what has been a 3 year race to zero for them.

Sorry ka5ysy, BMW has said they will not be doing diesel bikes.

with the RR, BMW has the right bike at the right time.

now, too bad they didn't make enough to meet demand. :burnout

ian

with the RR, BMW has the right bike at the right time.

now, too bad they didn't make enough to meet demand. :burnout

ian

A case of leaving them wanting more?

I would have hated to be the guy that set the final RR production number for this year. When they announced the RR the world superbike market was about 125,000 units a year and slowly growing. When they finally hit the market that number was down to ~85,000 units and falling.

A case of leaving them wanting more?

I would have hated to be the guy that set the final RR production number for this year. When they announced the RR the world superbike market was about 125,000 units a year and slowly growing. When they finally hit the market that number was down to ~85,000 units and falling.

I think this is likely correct - better to have demand for bikes then ones sitting in a warehouse getting old.. especially when the bike is likely a low-profit "conquest" bike like the S1000RR.. they are better off allocating production time for bikes that sell quickly (GS's for instance) and make them money (GS's for instance..) and keep the low profit models in demand.

Back