• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ipod problems

I use ZEN with 16GB.
You can charge it Via USB. Runs for over 20 hours on one charge.
Holds tons of songs and you can download movies too.
79 bucks at Amazon.com:thumb
Good luck.

Thats cool I never thought of watching movies as I ride. Thanks great idea!

Toad

It probably is vibration

I keep mine in the tankbag. It allows the ipod to move more gently than if it is locked in a mount. The ones with hard drives will lock up if too much vibration hits it. As others have said, the iPod Touch and the mini's do not have hard drives, but run on static drives.

I always keep my i-pod in my jacket that way if I fall off no wires attach me to the bike. The new touch does still lock up at times thats why the old style is better for biking. I never try to change anything while riding so I dont need to see it they are all my songs on there so I like them all

Note that if you try using an Ipod or Zen or even a phone in one of the tank bags that have toose clear plastic pockets on the outside of the bag (there are several bags that have pockets specifically designed to hold such items) on warm days or when exposed to bright sun for long periods of time those pockets can get very hot inside and many units have some sort of temp sensor that will shutdown the unit. I know as I tried this setup with my zen and with my iphone/ipod and on very sunny days the clear plastic covered pocket got really, really hot inside and the unit shut itself off. Placed inside the tank bag they worked fine but not as convenient. When I go my last tank bag I really liked the specially designed pocket idea, but was rather disappointed with the results. On cooler days or with some sort of protection from direct light it might work better.

RM

i listen to my ipod touch while riding and keep it in my pants pocket or jacket pocket. i have the 32gb one so i can pause it from the headphones and edjust the volume. i customize my playlists so there are no songs i dont want to hear.

follow up - I bought an iJet, $25 on ebay. It works brilliantly! I strapped it to the left handlebar. The buttons are a little too small so I occasionally hit a wrong one, but that's my only complaint.
CIMG0154.jpg

I use to keep my 3rd gen. iPod Nano in my jacket pocket, but always had some problems with this method. I found that I would always inadvertently snag the headphone wire and pull it out of my ear and had a hard time feeling the buttons through my jacket to advance to the next song. I recently mounted my iPod using the Ram Mount clutch cover mount and found that it works really well. Headphone wire lays across the top of the tank and doesn't get snagged. Plus, I'm using a pair of Sony headphones which have an inline volume adjustment, which works well since I can't rotate the iPod's dial while wearing gloves. They also have soft rubber ear pieces which double as ear plugs and keep a lot of wind noise out. Here are some pics of my set-up. Oh, and I bought the Ram Mounts from GPS Zone, who were very friendly and helpful when ordering, and also less expensive that buying directly from Ram.

100_2553.jpg

100_2555.jpg

100_2556.jpg

Try Air Click

remote for iPod. Works fine on my old iPod and was less than $10 on ebay. In fact, the shipping/handling was more than the $1.00 the Air Click cost. I keep the iPod in my tank bag and have had no issues with vibration.

The Air Click is great, but they don't seem to be available for the newer iPods. At least, we haven't found one.

For those wanting to go wireless with their Ipod, I recently purchased a Sony Bluetooth Wireless Transmitter for iPod (Black). It's small, plugs into the bottom of the Ipod, and works with my helmet Bluetooth device for easy listening without wires. If a call comes in while listening to my Ipod, the bluetooth pauses play, then resumes as soon as the call ends. Nice hands free operation.

I use to keep my 3rd gen. iPod Nano in my jacket pocket, but always had some problems with this method. I found that I would always inadvertently snag the headphone wire and pull it out of my ear and had a hard time feeling the buttons through my jacket to advance to the next song. I recently mounted my iPod using the Ram Mount clutch cover mount and found that it works really well. Headphone wire lays across the top of the tank and doesn't get snagged. Plus, I'm using a pair of Sony headphones which have an inline volume adjustment, which works well since I can't rotate the iPod's dial while wearing gloves. They also have soft rubber ear pieces which double as ear plugs and keep a lot of wind noise out. Here are some pics of my set-up. Oh, and I bought the Ram Mounts from GPS Zone, who were very friendly and helpful when ordering, and also less expensive that buying directly from Ram.

