• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000RR Experiences . . .

CTellman

I am eagerly awaiting my new S1000RR. I am the lucky winner of the Superbike Drawing. I know there are several or many of you who have taken possession of the new "S" bike. I wonder what your impressions are. What other bikes do you have? How old are you? What kind of motorcycling experience before the new bike? What do you like and what don't you care for? Do you have radar detectors?
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'10 S1000RR (July delivery)
:thumb

it's going to be a ridiculous BIG difference from the RT. I had the pleasure of riding track on it about a month ago at a Code class. Instant response, great braking, the size of the machine is my favorite as it reminds me of the size of a Kaw 636, not a large honkin bike and it's nimble to boot. Got to ride it in the pouring rain and it held it's own. I didn't feel uncomfortable on it by any means.

Well, you can do 80 m.p.h. in first gear!

I have to ask, what are the other 5 for?

Campbell, prepare to be shot out of a cannon relative to your RT.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NKURNzl7cSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NKURNzl7cSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Well, you can do 80 m.p.h. in first gear!

I have to ask, what are the other 5 for?

Actually, you can do about 95 in first and then wheelie in second.

After the first two weeks of riding my RR, I called the sales guy and asked him why the bike had gears 4, 5, and 6.

I'm waiting for the first RR owner to do a coast-to-coast run under 40 hours using only first gear.

Not your typical BMW.....or motorcycle of any brand for that matter.

You will need to show it a lot of respect....A LOT.

Make sure you have it pointed in the right direction when you pull the trigger.

Do you know what happens when Captain Picard says "engage"?.....OK then......something like that.

Congrats....I'm jealous.

I need a RW&B one, but I also need a new Husqvarna or it might be time to buy a new HD since it is the end of the line for the aircooled ones.

An Update . . . .

Wezul and all,
With the rally finished I expect to hear from MOA any day about the S bike.
I know that BMW underestimated the success and so my ride will be delayed. Ok w/me because it has been too hot in NC to ride. I do not ride until mid September when it gets better. I am a transplant from upstate NY and a BMW rider off and on (mostly on) since 5/72. I really love cooler weather riding. I am an ATGATT guy and a 90+ degree day is a challenge.
Thanks for all the PMs and for your interest. This is a dream come true for me!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'10 S1000RR

I bought mine 4-10-10. I am 55 and have never owned a sport bike. It is the most phenominal motorcycle I have ever ridden!!! It is an adrenaline rush x10. A "must do" is get it to a track. I did Barber Motorsports last month and will go Road Atlanta Aug 22. With out a doubt the most fun I have ever had. It will take several weeks to get use to it but it gets better each time you ride it. Congrats and welcome to the world of the S1000!!!

my RR experiences

I've been riding motorcycles since 1971....am 54 y/o and the RR is my 35th bike...It replaces my '00 Kaw. ZX-9R...I also ride a '99 RT and have a '00 Road King...I've had the bike at the road course (Grattan and Gingerman in Mi.) and the strip (US 131 MSP...10.32 at 143)...It is the thrill ride of your life for sure..THe roll on in third from 7k to 14k will take you from 70 to 145 faster than you can imagine...It takes all my 38 years of riding to manage this amazing beast...Talking doesn't do this feeling right............riding is the only way...pace yourself and learn carefully..when the motor crests 10k in any gear, the animal comes out to play and it's serious play.....the first time I felt the power with the rev limiter off, I felt the world wasn't flat enough, nor long enough...it's an addiction you will not soon fix.....nuff said, ride quickly and responsively....Have 2000 miles and just replaced the "down to the cords" rear.....first mod will be the new front master cylinder upgrade....buddy did it and said it was way worth the $350....enjoy, GK.

Got my chance on it yesterday....ohhhh mama.

You are so right about 3rd. Silly. Plus at 10K it's like the the motor just doubled. It'll dispatch traffic like nothing I've ever ridden. Frankly, without a radar detector I'd be minus a license NOW. It's not a restraint thing, well....sort of. It's just on such another level. On a road I always drive on and with what felt like the same shifts as my GS I was over 80 where I'd be in the 45-50 range. Did I say silly?

There is definitely a learning curve on it and some serious track time would be need to ever remotely appreciate the stuff this bike can offer.

S1000RR Update . . . . .

Hey All!
I received and email from Ted Moyer this AM. He said that the demand for the
S1000RR had been unexpected and that my grand prize would be delayed until 9/10. He further stated that it would be a 2011! With all of the nice features like shift assist, ABS and traction control etc. September is a better month to ride in NC. Cooler. I will be picking it up at Capitol Cycle in Raleigh. Can't wait!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR

S1000RR Update . . . . .

You are right I am lucky. I am very thankful, also. BMW, BMWMOA and my fellow members have been great. I have received so many PMs with good wishes.
I am not an unlucky person usually. I am not a lucky person usually.
I am a touring rider. I ride my BMW to work every day. I am encouraged by the people who are not usually sport bike enthusiasts who really love the S. I never expect to put 650 miles a day on it but it will be a blast to own and drive.
In my 62 years I have had some thrills. The first time I soloed an airplane, driving my R75/5 to the Guatemala border, earning my MBA, marrying my wife Lisa to name a few. Owning and driving a m/c that will perform like the S bike will another.
Thanks,
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR

Everybody that rides the demo at our dealership comes back and the first words out of their mouths are

"Holy Crap !"

The next words are usually the same "why more than two gears?"

First ride S1000RR . . . .

I went to Capitol Cycle in Raleigh on Saturday to pick up my new S1000RR. The people at the dealership couldn't have been nicer. Ted Moyer from MOA was there as well as my wife Lisa.
I rode the 150 miles back to the coast while she followed in car. What a thrill! I have never driven anything so responsive and agile. The modes make riding very enjoyable. I started in rain and then moved up. It is rev limited to 9K but at 7k in 6th the speedo was at 90+!
I am really looking forward to learning more about this bike and hopefully my wrists will become conditioned. FWIW it is easier to ride at 80+ than lower speeds.
This has been a big event in my life. I took lots of fotos so someday when I am sitting on th front porch of Shady Rest with a catheter I'll think back on this experience. BMW MOA, BMW and many people have made this one of my life's big events.
Thanks for all the PMs and good wishes!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11S1000RR

FWIW it is easier to ride at 80+ than lower speeds.

Yes, you really want to shift to 2nd. ;) :ha

I'll bet you're excited, I'm excited for you!

Enjoy!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EjdOTr-rKi4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EjdOTr-rKi4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Back