• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just got a New Big Mak Raptor Tank Bag

chadman

I just got my new tank bag today and really love it:clap I got this from Big Mak Accessories and have to say he did a great job. I wanted a bag that would be easy to add/remove and let me add gas without taking it off. This bag is hinged and just lifts up when you need to add gas. I also got a map case to go with the bag. I can still read all of my instruments and turn without touching the bag. Below are some pictures.

full.jpg

close.jpg

lift.jpg

lift2.jpg

turn.jpg

mapcase.jpg

That's a great find. Thanks for sharing it. The BMW stock tank bag is nice, but in my opinion it's just too darn big. I can put everything I need in my side cases and top case so the stock jumbo tank bag for me is overkill. Your Big Mak style looks like a more manageable size plus it's cool they provided the same feature of easily lifting out of the way for fueling.

Like the shelf for your GPS. Who makes that style?

Also, what's the gizmo mounted on your handle bar behind the clutch reservoir?

It was kind of nice ordering the bag. The guy you talk to on the phone, Mark, is also the owner. The same guy that will make your bag. This is his Raptor back and kind of new. He cut me a break because he was still working on the mount and making them by hand.

The mount for the GPS is the BMW mount for the Nav IV, but works great with the Zumo 660. Behind the clutch is my tire pressure monitor. I think the company is called TireGard (sp).

I just got a Big Mak for my 1150RT and it is the best thing since sliced bread. Stable, convenient, very clean mount setup, no straps flailing.

JEP

How is the hinged part held on to the motorcycle?

The plate with the hinge just Velcro's into those slots on your tank rail. If you checkout his web site its a little easier to see. I think I have version 3 of this bag/hinge so the one on the web site looks just a little different. It will give you an idea what I am talking about.

I can remove the bag just by lifting it up and pulling a single Velcro tab by the hinge. After that the bag just lifts off the hinge. To remove the hinge I just pull the 2 Velcro straps off.

I as well use a BIG MAK Tank Bag on my R1150RT and I LOVE IT. It will not scratch your paint as it mounts on a bracket which is hinged. This also eliminates having to remove any straps while refueling. Simply move the bag in the upward position and you will have access to the gas cap/tank.

Detailed pictures can bee seen in this thread:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=44199

I've got the Big Mak bag

My new to me 2002 1150RT came with the mount but no bag. Had to do some searching to find what exactly fit the metal plate and found the website. I too talked to Mike for quite a while. Ordered the Raptor (I think, does not have the little zippered pouch on the rear) and mapcase and a rain cover. Great workmanship. Like the little zippered inside pockets too. Handy for a little 9volt flashlight and knife.

Don

Chadman,

Thanks for the pics. I also just bought a 2010 RT and my old RKA bag straps will rub the top potion of the tank where you strap it down so I was delighted to see a better idea. I went to the site for the bags but I don't see a price for the map case. How much did it set you back?

Chadman,

Thanks for the pics. I also just bought a 2010 RT and my old RKA bag straps will rub the top potion of the tank where you strap it down so I was delighted to see a better idea. I went to the site for the bags but I don't see a price for the map case. How much did it set you back?

I think I paid ~50.00 for the map case. I have been really happy with the tank bag. Works great when I need to fill the tank.

I have a Bigmak on my 1150RT and I like the features. I wish there was a water bag that fit the bottom half better It also has a bad habit of honking the horn on hard left turns.
Ben

I have a Bigmak on my 1150RT and I like the features. I wish there was a water bag that fit the bottom half better It also has a bad habit of honking the horn on hard left turns.
Ben

Sadly, Big Mak is no more.

I still have my mid-sized Big Mak with the deluxe map pocket on top. The elastic on the side nets is so stretched out now, it's comical. I sprayed it with tent waterproofing and it is pretty waterproof without a cover. The sun has bleached the black to a nice grey patina. The map pocket sheds most of the water in a hard rain.

This bag of mine attaches to the fuel filler bolts and barely clears the R12RT tank rails, but it does clear them. It flips up instantly at gas stops and I don't even put my kickstand down for fill-ups. I restart and pull away from the pumps while my friends are still reaching for their credit cards. The map pocket has an invaluable iPod holder with a little opening in the far side to run a wire for power. My iPod stays hidden and i keep a remote stuck to the top of the map pocket with velcro.

I've used this system now on 3 bikes and maybe 200,000 miles. There are wireless systems and I've tried them but the fidelity of the direct wire to molded plugs stereo is unbeatable. Bluetooth just doesn't cut it for me. Neither do helmet speakers. When I get off the bike, if I forget to unplug, it just unplugs at the remote without issue. Only issue I've had is that it puts my windscreen down when I make a sharp left U-turn or similar.

Wish these guys or someone would start making these bags again. I need a new one! :clap

Back