• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Road Racing

Becky973

Just had a wonderful weekend of racing at Road America and next weekend I will be in Grattan in MI with AHRMA. One bike is running great and the other ones is another story:banghead. It is being worked on all this week so maybe I will have two bikes for the track. I will be leaving on June 30 for a slow trip out west to the Rally. I'm bring pictures and video of Road Racing to show.

Becky:burnout

Hey Becky, what are you riding? I love the vintage races at Barber in October. The sidecar guys are insane. My buddy races in the Thruxton cup they run there.

Have you been to Barber for the Vintage races? It is spectacular and not to be missed, especially the museum.

Robo

I'm racing a Honda 1972 CB350 and a 1982 Honda Ascot (which is sick):banghead. I was think about the Thruxton but the cost stopped me and that bike is really fast on the track.
A couple of friends are thinking about building me a BMW this winter so I can race it. :dunno.
The races at Barber are really great. They do everything FIRST CLASS at that track and it is the last race of the season for AHRMA. We are on the second level of the pits every year . Stop by and see the bikes.

Becky

Yes, we are usually on the second level. If you are going up the hill we will be on the left side. And on the left side of that area nearer the bathrooms.

We have a pretty good size of BMW folks at the event. My buddy Charlie (Brit Iron Rebels) is right in that area by the bathrooms. We'll look for you.

It is sad that a "word association" post gets 1000s of replies but any posts about track or racing can't even get 10 posts!

We have a pretty good size of BMW folks at the event. My buddy Charlie (Brit Iron Rebels) is right in that area by the bathrooms. We'll look for you.

It is sad that a "word association" post gets 1000s of replies but any posts about track or racing can't even get 10 posts!

I totally agree about the lack of interest in motorcycle racing news,and the odd fascination with word association.

track and racing

All I know is that after riding track and racing I'm a much better street rider! And you can race for a couple of years on what you send one a new BMW these days. With AHRMA the people are "mature" so it is not all about speed but skill!

Question?

Dear Becky,

I have been watching and coaching my wife as she learns to ride. You can see some of my posts in the "pretty wife wants to ride" thread, if your at all interested.

After our last ride I asked her how she felt about her cornering. She expressed some added confidence, and I agreed. I've seen great improvement. However, I would like for someone other than me to explain their approach and execution of riding through corners.

We then decided we would look for and share articles and writings about cornering technique. ThatÔÇÖs why IÔÇÖm asking you as a motorcycle racer and as a lady to help us. You all do bring a different prospective to this sport compared to males.:bow

IÔÇÖd love to share your comments, tips, techniques w/ her. Would you be so kind as to consider the following questions and formulate your answers and comments?

How do you set up for a corner? What is your strategy for smooth execution of a turn? What about body position, before and during the turn at speed? Do you have any advice for a newcomer who is starting to ride w/ more confidence, yet feels a little anxious when her arc is too wide or too narrow. How does one safely modify their line inside a turn when obstacles are present and a change of line is necessary?

IÔÇÖm familiar w/ my own techniques, but would appreciate your remarks as a female rider. IÔÇÖm sure that your remarks will provide a springboard for our discussion. Also, your track experience which I hope will inform your answers can help to sharpen our skills beyond my experience.

IÔÇÖd like to then share your comments w/ my wife.

Thx,

Len

I was at Grattan (just a spectator) this past Sunday....I must have seen you and not known!

Back