• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Transmission failure

RIK

21,000 miles. Second gear slip. Bogging down. Took it to service and they think what I was hoping it wasn't. Have read on other sites this seems to be a not so uncommon problem. I am calling BMW to plead my case. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Rick
Fuel strip failed last week also.

'06 K1200S? Hmmm...I have one of those...second fuel strip, but all else ok at 11K miles.

I am going on 38000 mi. and trany shifts better than when new ( was a little notchy at first) no electrical problems other than I just put a new battery in this spring, perhaps just bad luck.:wave

Chuck sort of illuded to it, but, it is hard to tell what type of bike rik and Jeff have. I don't have the trans issue on my K13S, but if I did, I would be curious if it was an S issue we have in common, a GT issue or common to both....Having a Subject line read something like Transmission Failure on 05 GT or 09K13S Fuel Strip Problems can help others decide whether they have any valuable input or not.

Chuck sort of illuded to it, but, it is hard to tell what type of bike rik and Jeff have. I don't have the trans issue on my K13S, but if I did, I would be curious if it was an S issue we have in common, a GT issue or common to both....Having a Subject line read something like Transmission Failure on 05 GT or 09K13S Fuel Strip Problems can help others decide whether they have any valuable input or not.

It's a 2006 k12s. Had no problems up until a month back. Serviced at all intervals, changed oil every 3000 mi. Did not beat it up. Bad luck ? I'm not so sure. I have a good friend who purchased a k13gt. A little over a year old, third clutch, and many power issues. Has left for trips twice already only to turn back within 100 mi. Have done search online and found many with trans failures on k12s.

It's a 2006 k12s. Had no problems up until a month back. Serviced at all intervals, changed oil every 3000 mi. Did not beat it up. Bad luck ? I'm not so sure. I have a good friend who purchased a k13gt. A little over a year old, third clutch, and many power issues. Has left for trips twice already only to turn back within 100 mi. Have done search online and found many with trans failures on k12s.

BS flag. Please link us to all the tranny failures that you've found.

BS flag. Please link us to all the tranny failures that you've found.

I-BMW.com/ K1200S transmission failure
BMW-K.com/ K1200S transmission failure

Have been notified by bmwna, as I have had no prior issues with my bke, and as I am outside of year warranty, I am ineligible for any "good will". No bs, just f'd up.

Not BS really. BMW has had some really serious QC issues in the past 5 years. The former BMWNA head in an interview even mentioned that a few years ago. The manufacturing is sadly an issue. I hope BMW gets it's act together. I like riding them and nothing else out there can compare...when they are running.
BMW was doing a lot of good will a couple years ago, but maybe their warranty budgets are getting depleted. No kidding! No surprise!
So how about it BMW...Ford did it, how about you doing it better too!

Last edited:
rik:

Does your state have a small claims court? You might want to get some advice about taking a run at your dealer. Some lawyers will do free half hour consults.

Also, some jurisdictions have small claims court agents, who will run a trial for you for a modest fee.

rik:

Does your state have a small claims court? You might want to get some advice about taking a run at your dealer. Some lawyers will do free half hour consults.

Also, some jurisdictions have small claims court agents, who will run a trial for you for a modest fee.

As for now, bike is back together and garaged. It runs, slips at times... The only thing I can definitely say is, the failure I experienced is very much the same as those who have had this failure. Mine unfortunately did not occur in a reasonable time frame according to bmw standards. I am considering compiling info I have found and presenting it in a more formal manner...maybe. In any event fortune has not smiled on me, and my fortunes being what they is, the bike sits.

Back