• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HYDER,Alaska anyone, afterwards?

Polarbear

Polarbear
I may ride to HYDER, a first for me, after the rally,but? Questions? Its about a 1000m.(1500k) from Vancouver to HYDER according to my Canada map. Anybody been lately or anytime. Ferries from HYDER. Are they picking up passengers/bikes at HYDER, for Washington/USA or Victoria/BC(South)???and is it a hard sell, showing up without reservations for the boat?...I really want to ride Alaska, but have no time to take in the main state and HYDER is touchable maybe! Passports all ready in hand:). GSA1200 is alll set too. Never been that far North before, so I'm looking forward to HYDER at least this time around:). Randy"Polarbear":thumb:usa

More:)

250-386-3431, 7AM to 10PM daily to speak with an agent at BC Ferries. I just did:). 370$ from P.RupertBC to Port hardy/Vancouver IslandBC, a 15 hour, every other day Southbound trip. Bike and passenger for this price. Reserves strongly recommended, within three hours of shipping at the minimum and anytime from now on. FYI, for those wondering:). Closest ferry to HyderAK...Ride to Hyder/boat south:)Randy:thumb

From Prince Rupert it is an easy day to Stewart/Hyder. It is a great ride and you will especially like the section from Meziadin Junction to Stewart, twisty and runs past a glacier that is dropping into a lake beside the road. Enjoy!

Love the ride to Hyder! We'll be there pre Rally and can give you the latest. Great place to visit. See bears AND Bear Glacier AND Salmon Glacier!

And Caroline and her famous Fudge!

Voni
sMiling

Thx:)

Yeah, I'll keep in touch here and wait to hear how it is this year in Hyder:). I'm looking forward to heading there after the rally. The ferry down to Port Hardy, I'm not sure yet and its a lot of repeat coming back down the same road!. I don't usually retrace my steps, the same trip. Later, Randy:thumb

Yeah, I'll keep in touch here and wait to hear how it is this year in Hyder:). I'm looking forward to heading there after the rally. The ferry down to Port Hardy, I'm not sure yet and its a lot of repeat coming back down the same road!. I don't usually retrace my steps, the same trip. Later, Randy:thumb

Then the option is to take the Cassiar north to Watson Lake and ride back down the Alaska Highway. All of the Cassiar except several few-mile stretches was paved two years ago but the north end was deteriorating so there might be construction - there usually is somewhere.

THX Paul.

I'm an avid offroader on my GSA1200, so I'm fairly well prepared to get it dirty if need be:). Are you and Voni up there already or near Hyder? I think I read you're heading that way before Redmond. I will afterwards. Ride well, both of ya and see ya in Oregon. Randy

It's more about the ride than Hyder

There isn't much to see or do in Hyder or Stewart (unless the bears show up for Salmon spawn). But, BC37A, the road from the cutoff to Hyder, is one of the most beautiful roads in the Northern Hemisphere.

Me? I'm planning to ride to Port Angeles after the Rally, thence to Victoria (one of the most beautiful cities in the Northern Hemisphere) via the ferry, then up the coastal road from Victoria to Tofino, then up to Port Hardy. Then, back down the East coast of the Straits, and BC3 across the Southern edge of BC, toward home, via the Going to the Sun Hwy at Glacier Park. I know, I know, it's closed right now, but I have faith they'll clear it in time for me. If not, I'll just ride around it.

This route gives me hundreds of miles of wonderful riding roads, as opposed to many miles of wonderful roads to Hyder. Since I've already done some of both, I have the choice.

See you in Redmond, creek not risin'.

Jim :brow

Well Jim;

You may see me along that path somewhere too. I too have been on many of the roads in BC, but not the North end of the island and Hyder, etc.. You can find me at the GS Base Camp Tent for more details of my departure from Redmond going North. I'll be glad to share some plans for riding Canada. Randy, GS Chairperson/Redmond,GSA1200....Look me up:):thumb

Back