• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Seat suggestions

T

tornado

I am looking for a more comfortable seat for longer rides on my 2009 K1300S. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Weeks of Seat Research

There are two great threads already on this forum and several more in other forums. I just spent several weeks researching, reading and even interviewing both Mayer brothers. Bottom line, a custom seat is the way to go and you will find fans of both Mayers, Russel, Rick's, etc. etc. Corbin and Sargents have many followers as well, provided you have the right butt to fit standard seats.

My major conclusion is that a drive-in fitting with either Mayer brother or Russell has produced many happy riders - if you happen to be in the vicinity and you don't mind an occasional adjustment if needed. Unfortunately, if you have to ship your seat, it could be a couple weeks before you are riding again - then if you had to do adjustments - you would be out more riding time. Forget trying to get a temporary used seat at the Boneyard -- many are looking.

My final decision is to order from Russell -- a vinyl seat with leather top --in the off season. I think the Russell seat looks less appealing than others in that it has a "wing" shape that is not in keeping with the K-bike lines, but after 500 miles, comfort is a beautiful thing.

To get us through this season, we got two Air Hawk cushions that work very well. Medium for me and small for her. I might have gotten a size larger for her (Jeez, I hope she does not read this post).

Thanks for the input. I am ordering one from Sargent after talking to a few owners who are very satisfied with price, service, and comfort.

Sargent seat

Let us know how that seat works out for you, I'm thinking about going the same route myself.

I cured my 1200GT seat problem with a $20 Walmart auto gel seat cover(actually not really gel inside but a rubbery honeycomb) under an Alaska Leather sheepskin. The faux gel seat cover fits good with the smaller zippered end towards the tank. I cut the zipper out so it wouldn't scratch.

Seat suggestion

Two ideas for you. You can take a 2 x 4 and drive some long nails thru it and mount that in place of the stock BMW seat; or as already suggested - an aftermarket seat! I have a Russell which I love. Either of these ideas will be an improvement over the stock seat.

Ordered through A&S BMW, it's made by Bagster but offered through Verholen. It's lots mo' betta than stock:
seat001.jpg

A close up shot:
seat002.jpg

Back