• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ipod problems

arsprod

I finally broke down and got a RAM mount for my ipod. I've been carrying it in my tanks bag which works but I like the convenience of being able to operate it easily while ridng. But, now it locks up after about 20 minutes and I'm continually resetting it. My guess is the vibration is messing with the hard drive. I know this is supposed to work... isn't it? Anyone else have this problem and better yet, a solution?

I finally broke down and got a RAM mount for my ipod. I've been carrying it in my tanks bag which works but I like the convenience of being able to operate it easily while ridng. But, now it locks up after about 20 minutes and I'm continually resetting it. My guess is the vibration is messing with the hard drive. I know this is supposed to work... isn't it? Anyone else have this problem and better yet, a solution?

Does it lock up after 20 minutes of riding when it's not in the RAM mount?

Easy :german

Check to make sure you have the latest software update. I wonder if Apple support has any advice?

Good luck and let us know what you learn.

Easy :german

Why dont you get the Ijet a remote control device. Its was made for the I-pod and work very good.

Roc-Roc

I have the iJET, works great to forward through a song & or turn up or down the sound. I used some super velcro to stick it to the clutch fluid cover. I kind of wanted the iPod to be where I could see it, but then again, I don't...

Get one without a hard drive, or find a place for the mount that get less vibration.

Is it the same bump in the road that stops it?

ijet! Wish I'd thought of that first - cost the same as what I spent on the RAM mount. I did find out some interesting info. The hard drive ipods have a 20 minute buffer, hence my lockup at 20 minutes. I still can't (or don't want) believe I'm the only who's had this problem.

Check out the Scosche unit before pulling the trigger on the iJet. Works great across all generations of iPods and the pick up unit allows you to charge your iPod at the same time. I'd do a Google search for best price, however RiderWearhouse carries them http://www.aerostich.com/scosche-ipod-remote.html I own this as well and think it works great even across a large room or outside to adjust my iPod playing through my stereo system.

The Monster iEZClick is a good unit which I currently use on my bike, however I'm told the volume control doesn't work well with some of the newer iPods. I have the 3rd generation iPod so it works flawlessly for me. It's been through heavy rain and still works great. On some iPods when you raise the volume using the iEZClick, it causes your iPod to ramp to full and when you push to lower your volume and it can drop it to zero. Changing songs is no issue. The prices have come way down and here's a link to Amazon selling them: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iEZClick-Remote-Control-Black/dp/B000HVHGI6

I've never mounted an iPod with a hard drive on my bike for that very reason -- I don't think they're designed to be subjected to that kind of continuous vibration. I have always used an Ipod Nano (flash memory) without difficulty.

I use ZEN with 16GB.
You can charge it Via USB. Runs for over 20 hours on one charge.
Holds tons of songs and you can download movies too.
79 bucks at Amazon.com:thumb
Good luck.

You're definately NOT alone! My husband can't use his iPod on the bike. It freezes up even if its in the tank bag. He bought an iPod touch recently, hoping it would be better. Now we have to find a remote for it. We'll check out some of the suggestions here!

I have an old iPod Mini, and it works great on the bike. I use the Griffin AirClick to control it, with the tiny remote attached to the left handlebar with the included velcro strap. Works so well that when my original Ipod disappeared this spring, I bought another on on ebay to replace it.

Last edited:
You're definately NOT alone! My husband can't use his iPod on the bike. It freezes up even if its in the tank bag. He bought an iPod touch recently, hoping it would be better. Now we have to find a remote for it. We'll check out some of the suggestions here!

I have an old iPod Mini, and it works great on the bike. I use the Griffin AirClick to control it, with the tiny remote attached to the left handlebar with the included velcro strap. Works so well that when my original Ipod disappeared this spring, I bought another on on ebay to replace it.

finally, I know I'm not the only one! I like the idea of getting a cheap mp3 player, but I use the ipod in my car and am too lazy to manage content on two devices! I'm going with a remote, so far the Scosche has the nod. Then I can carry the ipod in my jacket or tank bag where it works perfectly! Thanks for everyone's help!!

+1 for the iJet Nav. I just got one at the link for my 3rd gen Nano. It also works with an iPhone 4 even though the iPhone says it won't. It should plug right into a Touch. Right now the remote with the LED is on a BMWRA lanyard. I'll probably connect it to a zipper on my tankbag.

Just to add a wrinkle to this thread, I also recommend the Etymotic ER-6i earphones. They work great and fit nicely inside my Shoei RF-1000 helmet. If you look around, you can find them for ~$75.

Just talked to a friend who uses an iJet Nav for his iphone. I would guess it would work for touch too.

longriderdesign said:
+1 for the iJet Nav.

This is good to know. Thanks. I'm in the big city for a couple of days, so I drifted by the Apple store today to see whether they had something. The young man in the blue shirt said "no." (I also groused a little about Apple not supporting flash. He was unsympathetic.)

It's worth the experiment to try the iJet Nav. I wonder whether there's a brick retail store that would carry it.

Noel
I use some Shure SCL5 earphones.

Back