• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ham Radio Special Event station Possibility

D

dcreichenbach

Without committing myself to doing this, I have read on several previous year's rally forums about the desire for a Ham special event station at the rally site. Could I have some ideas on what may be needed to do something like this?

I live nearer to Columbus than Lima, and I live about 75 minutes from the fairgrounds. I grew up in the Lima area. My first home was near Beaverdam just north of Lima, and I graduated from Ada High. I have freinds in RARA, the Mercer and Auglaize county (Reservoir Area) Radio club.

If any of you have any questions about the rally site or riding in Ohio, please let me know. My own club is the Buckeye Beemers, and I'm looking forward to coming to my first MOA National.

http://www.buckeyebeemers.org/

Special Events station Sounds like a good idea

This post caught my eye ....

I'd think that if it's ok with the organizers and they have a spot that the radio club could setup that would not disrupt anything, it's a great idea and would not even be noticable . The radio station ( which would reach around the US , if not the world ) , would only require a 12v car battery and a 100' piece of copper wire tied between two trees about 20' high.

The radio club could print up some good looking color BMW MOA QSL cards , which would make a nice momento of the event , as well as fun way to get the word out about BMW motorcycles and BMW MOA.

In way of benefit to BMW MOA ,the radio club would publish this special event station in the ARRL ( Amateur Radio Relay League ) monthly magazine , which is a form of advertising. Also , if the station were setup early in the week , it could also be a good source of information specific to this event , for those in route or planning to come later in the week . I know a lot of motorcycle riders ( including myself N2MUZ) that are amateur radio ops , that would enjoy contacting this station .

I'd think all that's required to get this underway , would be to hook up the organizers of this event with the radio club president . The radio club would then take it from there ...

I think it would be great to have a Ham station at the rally. We can call in for weather and road conditions.

By the way, How many hams do we have and what is the type of radio you run on the bike?

Last edited:
IN - This post caught my eye also YES it did! :thumb Ham station at the rally is a good thing. I hope to make this my first MOA National rally. No rig on bike yet. But the special event station would be fun! I hope to see all the BMW hams there. 73s K7TNT Richard new 04 R1150RT :wave

Ham Radio 0n motorcycle

I don't have a radio on my K75C, largely because it doesn't have a fairing , which would make it difficult to install a radio. Though , I have envisioned installing an Icom 706, with remote faceplate on the tank bag and the body of the radio in a saddle bag. I'd likely use 2m / 440 while underway and HF when stopped for lunch or for the evening . I plan on coming out to the rally this year and would be glad to help out at the special events station . Hope to meet some other BMW hams there .

tjtraver said:
I have envisioned installing an Icom 706, with remote faceplate on the tank bag and the body of the radio in a saddle bag.
I like that idea! I may try something like that for this trip. I would run 2m and 6m CW/SSB hand out some grids on the way. I have the Ant's already. I hope to see you all there. :wave

Who wants to organize this?

If one of you guys want to organize something, please contact me off the forum and we can chat. :)

Thanks!

Doing a Special Event Station would be fine but you need to relize that it would need to be maned for it to work out.Using it for road or weather conditions is not really what a S.E.S. is set up for.
Usally you get a Special event Call for the event that is good for just the days the station will be set up. Then you need to have the Dates and Times the station will be in "operation" and on what bands an frequencys so it can be plublished in QST. Then you have to have the station UP and Running at those times that you Plublished. There needs to be some one responsable for that station and the equipment for the entire time that it is set up.

If you have never been to a National Rally, You have no Idea of all the BMW stuff going on at one time, all the good people you will meet. And time some days just pases by some days, that morning you say I'm gonna do this and this, and the next thing you know it's past time to eat dinner and you don't know where the day went but you Sure did have Fun what ever it was that you did!

I have always volenteered for 2 duties at each national rally, that's 4 hours each and some of the best fun at the rally.

Marsh
WA5UBO

Special events station

I agree with you. I'm not recommending that anyone attending the rally ( me included ) , would sit there and play radio rather than attend rally functions. This would have to be a 99% radio club ( not BMW MOA or BMW attendee ) organized and manned operation . I'd expect that BMW rally attendees would just contact the station for info , or drop by to say "hi" , maybe make a couple of guest contacts , but not setup or run the station .

I'd think the radio club would jump at the chance to do a special events station of this sort , if they we're invited . I've sent a note to the originator of this thread to see who the local radio club contact is , to see if they ( or they may know of some other local radio club ) that would have any interest.

tjtraver said:
This would have to be a 99% radio club (not BMW MOA or BMW attendee) organized and manned operation . QUOTE]

Hi folks -
After reading these last several posts, I would not support this idea. If a group of BMW MOA members (who share a common interest) want to set something up and man it, that's one thing.... After all, our event is run almost 100% by volunteers. BUT --- bringing in non-motorcycle-related special interest groups could be a slippery slope, and not one that I would like to navigate.

