• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200R: what tank bag/side cases do you have?

nytrashman

i am thinking of getting a new R1200R and was wondering what everyone is using for a tank bag as well as what side cases you have. a new R1200R with the BMW touring package includes the BMW side cases but i don't know much about them. whats there capacity, are they durable or are they prone to problems. i would set the bike up as follows:

parabellum scout fairing
R1200GS handlebars
GS hand-guards
some type of bar riders/bar backs as i prefer a more upright riding position
either the BMW side cases of some other type based on recommendations here
Givi or perhaps a Coocase top box
some type of tank bag would be needed

i am coming from a F650GS, which i would keep, but want something a little better/smoother for extended trips on the highway. i am also hoping with the scout fairing it will offer better wind protection they i currently get on my little GS.

i would be purchasing a new 2010 R1200R with the factory low suspension/low seat option. i am also considering a finding a used R850R/R1100R and then lowering it myself. any advice/opinions of going this route as opposed to a new, factory lowered bike.

i am thinking of getting a new R1200R and was wondering what everyone is using for a tank bag as well as what side cases you have. a new R1200R with the BMW touring package includes the BMW side cases but i don't know much about them. whats there capacity, are they durable or are they prone to problems. i would set the bike up as follows:

parabellum scout fairing
R1200GS handlebars
GS hand-guards

I am coming from a F650GS, which i would keep, but want something a little better/smoother for extended trips on the highway. i am also hoping with the scout fairing it will offer better wind protection they i currently get on my little GS.

i would be purchasing a new 2010 R1200R with the factory low suspension/low seat option. i am also considering a finding a used R850R/R1100R and then lowering it myself. any advice/opinions of going this route as opposed to a new, factory lowered bike.

My wife made the jump from a F650GS to the R this year. She also is keeping the 650; I doubt she'll ever give it up because she loves it too much. Her's is factory lowered. She uses the same Wolfman tankbag on the R as on the 650. We just bought a second set of straps and she can easily move the bag from bike to bike. It fits the R very well and makes it easier by not having to move items from one bag to another. By the way, the BMW soft tail-bag made for the 650 fits the R better than it does the GS; it is a great piece of kit.

She has the Scout fairing, GS hand protectors (there is a how to do it post on the hexhead forum that provides a parts list and step-by-step procedure for mounting them), Verholen bar-backs from A&S and a Suburban peg lowering kit.

She got the BMW cases as a promo when she bought the bike. They are good quality, on the heavy side and easy to remove and mount. Annie really prefers top loading luggage so we are looking at the Hepco-Becker Gobi or SW Mototech Trax. The Gobi's appear a bit more durable. Those are the only top loaders available for the R that I know of.

Hope this helps.

P5080007.jpg

thank you very much as that is exactly the type of input i was looking for. when fueling up her R does she remove the tank bag completely or just two of the straps and flop it over to access the fuel door?

If you end up getting a new bike, I would suggest the OEM side cases. They can be keyed to the bike and are easily removed and you are not left with any unsightly racks underneath.

I have the Marsee Ciao Borsa tank bag with the Corona mounting plate. Very easy to mount and dismount for access to the fuel port.

R1200R Side Cases and Tank Bag

I have the BMW side cases and would recommend them. The ones for the R1200R are not painted like those on the RT. You need to watch out for scuffs when you swing your leg over the bike. I would also recommend the Cee Bailey nylon bags that fit inside the hard cases. They make things easier to pack and you don't have to take the side cases off the bike when you check into the motel.

I have a small MotoFizz Through tank bag. It holds very well on the steel tank with four strong magnets on each corner. It is on the small side as tank bags go, but has plenty of neat compartments that zip open. It is also easy to remove for filling the gas tank and it has a handle for carrying around, off the bike. No straps needed. Aerostich has them for $80.

parabellum scout fairing
R1200GS handlebars
?? Any reason why? The R12R bars are wide already.. and I believe the GS bars might require quite a bit of work since IIRC - they are a tapered diameter (the R12R bars are a single diameter.)
GS hand-guards
Have you test ridden the R12R? The stock seating position is fairly upright, but not bolt upright (which I find hard on my back..)
Go with the BMW bags. Pricey but worth it IMHO. I always have mine on the bike. Besides offering some crash protection (from leg injury in a T-bone), they are just plain handy. I can fit a full Aerostich Roadcrafter in one, and a full-face helmet in the other. (They also will fit a 12 pack of beverages per side.. just in case..)
I have an RKA - I believe mine is the 19L one.. fit is good and it's secure on the bike and holds a lot of junk.
i am coming from a F650GS, which i would keep, but want something a little better/smoother for extended trips on the highway. i am also hoping with the scout fairing it will offer better wind protection they i currently get on my little GS.

Buy the new bike. The difference between an R1100R and an R1200R is a full generation of better. There is no comparison except they're both "Roadsters".. (more power, less weight, better handling, better shifting, MUCH better engine management, etc. on the R1200R.)

BTW - I'll make a prediction - within a month of owning the R12R the F650GS will be for sale unless you use it for extensive off-road use.. The Roadster is that good that you won't want to ride the old bike.

I have the factory-lowered R1200R and the BMW side cases and top case. The side cases are very durable and can handle alot of abuse (DAMHIK). They're enormous, larger than the BMW cases on my previous R1150R. I use the Nelson Rigg "mini" magnetic tank bag; just the right size, not small despite its name. Magnets are strong enough that I can flop it over to the high side of the bike when I fuel up. I opted for the Ztechnik windscreen and went with the taller of the two sizes. I tried the shorter one, but had lots of head buffeting and noise, so the dealer swapped it out. Even though I'm a shortie and it's the taller screen, I still look over it, not through it, and it gives excellent wind and weather protection.

thanks for all the relies, it appears a new R1200R is in my future. what the future holds for my little 650GS is uncertain as it may end up for sale.

thanks again
George

In case you haven't already picked-up on it.... Don is not just a guy who drank the 1200R Koolade; he's the guy who pinches your nose and pours it down your throat. ;)

Actually your championing of the R was an important aspect of our decision to go with one for Annie. and why I have my eye on an 09 R sitting on the showroom floor of Trails End.

Back