• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It's Too Damn Hot!

CTellman

As a transplanted New Yorker I really enjoy being able to ride in the winter here in NC. It is too hot to ride when the temp is near 100 and the humidity is high.
Thank God for Winter!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'10 S1000RR (July '10)
:thumb

Heat index at 105 today down here. :hungover
I am lucky I drive a boat for a living, as it is much cooler on the water...:dance

To Hot ?

I rode back from Myrtle beach this past sat. 95 to 97 F. I had my full gear on 1st layer long carbon X undergarmet. Next Kevlar lined jeans, 26 layer kevlar vest, mesh jacket. high visable vest & full face helmet. Yes it was hot. But after hearing from my nephew in the Marines in Afghanistan tell me it was 122f at 10:00 in the morning & 144f that afternoon I'll take this heat any day.

He has about 80lbs of armor on plus anywhere from 20 to 60lbs of extra gear depending on how many days his next mission is.

HOT? Want cheese and crackers? Come on out to the Jewel of the Southwest, Yuma Arizona. Its a dry heat. running 105 this week. Expect higher later next week and it will stay there until mid Sept. I do feel for the HD riders, but there is a lot of them around here, riding.

We ride every day with all the gear. It does cool down in the evenings. Last year one night coming home from work at 3 am, it was 97

bob

As a transplanted New Yorker I really enjoy being able to ride in the winter here in NC. It is too hot to ride when the temp is near 100 and the humidity is high.
Thank God for Winter!
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'10 S1000RR (July '10)

Sheesh...lowlander transplants :laugh Come up to the mountains....its nice and cool and dry! You just moved to the wrong part of North Carolina, that's all!
Cheryl

Come visit just don't move here

Come to Oregon, so far in the Portland area we have had 2 days that reached 80 so far this year. Todays high 65 maybe. June 15th snow at Government Camp. Of course that will all change in time for the rally......

99 degs and 40% humidity today in Dallas.. Gonna be about the same tomorrow and it is not even summer time yet.. Welcome to the sauna..
All of the weekend warriors that I work with think I am crazy to be out in this in full gear. Keep telling me that I would be cooler with out the long sleeve shirt and jacket. I just keep answering suppose you are right. :blah

Sheesh...lowlander transplants :laugh Come up to the mountains....its nice and cool and dry! You just moved to the wrong part of North Carolina, that's all!
Cheryl
PLEASE don't invite them there, They have a habit of telling their friends and inviting them then. Just look at things around Raleigh and Cary (C ontainment A rea for R elocated Y ankees) . At a bikers lunch each week, no so long ago they were surprised as I was born in NC. They said they had never met anyone FROM NC. The folks from Florida are bad enough up there till they leave late summer. Don't invite the other yankees that haven't made it to FL yet.

As for the heat. I have found wearing long legged and long sleeved snug fitting wicking base layer works much better than short legged/sleeve stuff. I was in Fayetteville and 98 when I left earlier in the week. Yes it is hot, esp when behind trucks/busses and PUs all trying to get out of town. Once moving, kinda like the bike, things cool off.

Top layer is full leathers and boots and gloves.
Its summer.. summer in the south.. ride anyway.

NCS

Not hot on a R1200R

You have the wrong bike for the heat. The RT is great in the winter. I used to ride one, but now I have the ultimate warm weather bike...the R1200R.

No fairing and plenty of wind. Naked bikes rule in the heat!

95deg + 80% humidity taxes your endurance. I ride my HD softtail for local and up to 300 mile round trip jaunts and use the back roads. The CLC is much better on long trips, I'm looking forward to riding in the Rockies and Yellowstone on my way to Redmond. I can dress for the cold but would not be ATTGAT and probably arrested shedding clothes for the heat. Ride Safe & HYDRATE :usa :usa

You have the wrong bike for the heat... ...Naked bikes rule in the heat!

You're right there! The K1200LT is staying in the garage lately, and the Z-1000 is getting lots of miles on her. 99 degrees with a heat index of 115 in Arkadelphia, Arkansas today.

LET'S RIDE!!:dance

after working in TX heat for many years as a lineman...it's never too hot to ride and enjoy the day:dance Just stay hydrated and moving.
Last week we were in the Montana mountains with liners in at 29 and some snow, a few days later crossing a Utah desert into Moab at 105...then across northern New Mexico in a warm rain and back thru West Texas...another 102...it's just what it is...or you stay on the porch:wave
I felt sorry for my brother who had to finish up in humid Houston...now that place is MUGGY this time of year

Also looking at adding a "humid weather summer bike" to join the RT -it does indeed have too much protection for hot/humid/slower/shorter distance conditions (the same protection that makes it such a good all weather tourer) and while NCs mts are nice riding, I'm not about to move there- winter snow and ice disrupt 12 mth riding and the fish aren't much bigger than bait.

Thinking seriously about a supermoto- either a Husky or the less potent (in stock form) Suzuki. Don't need the race level performance but want one at 300 lbs or less to keep the the fun factor up. I'm getting too old to want to bust my wrists on crotch rockets though the things are cheap, used with an enormous supply to pick from. Too bad light powerful nakeds and stds are uncommon- we had a better range of that stuff 25 yrs ago before porky cruisers and uncomfortable track-like toys became so common. Be nice if BMW moved faster to upgrade the Husky network in the U.S. because its a natural complement to the existing BMW line. There's no significant model overlap other than 1 low-selling dirt bike and Husky's existing network isn't very impressive yet they've got many models that don't compete directly with Japanese stuff, either.

Today we've got perfect NC coastal weather for the 4th of July weekend. 80s during the day, 60s at night, sunny, low humidity. Doesn't get any better.

On the 4th of July . . . .

Thanks for putting up with 130 degree temps and IEDs and clueless politicians.
You're are what makes the US great!

Last edited:
Two years later.... and it's still TOO DAMN HOT!

Nothings changed. It's nearly JULY and too DAMN HOT HERE TOO!

Riding this weekend

We have a GPS workshop this Saturday at 7:30 AM. Then I am off to Greensboro for a weekend party and camping. It cannot be any worse than Bloomsburg was.

Back