• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Laser protection

Keep in mind that most police officers who are Radar/Laser certified are also regarded as experts in visual speed estimation and use Radar/Lidar as a secondary confirmation. So if you are zipping along at some ungodly speed with your radar jammer/laser deflector/space-time continuum shifter running, it's still possible to be cited and convicted based only on the officer's observation.

And yes, I agree that the Dr. Evil post is the best of this questionable topic. :D

YUP. :nono

Yer getting your types of radiation mixed up, RM. :stick

yeah been passing two many radon deflectors an lasik machines without my foil lined helmut, gotta gets me a knew one soon.....anything in the from of electro-spasmetic irridation an't goodly for the noudle, dontchaknow?

RM

Keep in mind that most police officers who are Radar/Laser certified are also regarded as experts in visual speed estimation and use Radar/Lidar as a secondary confirmation. So if you are zipping along at some ungodly speed with your radar jammer/laser deflector/space-time continuum shifter running, it's still possible to be cited and convicted based only on the officer's observation.

And yes, I agree that the Dr. Evil post is the best of this questionable topic. :D

:thumb on Dr. Evil's "laser beam".

Officer Friendly doesn't need a radar/LIDAR/laser reading to write you a negligent/reckless driving ticket. All s/he needs is their words on the page describing how you were excessively exceeding the speed limit, putting yourself and others at risk. When it's a judgment call, hard numbers don't matter. Just like you can get a DUI conviction based upon the observations of the officer alone. No breath or blood test required for the officer to testify you were impaired and under the influence of some intoxicating substance.

Besides, in my neck of the woods, the State Patrol uses a Cessna 182 with a fancy camera/infrared system that tracks speed and dispatches ground units.

The local TV stations love airing the footage of the squids racing their sportbikes through traffic attempting to elude the police, pulling their bikes into their garages thinking they've escaped The Man, only to have the patrol cars roll up 30 seconds later guided in by the aircraft orbiting above.

Unless you're also going to be monitoring air traffic control chatter on your Bluetooth headset inside your helmet, you have no idea what's flying above you.

Either obey the traffic laws, get by with what defenses you have (i.e. traditional radar/LIDAR/laser detectors), or simply be prepared to pay the price of violating our traffic laws.

Look, put down the crack pipe. ANY jamming device for speed detection products are illegal. And most, if not every one of them are just expensive junk.

One of the most widely used speed measuring instruments (or SMI) in use today is VASCAR. It's a fancy/computerized stopwatch gizmo kind of deal. It sends out NOTHING to detect and SGT. speedcatcher has your exact speed without you knowing a damn thing, until you see the blue lights...:whistle

It versatile too! Moving and stationary modes...;)

BTW, just so you know, RADAR travels the speed of light which is, 186,000 miles per second. Laser is, well faster. All of these devices have stand by modes so if you think you can jam or detect any of them before they lock your speed in, knock the powdered sugared dohnut crumbs off their face and put that Crown Vic in drive, good luck...

Brian, Ted is right. In a given medium (air, air with moisture, vacuum), all electromagnetic energy travels at the same speed. Some frequencies are attenuated by moisture (and this is NOT a linear function of frequency). It is faster in a vacuum than in air.
Radar detectors depend on their receiver being more sensitive than the LEO's receiver (thus hopefully giving you the time to slow down before they acquire your reflected signal).

Just an aside -
Southbound on interstate 5 in Oregon, I got "burned" by a LEO with a laser - he got it right in my face, and it was f[reakin'] BRIGHT, even through my faceshield + glasses. It Hurt, "distracting" is a polite understatement. Fortunately he didn't get a good lock... Typically they want the reflector of your headlight.

Look, put down the crack pipe. ANY jamming device for speed detection products are illegal. And most, if not every one of them are just expensive junk.

One of the most widely used speed measuring instruments (or SMI) in use today is VASCAR. It's a fancy/computerized stopwatch gizmo kind of deal. It sends out NOTHING to detect and SGT. speedcatcher has your exact speed without you knowing a damn thing, until you see the blue lights...:whistle

It versatile too! Moving and stationary modes...;)

BTW, just so you know, RADAR travels the speed of light which is, 186,000 miles per second. Laser is, well faster. All of these devices have stand by modes so if you think you can jam or detect any of them before they lock your speed in, knock the powdered sugared dohnut crumbs off their face and put that Crown Vic in drive, good luck...

Couple of comments.........

A. You're right - VASCAR is still widely used and undetectable, so correct.

B. The FCC permits you to receive any and all signals, but not transmit (jam) anything your heart desires, so correct again.

C. Speed of light issue has been addressed - nothing faster than 'c' - the velocity of light. However, it can be slowed down by the medium thru which it passes.

D. We switched to sprinkled donuts some years back, as extensive personal research showed that the powdered sugared ones were gumming up the electronics. Faster finger response this way! :dance

Last edited:
Laser

BTW, just so you know, RADAR travels the speed of light which is, 186,000 miles per second. Laser is, well faster.

BTW, the "L" in LASER stands for "light", and as far as we know nothing travels faster than light. RADAR and LASERs are just different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum.:gerg

Truth, but -
With the newest colliders in Illinois and Switzerland, physicists are beginning to think that some of their results - like the new particles they've observed - could only happen if something went faster than C. When you've got two electron beams already approaching the speed of light, and they collide head-on (as these experiments do), the resultant impact must account for this anomaly. Even Einstein agreed, towards the end of his career, that it could be possible.
But this is out of scope for a motorcycle forum...!

I don't use/have a radar/laser detector on my RT. I dunno, maybe my speed parameters have changed in my old age. :stick

Rubber down
Rich

I speak first-hand. It was BRIGHT, it was RED, and it was PAINFUL. I actually jerked my head back as a first involuntary reaction, then cursed the pork after I was by him.

Last edited:
When you've got two electron beams already approaching the speed of light, and they collide head-on (as these experiments do), the resultant impact must account for this anomaly.

Some quantum mechanicists suggest that some of 'em little bosons or fermions in the experiments actually travel backwards in time, too.

You know how you can move your hand across a flashlight and shoot the shadow across the room. What if your hand was moving at .9999999999999999*C. Would your shadow travel faster than light?

Yes! No! I... don't... know... :scratch

Back