• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Year's Day Riding

dancogan

Just wondering if any of you have a traditional ride that you do on New Year's Day, to get the new year off to a good start. This is my first year with a bike, and I'm hoping the roads are clear enough that I'll be able to get out at least to find someplace that serves chili or hot coffee! Right now we're still shoveling out from the snow that somehow passed up Ohio and Indiana and decided to come on up to Michigan! :lurk :drink

hey dan i am on the other side of michigan. i hope to take a spin on new years day - hope the snow is off the road where it belongs.

The other side of Michigan

Hi Cliffy. I understand your side of Michigan missed the snow we got last night. But you guys get all that lake effect snow, so you'll make up for it real soon. If I remember right there was an Orvis flyfishing shop in Ada. I used to stop there on my way back to Lansing when I worked for a bank that was headquartered in Grand Rapids.

In honor of you two gentlemen, I shall endeavor to ride on new years day .

I often take a very quick almost nekkid dip in the North pacific on New years..
This year,i will try to take a ride too,barring rain or snow.

dancogan said:
Just wondering if any of you have a traditional ride that you do on New Year's Day, to get the new year off to a good start. This is my first year with a bike, and I'm hoping the roads are clear enough that I'll be able to get out at least to find someplace that serves chili or hot coffee! Right now we're still shoveling out from the snow that somehow passed up Ohio and Indiana and decided to come on up to Michigan! :lurk :drink

There is usually a local club ride on January 1st if there isn't snow on the road. Length of the ride depends on our headache level and how cold it is.

Best,

Absolutely. Instead of watching a parade, or a bowl game, if the road is dry I try to get out as a way to kick off the new year. I'm successful most years and I think I'm on a three years in a row streak.

From 1/1/04 on the Peak-to-Peak highway above Peaceful Valley, maybe 20 miles south of Estes Park. There were some butt clenching icy spots down below in the shade. Be smooooooth :).

stpeace640.jpg

Paul and I usually meet the Heart of America Motorcycle Enthusiasts guys and gals for breakfast in Kansas City on New Years Day. Then we head over to Topeka to meet the Heartland Riders for lunch. Usually about 125 cold but dry miles.

There have been some years we've just ridden the F650's in the yard when our lane and one mile road to pavement were iced over. At midnight, the year when the Y2K catastrophe didn't happen, with flashers and horns activated, we were leaned over in curves a few sMiles north of our house.

How ever we can, it's been a tradition to ride!

Voni
sMiling

jgr451 said:
I often take a very quick almost nekkid dip in the North pacific on New years..
This year,i will try to take a ride too,barring rain or snow.

Make sure you put some clothes on for the riding part! :p

I've done a New Year's ride 7 years in a row now, this year it'll have to be New Year's Eve day. I'm working New Years and flying out of town the day after. For the last few years, it's been Death Valley to Baker for a Strawberry Shake at the Crazy Greeks place then home via Kelbaker road. Only saw 1 car the entire ~120 miles or so.
Then again, if it's really nice weather, I might do a few miles of dirt in the AZ strip.

cheating

I heard an off-hand report that the temps might make the upper 50'sF locally by next weekend. Doesn't seem quite fair, nor in keeping with the spirit of the year "Rounders".

well, i took a ride through new york city, brooklyn and on the way home hit a pot hole in the bronx and bent both rims, bubbled a front tire, and trying to make it home after beating on the rim, my right luggage bag fell off. i broke one of the tabs on that sucker too. so, it was an expensive new years day for me. i was s-miling up until the pot hole. hopefully, i'll have everything repaired by this weekend and see if the snow that's supposed to hit us today and tomorrow morning will melt by then.

pete

Back