Once more --- I ask that if anyone wants to chair this committee, set something up, get the volunteers, etc etc - then please contact me off this list. I will try to help facilitate your needs.

sue@beemerhill.com

Thanks again, everyone!

Sue

Yes, maybe this would be fun for the local club or clubs to do? This way we can still do our rally. This many people would be fun for the club to see . Local clubs can handle maybe some messages also! I like the idea of the local clubs getting involved. Besides the good exposure for the ham community there. Would be nice thing for them to do. Someone should just ask, that is all it would maybe take. Good excuse for them to get out to do a public event. :thumb

Please stop and listen, folks.

Nobody should even THINK about asking a group to come into the rally to do this. I will be happy to discuss this on a one-on-one basis.

Thanks -
Sue

Sue Rihn-Manke said:

Nobody should even THINK about asking a group to come into the rally to do this. I will be happy to discuss this on a one-on-one basis.

Thanks -
Sue
To the BMWMOA Hams:
Maybe a static display, if volunteers don't come forward. But I see a place for the Ham radio at the rally. Installing a radio with TNC and GPS and the family can know what is your location, using the internet. The BMWMOA ham community could put it together..... just a thought...

Ham radio at rally ...

I now understand and agree 100% with Sue's position .

This needs to be an BMW MOA run station , chaired by someone from BMW MOA. I plan to arrive at the rally July 21 and leave on the 23rd sometime . I'd be willing to donate some of my time , say 3 - 4 hours , to operate the radio station . If there are 6 - 8 others that could / would want do the same , assuming running the station 10am - 4pm each day , this might work . Anyone else interested ? Todd

Hey everybody, Hams have had a rally presence in the past! Yep, Oshkosh, WI in 1993. It was set up and operated by MOA members who worked closely with the Rally Chair. No outside clubs were involved. Sorry, I don't know who the committee chairs were or the details as to how the event was organized. Just remember seeing the booth and watching members use the radios. Maybe someone has copies of the BMW Owners News from '93 and can find out who the committee chairs were?

Riding Like the Wind (come spring)...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS

Sue Rihn-Manke said:

Thanks -
Sue
S o r r y ! I must be a new guy. :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :D Nobody should even THINK about asking a group to come into the rally Nobody should even THINK about asking a group to come into the rally Nobody should even THINK about asking a group to come into the rally Nobody should even THINK about asking a group to come Nobody should even THINK :doh Now Sue maybe we can still have some fun! :stick I hope to see you there. No matter, I still like the idea of a ham station there. If I have the time I will take my turn and help run the station. Like someone said, I just may be looking at all the BMW stuff and not find the shack at all!!! 73s :wave

SES is more likely than ever.

Happy New Year.

I've contacted Sue and I KNOW that this can be done in a way that will satisfy her requirements.

Ok. I volenteer to be the chair of this committee and get things organized.

First of all, do we want to discuss this openly on this board or set up a temporary email reflector for passing messages between the committee members.

Personally, I would prefer to use email.

Dick R.
KC8OBZ

dcreichenbach said:
Happy New Year.

I've contacted Sue and I KNOW that this can be done in a way that will satisfy her requirements.

Ok. I volenteer to be the chair of this committee and get things organized.

First of all, do we want to discuss this openly on this board or set up a temporary email reflector for passing messages between the committee members.

Personally, I would prefer to use email.

Dick R.
KC8OBZ

Well, You're the 'Boss'. how do you want to do it?

.-.. . - ... / -. --- - / - . . -.. .-.. / ... ..- . / .- -. -.. / .. -. ...- .. - . / - .... ,- - / .-.. --- -.-- .- .-.. / -.-. .-.. ..- -.../ :D

Randy
formally WB2JGH

Hams at Beemerville

I'm a new member of MOA and hope to be present at this years rally.

My new beemer is coming to the dealer next month but won't have any amateur radio (ham) installed untill I get some other basic equipment such as saddle bags, crash bars etc... (I'm developing quite a wish list).

With any luck, I will bring a portable VHF/UHF 2-way and if I have room in my baggage, a low power HF radio.

If an event station is set up at beemerville I will definitely stop by and say hello, and maybe make a few contacts... :)

See you in July

Jim,
va3kv.com
Rockland Ontario, Canada (near Ottawa)
R1200GS coming soon,...on the road when the snow melts...hopefully in April.

Back