• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

squeal

Y

yappo

:wavei posted this almost 2 years ago.the response was tepid.i know,i should have done more about it but hell,the front brake works great and so i ride knowing not to use the rear brake.the bike;1971 R60/5.when i got her she was a solo bike and came with the squeel.i ignored the noise and proceeded to make her into a 900cc.i then added a ural car and have been riding these last 2 years with the hack.she has the SWB.she also has a subframe for the car.i've taken off the rear wheel and looked at the brake and it's lining and components.all look ok.all fluids are up but there is an additional abnormality besides the squeel,which is, the rear wheel is not centered below the fender.it is way off to the left.the demonic squeel occurs in all 4 gears when downshifting and applying rear brake.the squeel is a real headturner at crosswalks and an invitation for comments from harley riders.

Note: for future reference and searches, squeel is synonymous with squeal. Brake squeal.

You say that the squeal is heard when downshifting. Are you using the rear brake when downshifting, or does the squeal happen independently of the brake?

Clutch throw-out? Mal-adjusted or worn out brake shoes? Something worse?

You say that the squeal is heard when downshifting. Are you using the rear brake when downshifting, or does the squeal happen independently of the brake?

yes, the squeal is only heard when applying the rear brake.thanks for your interest and also asking for additional info.

Clutch throw-out? Mal-adjusted or worn out brake shoes? Something worse?

clutch is good,as is throw out bearing.when i apply the rear brake,the action is normal and the braking action is fine.except for the very audible squeal.

yes, the squeal is only heard when applying the rear brake.thanks for your interest and also asking for additional info.

okay, well that now sounds like the question is "what is causing this horrendous brake noise?, and that downshifting really has nothing to do with it.
correct?
interweb diagnosis is much easier if you get to the heart of the matter, and toss out the extraneous noise.

when was the last time the brake shoes were changed out?
have you tried roughing them up with some emory paper?
same thing for the inner drum area?
i'd start there. these are pretty simple beasts, and there's not a lot there that is going to cause brake noise like you describe.

Rear wheel bearing and race.

And hope that you haven't spun the race in the hub... You may want to familiarize yourself with Duane Ausherman's Wheel Bearing article; "Checking the spacing of the /5 and the /2; the "shake the wheel test".

the rear wheel is not centered below the fender.it is way off to the left.

But I think this may be more indicative of something amiss.

Remove the rear wheel and make sure that the Axle Reducer (15) is inserted from the left side (it will go either way), and that the Compression Ring (14) is also on the left side (or even there at all ). It is not unheard of for the Compression Ring to have ended up on the shop floor during a wheel change, and not have been replaced.

You don't mention how "way off to the left" the wheel is, but between the Axle Reducer being inserted from the wrong side, and/or an absence of a Compression Ring, there isn't much to keep the wheel from walking back and forth across the axle.

That will be $.02 please.

RearWheelAssy.jpg

Back