• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1200S Fuel Mileage

P

PowderkegPete

Just wondering what kind of fuel mileage other K1200S/R riders are getting and whether anyone has observed that one brand of fuel yields better mileage over others.

I had been running Sunoco until my dealer service rep admonished me to use "Top Tier" fuels ( in my area - Shell, Chevron or Texaco). I don't know whether I'm imagining things but my mileage in combined city, country twisty and super slab riding has increased from 39.9 to 45.2 since switching brands.

I'll be grateful for your insight.

Pete

I consistently get 40-44 mpg depending on how much fun I have vs how much steady state riding. I use a the local cheap source with no additives, or when in a metro area - Chevron, Costco, Shell, AM/PM, whatever is available. Brand makes no difference for me. I only get to ride once a week, but I put two tanks through it, one in the morning riding from Mendocino to Sacramento and one in the evening for the return trip. For the most part, the vast majority in any given area actually all come from the same tank at the farm....surprising but true.

Last edited:
Haven't thought about brand, but always go for the higher octane, usually 93, and average a measely 40 mpg. Stock exhaust and filters.

I generally get in the range of 45 mpg, but sometimes substantially less depending on the fun index on any particular day. Always run the highest octane rating available, never pay attention to the brand. Everything on the bike is stock except for moto-lights (awk! how did those get there) and some hyper-lights on the back.

"Top Tier Fuels"

Just want to clarify the term, "Top Tier Fuels (TTF)." The service manager at my dealer recommended that I change to TTF following the failure of my second fuel strip inside 8,000 miles. TTF are fuels that contain detergent additives as well as up to 10% methanol. According to my service manager BMW AG and BMW Motorrad NA recommend TTF -- of course, always 93 octane, or better. If anyone is interested; Google "Top Tier Fuels" for a list of brands that contain detergent in your geographic area.

Pete

around 40 range... can't do slow coz the bike keeps telling me .. go faster go faster...

always using 93 as station stated, but is it really up to 93.. who knows

Sometime you have no choice of gas companies on the road & location - 93 or higher here. If traveling - I tend to stay away from States with higher % of methanol in there gas. I also drilled out my filler neck with holes - to get more gas & faster fueling - no shaking the bike to get the air out - gas & go here. My bike hates City driving, but on the highway at 80-90 she can get me 240 a tank going back & forth to Johnson City last yr. from MA. on Firmware 7.1 stock air filters.

Back