• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Laser protection

Hello. Are there any good stuff to protect you from laser? Has to be a smart laser jammer. Some years ago, 3-6, I read about a company specializing in protection for MC, think they were in Seattle.
A detector might work if you are trailing traffic. If not, will only tell you have been "shot". Radar is out in my "region".
Ride safe

Never seen a laser here in NC- just radar. I suspect the idea of standing outside in our hot humid summer weather is a bit of a discouragement - its so nasty I don't even want to be outside in shorts and t-shirt- only swimming justifies being outdoors today.
Also rarely see them in the east and when I do, it has always been in MD. Not sure where else they might be used.

I asked at ADVRider as well. They claim this is good stuff; http://www.speedcheetah.com/scshop/page.php?xPage=M27-Rider.html

We learned early on in Radar/Laser school that unless your vehicle can generate an EMP in the 50-Kilowatt or so range, there's no such thing as "jamming a laser."

The instructors then humorously passed out the business cards of every radar/laser detector and jammer manufacturer in the business ........ in case we wanted to buy stock!

I love Capitalism - may it live forever. :dance

From my class in the olden days, it would seem that a thick plush fur coating all over everything that shows in a front view of the bike might work. absorbing and not reflecting any of the Laser Beam.

Sort of like the doggy van in Dumb and Dumber or Cheech & Chong's vehicle made of plant material. Hard to figure headlights & such.

Our instructor joked that the warning display on the laser detector should flash "Pull over & pay the nice Policeman"

Ca Ching.

Hello. Are there any good stuff to protect you from laser? Has to be a smart laser jammer. Some years ago, 3-6, I read about a company specializing in protection for MC, think they were in Seattle.
A detector might work if you are trailing traffic. If not, will only tell you have been "shot". Radar is out in my "region".
Ride safe
Adaptiv, makers of the TPX radar detector for motorcycles, is about to introduce a laser jammer that plugs into the TPX. I'm getting one as soon as they're available!

Wow, I thought we operated under the presumption of innocence around here!:D 73043 didn't say that he wanted/needed one so that he could break the law.:brow

We do.

Our legal system stands firm on such a building block.

But it also includes a 'presumption of obedience to laws' until such laws are voided by a higher court or rescinded by a legislative body representing us, the voting citizens.

The only engineered purpose of a radar/laser detector is to facilitate speeding - if you're not speeding, you don't need one.

Yeah, yeah - in 30+ years of law enforcement, I've heard every rationalization about "I use it to remind me to slow down," or "I need it to avoid 'speed traps" (the ultimate oxymoron), or "I have a right to detect police radar" (which actually, you do under FCC regs), to ..... well, more than could possibly be thought up on this forum.

Hey - this biker doesn't always stay at or under the posted limits, but if cited, it's no one's fault but my own (no "presumed innocence" here), and I'll take my medicine. There are posted limits uniform throughout the U.S., and if I miss spotting one in a village that likes to use speed enforcement as a revenue stream, still my fault - no 'trap' ever existed.

You like the idea of a radar/laser detector (or 'jammer' :D ), go for it - it's your $$$.

But linking constitutional presumed innocence to speeding?

Sorry - that dog won't hunt. :nono

Last edited:
Nothing is 100%

The best all around detector is Valentine 1. Most great detector saves are from the unit picking up the signal shot at a vehicle in front of you. Widband jamming still seems to me to be an inexact science. IMHO and experience. :gerg

The bike I've is not a Hayabusa, it's a R 100 RT with 60 hp. My brother had a Hayabusa. He was commuting to work early in the morning last summer. Clear skies, dry road, no traffic, and a 2 km straight portion of the road in front of him. So he went a bit "fast". Was clocked in at 116 km/h in a 80-zone by a laser. 115 would've been OK, a fine equal to $ 1K. Since he was at 116, the fine was more than $ 2K. And no driving for 3 months!
Just to put things in perspective. I do'nt consider myself a reckless driver. But I could easily been caught in a similar situation. I drive often at times with no traffic.
I would claim doing the same speed with an old, shabby car is a worse "crime". But the penalty is the same.

Isn't it funny how it is more difficult to detect speeders in heavy traffic and so easy when there is little traffic? Going much faster (or slower for that matter) than the surrounding vehicles in congested traffic is dangerous and stupid, yet violaters often get away with it. Police are rarely there when they could do the most good. Just being visible would increase safety.

On the other hand, going a bit over the posted speed limit when traffic is very light or non-existant is not very dangerous on limited access roads, yet that is usually when and where the police are visible.

You know you're getting old when...

...the posted speed limits seem just about right.

Seriously, after 5 or 6 decades under your belt you realize that the years you have lived way outnumber the ones that remain. For me, I treasure the experience of living and riding in these remaining years and really don't want to worry about being a source of revenue enhancement.

Now, this is coming from someone who has been through the early biker years, the sports car autocross/rally/SCCA racing years, and has had his share of augmented velocity moments. But that was then, and this is now.

I really don't think there is a way to defeat a laser if you are tagged. But I'd love to see certified, repeatable testing that shows an effective laser-jammer under realistic conditions. However, I'd rather spend my money farkling my bike.

Back