100_2553.jpg

100_2555.jpg

100_2556.jpg

Ditto about GPS Zone - they have tons of stuff in stock and very fast shipping. You've mounted your ipod the way I'd like to mount mine. However, you've got electronic storage and my old ipod has a hard drive. That's been the problem!

Aaron

The Air Click is great, but they don't seem to be available for the newer iPods. At least, we haven't found one.

Griffin doesn't make the Air Click anymore, hence none for newer ipod models. About the only place I found them is on ebay.

Aaron

Ditto about GPS Zone - they have tons of stuff in stock and very fast shipping. You've mounted your ipod the way I'd like to mount mine. However, you've got electronic storage and my old ipod has a hard drive. That's been the problem!

There is definitely a fair amount of vibration coming up through the RAM Mount when riding. I would only go that route with a solid-state iPod like the Nano. I'm also thinking about getting another matching mount for the brake fluid cover to mount a Garmin Nuvi 500/550, but I'm worried about the vibration levels since these aren't technically "motorcycle" units.

...but I'm worried about the vibration levels since these aren't technically "motorcycle" units.

Garmin, in fact, does claim the nuvi 550 is technically a motorcycle unit. Check it out on the specs page for the nuvi 550 on Garmin's site:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27442#specsTab

Roll down to the spec called "Motorcycle Friendly" and you will see they do rate it as such. As far as I know, Garmin makes only 2 current models rated "Motorcycle Friendly" besides the Zumo models. They are the nuvi 500 and nuvi 550, which are really the same hardware, they just have different maps.

Roll down to the spec called "Motorcycle Friendly" and you will see they do rate it as such. As far as I know, Garmin makes only 2 current models rated "Motorcycle Friendly" besides the Zumo models. They are the nuvi 500 and nuvi 550, which are really the same hardware, they just have different maps.

Thanks for pointing that out. I knew they were waterproof, but missed the motorcycle rating. I wouldn't be using the GPS all that much so I wouldn't want to spend $$$ on a Zumo.

On the bright side, almost at the five-months-'til-Christmas mark! :newtoy

I wouldn't be using the GPS all that much so I wouldn't want to spend $$$ on a Zumo.

My brother has a Zumo, and I have compared it side by side to my nuvi 550. The main things you don't get with the nuvi 550 are, an earphone jack, MP3 player, bluetooth, and XM Radio. I don't have any trouble navigating without the sound, and probably would not use the bluetooth or XM Radio if I had them. I have a very small MP3 player that is about the size of a postage stamp that I paid $14.95 for. So, I was happy to get a motorcycle GPS that is just a GPS without the extras and save the difference in price.

There is definitely a fair amount of vibration coming up through the RAM Mount when riding. I would only go that route with a solid-state iPod like the Nano. I'm also thinking about getting another matching mount for the brake fluid cover to mount a Garmin Nuvi 500/550, but I'm worried about the vibration levels since these aren't technically "motorcycle" units.

I've actually been using a Nuvi 1350T in RAM mount - no issues though I know it's not waterproof. I think the 'motorcycle' unit thing is a bit of a scam.

I've actually been using a Nuvi 1350T in RAM mount - no issues though I know it's not waterproof. I think the 'motorcycle' unit thing is a bit of a scam.

RAM sells multiple sizes of the "Aqua Box" specifically to use non-waterproof GPS models on motorcycles.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/AquaBoxMounts/tabid/125/Default.aspx

The market for auto GPS units is far more competitive than for motorcycles. It seems that the target price point for the leading manufacturers is around $100, and sale prices are regularly well below $100. If the Aqua Box is a good solution, it may be a way to cheaply upgrade hardware frequently. You can buy new GPS units for little more than the price of a Garmin map update. We can be confident that newer units are going to include new features and higher performance, probably at a lower cost (which is one reason I went with a nuvi 550 instead of a Zumo).

Back